ceramic coating on stainless steel headers

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a straight answer. I have a new set of American Racing Headers , in 304 SS. I have heard arguments , that it isn't worth getting stainless heads ceramic coated. Ive read that they insolate heat better than mild steel tubes do.
My primary consideration is keeping underhood temperatures as low as possible.
So my question is, do stainless steel headers that are ceramic coated, reduce underhood temperatures enough to warrant spending the money to get them coated ? Again, I have heard varying opinions on this.
I personally think that headers get hot, period. And anything you can do to keep temps down is a plus.
So what do you guys think ? Is it worth the effort to ceramic coat stainless steel headers ?

Last edited:

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
obviously you are struggling with this I think this is the 4th thread you started basically asking the same question

I had my ARH LT's coated by Jet-Hot and was very happy with my $400 investment

It all is up to you and your budget, mods are like assholes, I mean opinions are like assholes everyone has them. I do mods that some folks think are worthless and stupid

The Bob's Auto Axle reservoir vs the turkey baster as an example $100 difference in the two

Good luck deciding
Andrew

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a straight answer. I have a new set of American Racing Headers , in 304 SS. I have heard arguments , that it isn't worth getting stainless heads ceramic coated. Ive read that they insolate heat better than mild steel tubes do.
My primary consideration is keeping underhood temperatures as low as possible.
So my question is, do stainless steel headers that are ceramic coated, reduce underhood temperatures enough to warrant spending the money to get them coated ? Again, I have heard varying opinions on this.
I personally think that headers get hot, period. And anything you can do to keep temps down is a plus.
So what do you guys think ? Is it worth the effort to ceramic coat stainless steel headers ?

My JBA LT's are titanium ceramic coated ( they also offer silver ceramic coated....good for 100F less than the titanium ceramic version). The JBA's are SS... but use I think 406 alloy SS.

Yes, the underhood temp reduction is well worth it.... like 40deg F. It's blatantly obvious. OK, when the LT's went in....they were installed in conjunction with a JBA catted H midsection. I firmly believe the OEM cats at the base of the eng bay is what cooks the eng bay. They would hit 1850 F on the aeroforce gauges.

I can touch any of the 8 primary tubes after 3 mins of shutting the eng off with my bare fingers.

Between the new high flow cats..now residing down below the drivers seat..plus the ceramic coated headers... I ended up with a huge eng bay temp redux. How much came from the new cats not being in the eng bay.....and how much from the ceramic coating is debatable.

My LT's are ceramic coated inside and outside. The temps inside the LT's are hotter of course.... but the hotter the combustion products, the faster it flows...so it comes out a wash.

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
Thankyou for the input gentlemen. Yes I have pondered this for a while. I am going to get them ceramic coated.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Look at swaitech's website before you do.

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
obviously you are struggling with this I think this is the 4th thread you started basically asking the same question

I had to check the date to see if this was one of his previous threads..:kinky:

Randy you ask too many questions......:evillaugh:

I give him credit tho...he hasn't started a how much HP can my bottom end handle?

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
Lava wrap is a good option and it's probably more effective than the coating. But you could also wrap them after their coated.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back