Changing ATF in the 5-speed

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I will also recommend the Pennzoil Synchromesh. I drag raced my 2009 Bullitt and tried a couple different fluids, none were anywhere near as smooth as the Pennzoil. I also used it in my 2014 GT. And sorry but I will never buy any product from RP. Just another mediocre brand with purple dye and an ultra high profit margin. Nothing wrong with it but nothing special either.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is related to transmission fluid, but the whole console, and especially the shifter (Hurst) puts out lots of heat. I haven’t had a chance to measure the temp yet but it seems unusually hot after 10 minutes or so of running. Anyone have this issue?

If you're getting alot of heat, the shifter to body boot might be torn, not installed correctly or missing.

rdsx18

forum member
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is related to transmission fluid, but the whole console, and especially the shifter (Hurst) puts out lots of heat. I haven’t had a chance to measure the temp yet but it seems unusually hot after 10 minutes or so of running. Anyone have this issue?
I checked this yesterday out of curiosity and my assembly stays cool, basically ambient temp. I have an aftermarket shifter too, Pro 5.0 IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I drained the ATF on Sunday and added 3.2qt of Mobil 1 ATF. Shifting does seem to be a little smoother, but I can't quantify it.

dokotadog

Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 GT, 38K miles. Previous owner kept meticulous records, but didn't change the 5 speed manual transmission fluid. I used Redline D4, easy job. Doesn't seem any better or worse, but I feel better! And BTW, don't buy a pump! Bring the tygon tube into the side fill hole from the top, through the shifter. I read about it and figured it out too late, so I have cheap pump still in the box lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back