Changing ATF in the 5-speed

Discussion in '2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L Tech' started by MasterofDisaster, Apr 14, 2021.

1. MasterofDisaster

MasterofDisaster Member

How often do all y'all change the ATF in your 5-speed?

I changed to synthetic around 10,000 miles. Car now has 117k.

The 2008 Model Year Scheduled Maintenance Guide has nothing specific. Trucks are supposed to change at 105k. With cars it appears not be recommended unless you have SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS, in which case it says to change every 60k.

2. Juice

Juice forum member

Personally, I change it when I feel it needs it, but I open track. Manual transmissions are not too hard on fluid. If you look in the owners manual, it probably says: service not needed, or "life time".
    Wont hurt but not needed. If you have any issues with shifting, trans fluid change probably wont help.

3. MasterofDisaster

MasterofDisaster Member

Thanks! My only issues with shifting are a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

gbstang and Rugermack like this.
  4. Laga

Laga Member

50K miles.

MasterofDisaster likes this.
  5. 2526Bullitt

2526Bullitt forum member

I change mine every 40k to 50k but I use Pennzoil Synchromesh..has served me pretty well especially when it's cold. I have used several oils (ATF) before but the pennnzoil synchromesh has really made the transmission feel smoother. I do have a Barton short shifter and a blow fish shifter relocation bracket which also made a huge difference.

skwerl and MasterofDisaster like this.
  6. 86GT351

86GT351 forum member

Can't hurt to change with that much mileage on it even if the manual says nothing.

MasterofDisaster likes this.
  7. MasterofDisaster

MasterofDisaster Member

Thanks. I figure it can't hurt, and it doesn't cost much.

8. MasterofDisaster

MasterofDisaster Member

Thanks. I had changed to RP because of the cold shifting issue.

9. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

I wouldn't count on "SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS" including HPDE road course time. Which I suspect should be tied to some number of hours rather than some other number of miles. 4 or 5 total hours at a fairly serious track pace might not be unreasonable at all.

Norm

10. MasterofDisaster

MasterofDisaster Member

Norm! Thanks. My car is a daily driver, and I've never taken it to the track. It only holds 3.2quarts, so it's not too expensive.

11. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

3.2 qts or 3.2 gallons? I think my cars tranny capacity is like 12 qts.

But I change all fluids every 30K, rear end, brake, P/S and coolant. I've only changed my tranny fluid once as I have replaced the actual tranny a couple of times now.

12. 2526Bullitt

2526Bullitt forum member

If you have the 3650 transmission ( 5 speed manual) it should be around 3.2 qtrs

13. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

My bad, I saw ATF fluid and didn't notice the 5 speed.

14. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

Time was when only automatic transmissions used ATF . . .

Norm

15. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

Yeah, that shit still weirds me out.

16. RED09GT

RED09GT Equal Opportunity Offender S197 Team Member

And all that adds to the confusion since both auto and manual are 5 speeds on the 3v's...

Just as long as no one finds a way to get 12 quarts of fluid in their TR3650.

2526Bullitt likes this.
  17. Juice

Juice forum member

lol 4-5 hours of serious track use would mean fluid replacement at almost every event.

18. rdsx18

rdsx18 forum member

I just changed mine today, 48k miles but figured it wouldn't hurt to get the 16 year old fluid out and put fresh stuff in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

19. Warren

Warren Junior Member

I don’t know if this is related to transmission fluid, but the whole console, and especially the shifter (Hurst) puts out lots of heat. I haven’t had a chance to measure the temp yet but it seems unusually hot after 10 minutes or so of running. Anyone have this issue?

20. MasterofDisaster

MasterofDisaster Member

I have not had that problem with heat as the hottest place I've had this car was Virginia. I can say the metal shift knob was brutally cold in the winter in Michigan. If it conducts heat away from the interior, it will certain conduct heat into the interior.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.