Clutch recommendations

falconsprint

Reaction score
My son is looking to replace the clutch, pressure plate, etc. It's on a 2005 GT, 4.6, 3 valve, SOHC with a 5 speed.
Rather than spending hours trying to find the best clutch kit, I was hoping some of your experiences would help me.
Looking for a clutch suitable for very hard Street driving. Engine only has a good tune, CAI and cat back exhaust.
Any and all recommendations will be appreciated.
Thank you !
Jerome.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I took mine to a race shop because the slave cylinder was leaking. I just told them to get a clutch kit from the ford dealer and put it in. Pretty sure it was repackaged aftermarket stuff but it drives fine.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I usually replace wear parts with performance upgrade, when it comes to Senors etc. then I go directly to OEM Ford Motorcraft.

If a shop is doing it, then let them provide you with options... There should be warranty attached to this... FYI some place don't like to install customer supplied parts.

If you're doing it yourself, then there are a lot of vendors that have quality performance replacement clutch kits.

Stock is fine if your Son is just going to use the car as usual. If he plans on "Hot Rodding" it in the future, then a performance upgrade might be in order. You mention "Hard street driving" so this makes me lean towards a performance set up.

Just my .02 cents.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't get anything other than a stock clutch if you don't have a power adder. It doesn't drive as good.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
the exedy clutch mach series are great packages and have great street manners through the mach 500 organic setup. many come with the throw out bearing but u have to ask. ive used exedy exclusively after wasting money on a mcloed twin disk i hated.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
the exedy clutch mach series are great packages and have great street manners through the mach 500 organic setup. many come with the throw out bearing but u have to ask. ive used exedy exclusively after wasting money on a mcloed twin disk i hated.
Hi falconsprint,
+1 in agreement w\ this.............I currently run an Exedy Mach 500 Grooved PP Clutch Kit w\ Exedy HP Lightened CM Flywheel package w\ very good results over the last 4 1\2+ yrs & still going strong.

Hope this helps.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Like Glasstop I also ran the exedy lightened steel flywheel on both the 05 and 13 setups. Its a shame the flywheel is hidden inside a bell housing. The workmanship is premo.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll 3rd the Exedy. I've had a few, all were very good. The Mach 500 is going to be noticeably stiffer on the clutch pedal, it will cost more and hold more power than you have. If it were my car, I'd go with the Mach 400 with the light steel flywheel.

BlueTrk06

Reaction score
Chiming in with my 2 cents. I drove an 08 GT500 and the clutch was extremely hard to push in the pedal compared to my 06 GT. Are the aftermarket clutches mentioned in this thread any different?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Hard pedal maybe an idication of the clutch near end of life. They get that way well before any slipping starts.

I will only use Centerforce. Maintains stock pedal feel.
Exedy I never had one, sounds like its a good clutch based on responses.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Mines a MT82, but I just put an Exedy Mach 500 and their lightened flywheel in my '12 GT. Absolutely love it. Another one of those things I wish I would of done years ago. You don't realize how junk the stock unit is until you get something good in there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back