Considering a 5.4 build/swap please advise

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
And with my shitty job, things like that are not really in the plausible zone.

So bolt ons for this motor it will be.

Should be easier on the motor since I baby it anyway.
lol
All they do is increase it's efficiency, I'm not force feeding anything. I think the only added stress will be added RPMs due to the 4.10s

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Is this only the stock exhaust manifolds or do long tubes fit with the lower motor mounts

LT will fit, but you my need to mod 1 tube around the steering shaft. I think the BBK's will work fine.

OP, 3v's have been in service for 8 years, nothing new. Seen then go over 300,000 miles. After reading all post over again. I think Bruce is correct, Get yourself a forged rotating assembly, rebuild you 4.6, and then get a blower. The cost of intake manifold alone will pay for the rods, pistons, and crank.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
LT will fit, but you my need to mod 1 tube around the steering shaft. I think the BBK's will work fine.

OP, 3v's have been in service for 8 years, nothing new. Seen then go over 300,000 miles. After reading all post over again. I think Bruce is correct, Get yourself a forged rotating assembly, rebuild you 4.6, and then get a blower. The cost of intake manifold alone will pay for the rods, pistons, and crank.

Sweet. I have BBKs lol thanks

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
Simple rebuild then blown...I could roll with that.

Now Correct me if I'm wrong, I very well could be.

But if I go forged and lower power will that extend life, assuming I don't romp it?

I ask because when I had my fox, I only upgraded so I could push more, not because I cared how long it ran.

I've been looking at internals, I was looking at Probe, or Mahle.

I may have to make a thread dedicated to 4.6 ideas.

Thanks for giving me some more to think about!

gil_t2

Reaction score
Simple rebuild then blown...I could roll with that.

Now Correct me if I'm wrong, I very well could be.

But if I go forged and lower power will that extend life, assuming I don't romp it?

I ask because when I had my fox, I only upgraded so I could push more, not because I cared how long it ran.

I've been looking at internals, I was looking at Probe, or Mahle.

I may have to make a thread dedicated to 4.6 ideas.

Thanks for giving me some more to think about!

Question, how does forged equal, or go with lower power. If you are that worred about engine life then leave it stock. I am realy having a problem keeping up with where you are going. I not being mean or an AH, but this forum is full of all the ideas for the 4.6 thats out there. Don't need you to start another thread.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Question, how does forged equal, or go with lower power. If you are that worred about engine life then leave it stock. I am realy having a problem keeping up with where you are going. I not being mean or an AH, but this forum is full of all the ideas for the 4.6 thats out there. Don't need you to start another thread.

Do you know who sells the 1" lower mounts by chance?

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
I think UPR or BMR had a set????
Also Brenspeed has a set that they say is good for altering yourself...hope that helps.

As for me, yeah I'm going in circles.
That's why I'm asking :)

This is the problem I have when I switch cars, the game changes and the vast majority of what I know no longer applies.
If only ford had kept the Pushrod in these...I wouldn't be asking too many questions...

I've got 3K saved so far. That's a start.
I'm just torn between a 5.4 or staying 4.6, thats why I named the thread considering, so far I've gotten a lot of solid advice on both fronts.
I'm much more informed now especially about the 5.4, I didn't even know if I could put one in without HUGE fabrication.

I was considering spraying, but many people advised against it.
I looked further and decided it may not be what I was looking for after all.

The only issue I've found so far with reading other's threads, is I'm not looking for near as much as them....

But as long as I don't get the boot from the site, I'll keep digging for ideas for my build.
It's a great site, a lot less bickering and much more knowledgeable people.

Last edited:

gil_t2

Reaction score
I think UPR or BMR had a set????
Also Brenspeed has a set that they say is good for altering yourself...hope that helps.

As for me, yeah I'm going in circles.
That's why I'm asking :)

This is the problem I have when I switch cars, the game changes and the vast majority of what I know no longer applies.
If only ford had kept the Pushrod in these...I wouldn't be asking too many questions...

I've got 3K saved so far. That's a start.
I'm just torn between a 5.4 or staying 4.6, thats why I named the thread considering, so far I've gotten a lot of solid advice on both fronts.
I'm much more informed now especially about the 5.4, I didn't even know if I could put one in without HUGE fabrication.

I was considering spraying, but many people advised against it.
I looked further and decided it may not be what I was looking for after all.

The only issue I've found so far with reading other's threads, is I'm not looking for near as much as them....

But as long as I don't get the boot from the site, I'll keep digging for ideas for my build.
It's a great site, a lot less bickering and much more knowledgeable people.

That is cool, there is a lot of fabing for the 5.4 3v. Remember it is only 330 CI, if you got a stroker kit for you 4.6 you will be at 302 CI and you will have a block that can take any thing you get in the future. Also remember when reading some of the post you will read more bad than good, that just the way it go's most people are looking for answer's to there problem. bottom line is this, it will cost you 3 to 4 thousand more to go with a 5.4 3v. You will not find alot of used parts, intake will cost at least $1,200 if you find one used.

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree on the 5.4 angle.

My main reasoning for that idea was this:

I like to go out, go to shows, you just be around when the fun happens.
A bolt on 4.6 is only so impressive. Sure it may be a blast to drive, but that's it.

A bolt on 5.4 is not only fun to drive due to the torque shelf, but it's also a little one off.
And trucks run forever. I have a friend with a 2v 5.4 with 423K still running strong.
That was VERY appealing to me, and I figured it would be even less stress on the motor hauling my lighter car around.

But I'm just weird that way.

The only solid plan I made was for the motor in the car right now.
Full bolt ons, and an NSR to be determined.
Either FRPP Brenspeed, or BBR.

Again sorry about running in circles, but the moment I think I've fully decided, something comes up. Which is why I'm on the net most of the time searching.

I just post here because you guys know alot about these cars.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
You could take the 4.6L and do a 302 stroker with a forged rotating assembly and throw as much boost at it as you want. The 4.6 block is capable of holding 1000HP so durability is not an issue. With a 302 stroker the engine will be lighter than the 5.4 and the 5.4 is going to be producing the same amount of HP as the 302 stroker so it would be faster plus the availability of aftermarket parts is far greater than with the 5.4L. Also when you go to a car show I bet you that you will be the only one there with a 302 stroker.

calispecial08

forum member
Reaction score
Having a built 302 with a blower on it would be plenty to talk about ;)

My dads duramax diesel has 300k on it and my '99 ranger has 250k on it, doesn't mean I'm swapping the 6.6 turbo or the 4.0 in my car anytime soon! Lol

sharkbaits

forum member
Reaction score
5.4 swap are plenty of fun. Especially on the street.

I was just driving mine last night and had a blast. Mines a lightning swapped 2v though.

I can still easily spin it to 5500. I think she put down 410rwhp 530rwtq last night lol, its enough to have fun with.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score

I was just driving mine last night and had a blast. Mines a lightning swapped 2v though.

I can still easily spin it to 5500. I think she put down 410rwhp 530rwtq last night lol, its enough to have fun with.

You have a lightning blower on it?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Do you have a pic of your 5.4 N/A intake and would it fit the 2011 5.4 aluminum block? Do 3 valve heads even fit the new aluminum block?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back