Convince me...8" vs 9" width

garner

forum member
Reaction score
Wow I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. I'm so used to 275/60/20 on 8" wheels and 285/45/22 on 9" wheels with my trucks that no 275 on an 8" wheel is super different lol

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
on the trucks you have more sidewall and more of the tread is off the ground due to the off road nature of the tire design. sports cars with sub 50 series tires are a different story.

when the tread is closer to the rim there is less forgiveness in the difference between rim width and tread width.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Wow I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. I'm so used to 275/60/20 on 8" wheels and 285/45/22 on 9" wheels with my trucks that no 275 on an 8" wheel is super different lol

I have 275/60/15 on 15x8 and 275/50/17 on 17x8. Both are within manufacturers specs too.

The aspect ratio is everything. Blanket statements don't fit when it comes to wheels and tires. I've also run 305/45/18 on 9.5x18 and they were in spec.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
stock 235's vs lowered 1" and Nitto NT555 Front: 255/45ZR 18 Rear: 265/55ZR 18 on stock 8.5 rims

Picture1_zps047c0df9.png

dcarlson

forum member
Reaction score
A little off the topic of what you main concern is, but I routinely see cars loose 3 to 5 horsepower at the wheels on our dyno when going to a bigger wheel. On my own car the switch from a factory 17 x 8 tribar wheel with a 245-45-17 tire to a factory 17 x 9 '04 Cobra wheel with a 274-40-17 tire showed 6 horsepower less on the dyno. There is a lot more rim mass far out from center and a lot more rolling resistance with a wider wheel.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
generally speaking 18in wheels look better, give better handling, allow for bigger brakes, and allow for certain suspension mods that would otherwise not be possible with 17in wheels.

those are some reasons why so many people do it.

from what I have heard, and what makes sence, is you really start seeing a diffrence when you go to 19s and 20s. 5-6 whp does not mean much to a lot of people

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
stock 235's vs lowered 1" and Nitto NT555 Front: 255/45ZR 18 Rear: 265/55ZR 18 on stock 8.5 rims

Picture1_zps047c0df9.png

It really looks better with more sidewall IMO. Nitto also makes a 265/50/18 that will safely fit on an 8.5" wheel.

I also think the polished 18" Bullitts are one of the best factory wheels. Often times I wish I still had mine. If I would of known about the 265/50/18 tires I never would of sold them, I think.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It really looks better with more sidewall IMO.

yep

IMAG0298.jpg

I also think the polished 18" Bullitts are one of the best factory wheels. Often times I wish I still had mine.

100% I agree, when I ordered my 06GT in Nov 05 - they were just first introduced as a option, I jumped at adding them, never thought about changing them. Thought about widening the rears, just never did, once I found a 265/40/18 DR that worked, I didn't love the look at they were short.

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score
well thanks for all the food for thought. I really liked the idea (and look!) of the chrome 8.5" wide bullitts with 255 but I didn't like how much they tuck into the fender. didn't want spacers.. I ended up finding a good deal on a set of Brembo wheels/tires and I couldn't pass it up. so I'm on the 255/40/19s for now, and am hoping to find a 265 when these run out else I'll stick with the 255s.

Last edited:

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
well thanks for all the food for thought. I really liked the idea (and look!) of the chrome 8.5" wide bullitts with 255 but I didn't like how much they tuck into the fender. didn't want spacers.. I ended up finding a good deal on a set of Brembo wheels/tires and I couldn't pass it up. so I'm on the 255/40/19s for now, and am hoping to find a 265 when these run out else I'll stick with the 255s.

Cool man, can't go wrong with brembo's. So you ditched the drifts?
Personally I like the 255 with a 8.5" rims. I wouldn't stepup to a 275 till a 10" rim.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running 275s square. What is this tramlining you speak of??

I have been lead astray several times by car forums, however when a certain mass of people say 275 fronts tramline on the street I don't want to take the chance with my money.

I notice my 275s on the rear tend to tramline a little. but only enough to make me worry if I was doing like 85 in the rain. I imagine the fronts would be a different story since those wheels do the turning.

I suppose you don't experience much tramlining? that being said remember people have different standards for ride quality. the idea of controlling a monster of a car with you bare hands is being lost. Mustangs and camaros are expected to ride like Mercedes these days.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm running 275s square. What is this tramlining you speak of??
Guess you don't have much seat time in places like Boston, MA or other cities where trolley tracks occasionally share pavement with car traffic.

Cross a rail at a shallow angle and it'll feel like most of the steering that's going on has nothing to do with what you're doing with the steering wheel where usually you don't want any steering at all. Truck ruts on the highways can provide a similar experience, more often with wider tires but particularly so with some tires but not others. Sometimes a bad case of toe-out can mildly mimic this over certain pavement conditions.

Norm

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I was just playing. But seriously, between installing handling suspension, running wider tires, and zeroing out the toe angle, I'm used to a non-stock ride quality. The issue of tramlining never enters my consciousness, and I put A LOT of miles on my cars every day.

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score
Cool man, can't go wrong with brembo's. So you ditched the drifts?
Thanks. They are very pretty wheels IMO but not perfect...close though. I still have the drifts on the car with all seasons. Planning to use them through the cold and then put on the brembos and sell the drifts.

the idea of controlling a monster of a car with you bare hands is being lost. Mustangs and camaros are expected to ride like Mercedes these days.
amen to that. These cars have come a long way but I still want to drive a muscle car!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back