Help me choose suspension/ rear tires

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Im pretty much lost on all the options available so hoping to get some help...

Bought my 2010 gt about a year ago, over the past 6 months been hearing alot of suspension clicks and pops and suspect strut mounts and/or balljoints.

Id like a mild drop in ride height anyway (just an inch or two) so figured Id just go through the whole suspension system.

Some of the suspension kits are $1500 or more and wondered if im better off going with a kit or piecing it together?

Im going to go with gt500 strut mounts and control arms with the upgraded balljoints.
Other than that I need suggestions for struts,coils,shocks and any other supporting mods.
Maybe rear lower control arm upgrade .
I dont like the rear axle play but only drive short trips to work and if im getting on it its usually in a straight line so saying that...... are aftermarket panhard bars, upper control arm something I should consider as well?

I plan on 4:10 gears soon and blower within the next few years.
I just want to eliminate wheel hop and get the power to the ground.

which brings me to tires...
The factory nitto NT555's (i have on factory rims currently) seem to get good reviews for traction for a street tire but mine seem to break loose way more than some cheap achilles tires I bought for my 18" staggered bullit rims..... problem is I took the bullits off because I ordered the same size rear tires as what I was replacing on the rears and they are noticeably shorter profile even though they are the same size specs. That and they seemed to pick up every possible bit of road debris and fling them at my fender so bad that it sounded like my car was being sandblasted.
Im going to have these 18" bullit rims sandblasted and powdercoated and would like to find some good traction street tires for the rears that will hook up well. I dont like how the tires I have on the rear of those bullit rims seem to be shorter sidewall profile than the fronts .... Is there a popular rear tire size for these staggered wide rear 18" bullits that I should consider?
Maybe I should order a couple 16" rear bullits for larger sidewalls/profile to get more rubber/grip?

Just looking for thoughts/opinions on common or popular suspension mods and rim/tire combos that would fit my driving style and future upgrades....thanks!

Last edited:

JJ427R

Reaction score
I have the Roush Sport suspension on my 2010 427r and I've been very happy with it. 50,000 miles and about 25 track days with only a front stabilizer bushing replaced. Fairly reasonable in price and I believe you can find other vendors that have it cheaper than directly thru Roush, check Summit Racing. If your not looking for a full blown race suspension IMO its a very good option. Says 1 inch drop but believe its closer to 1 1/2.
https://www.roushperformance.com/pa...ategory/mustang-suspension-kit-2005-2010.html

Tires I have 20" Roush wheels with 275/35/20 Mickey Thompson Street Comps, I've been pretty happy with them for their price and have been running those for the last few years, I'm on my 3rd or 4th set, can't remember.... I recently purchased Firestone Indy 500's same size but won't have em on until spring so can't comment on those yet.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I second the MT street comps. Probably one of the best rear tires I’ve run and I’ve gone through them all. Here is how I rate them from best to worst as far as traction.

MT Street R
MT Street S/S
MT Street Comp
Nitto NT05R
Nitto 555R

The regular 555’s don’t even make the list. Now if you have to deal with wet roads on any kind of regular basis I would knock the first two off the list and go with the street comps.

And just a brief review on tire sizing. When lookin at sidewalk height it is the first number times the second number or aspect ratio. So tired with the same profile or aspect ratio will not always have the same height or profile if you increase or decrease the width. A 255/45/18 is 27” tall while a 395/45/18 will be almost 29” tall. So the same aspect or profile ratio can be an actual different height based on tire width. I think that is why your rear tires are shorter with a narrower width and the same aspect ratio.

Tire diameter makes a difference in your final drive or axle ratio. You should think about this as you said you were planning a gear change and adding power. I run a 28.8” rear tire with 4.10 gears which makes my effective gear ratio like 3.83 which seems perfect with my twin screw supercharger.

For suspension I would go with BMR. My personal favorite when it comes to well built parts and outstanding customer service. They have different springs for different drops. I have also had Eibach ProKit springs on there that were good and might be perfect for the drop you want. If you drop the suspension you probably will need some kind of adjustable panhard bar. As far as shocks the best you can get for general daily duty I would say are the Bilstein HD’s. They are pricey but the best street shock/strut combo I’ve run.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!
I think I will go with the MT street comps in the rear.

Long story short..... life happens and now have less money to spend on the car
I can spend maybe $1500 to get my suspension set right.
Not sure if id be better off going with a suspension kit like the roush and https://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-koni-handling-performance-package-level-2-red-0510-gt.html

Or if I should just get struts,shocks,springs.... and the money saved on keeping factory swaybars could go towards rear upper/lower control arms?
Do the aftermarket swaybars make a noticeable difference or would that money be better spent controlling wheel hop?

thanks again !

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Trying to decide between M&H Racemasters and MT S/S.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
After alot of thought ive decided against lowering shocks/springs right now. Theres alot of appearance stuff i need to do like repaint faded bumpers and might get the raxiom v2 tail lights and rear window louver.

That said.... i do want to fill the fender well gap some and wondering whats the biggest tires i can run on my 18x10 rear rims? I realize ill make the gear ratio taller going with tires bigger than stock but plan on 4.10s this summer to offset that.
I still plan on replacing front control arms with gt500 arms/balljoints as i think that where my popping noise is coming from

Thanks !

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JJ427R

Reaction score
If doing 4:10 gears I'm assuming you are looking for a drag tire??? I have Mickey Thompson ET Streets 305/45/18 on 18x10 Roush wheels. They will fill your wheel well quite nicely. It is a 29" tire.

MickeyWheel_zpsryzavsvt.jpg

Last edited:

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
Do the aftermarket swaybars make a noticeable difference or would that money be better spent controlling wheel hop?

If you are primarily concerned with straight line performance, I would keep the stock sways and get an 11-14 style rear upper control arm mount and rear lower arms from MM, BMR, or Whiteline. That will very much take care of the insane wheel hop those cars are prone to.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
I still plan on replacing front control arms with gt500 arms/balljoints as i think that where my popping noise is coming from

Don't replace those parts and still use the high mileage struts and mounts.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Don't replace those parts and still use the high mileage struts and mounts.
Yeah... maybe ill replace front control arms, struts/coils and do the back later.... wonder how bad it would look with small drop in front with stock rear

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
If you are primarily concerned with straight line performance, I would keep the stock sways and get an 11-14 style rear upper control arm mount and rear lower arms from MM, BMR, or Whiteline. That will very much take care of the insane wheel hop those cars are prone to.
Yeah.... thats how im leaning right now

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
If doing 4:10 gears I'm assuming you are looking for a drag tire??? I have Mickey Thompson ET Streets 305/45/18 on 18x10 Roush wheels. They will fill your wheel well quite nicely. It is a 29" tire.

MickeyWheel_zpsryzavsvt.jpg
That does fill the well gap good. Is that factory height or did you drop it? Whats your front wheel/tire specs? I like those rims... do you have any full car pics?

JJ427R

Reaction score
Roush Sport suspension that came on the car. My front's are my daily 20" Roush wheel with 275/35/20 MT Street Comps, was always going to get the 18's for the front but just never did. Was initially going to do a drag car but I got into track days. I still try to get on the 1/4 mile at least once a year though.... This was the similar setup that was on the 2012 Roush Track Practice Development car.
https://www.roushperformance.com/bl...g-our-new-track-practice-and-development-car/
IMG_1985_zpsyky1ugqc.jpg

Last edited:

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Roush Sport suspension that came on the car. My front's are my daily 20" Roush wheel with 275/35/20 MT Street Comps, was always going to get the 18's for the front but just never did. Was initially going to do a drag car but I got into track days. I still try to get on the 1/4 mile at least once a year though.... This was the similar setup that was on the 2012 Roush Track Practice Development car.
https://www.roushperformance.com/bl...g-our-new-track-practice-and-development-car/

8f6fde75-6809-4211-bb9d-4067fdaaae15_zps9898b146.jpg
I like it. Maybe ill keep 18" bullits on rear with big tire and order a couple 20" bullits for front. Need to think and read on it more.

JJ427R

Reaction score
I put a better pic above, here's another pic since I'm in the sharing mood today...

IMG_2205_zpsnpidxnio.jpg

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
I like that 18" rear 20" front setup!

Was going to get this...
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?page=products&vehicleid=1&catid=130&productid=1114
with some gt500 strut mounts but doing alot of reading noticed several people having noise with the gt500 mounts so now thinking about this set from steeda...

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-spring-shocks-strut-mount-package-555-8414.html
and front lower control arms...
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S197-...ts-Bumpsteer-Kit-Combo-2005-2010_p_16620.html
or...
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-front-controlarms-0511gt.html

Later on I would replace rear control arms and panhard

any thoughts?
any other hardware or bushings ill need?

forum member
Reaction score
with some gt500 strut mounts but doing alot of reading noticed several people having noise with the gt500 mounts so now thinking about this set from steeda.....

I have GT500 strut mounts on my car and I have no noise issues with them.

I don't want to high jack the thread but I do have a question for those who are running M/T ET Street SS tires. How do those tires hook at the drag strip? It looks like I will be doing much less drag racing with my car (maybe 2-3 times this year) and my car will more street than strip. Since that will be the case, I don't want to run my 275/60/15 rears and 17 inch fronts anymore. I got great traction on street and strip with MT ET Streets and I am wondering how much I will loose with 18" MT ET Street SS. They are pricey.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I fuckin hate Photofucket these days ...

Someguy

Reaction score
I have the Roush Sport suspension on my 2010 427r and I've been very happy with it. 50,000 miles and about 25 track days with only a front stabilizer bushing replaced. Fairly reasonable in price and I believe you can find other vendors that have it cheaper than directly thru Roush, check Summit Racing. If your not looking for a full blown race suspension IMO its a very good option. Says 1 inch drop but believe its closer to 1 1/2.
https://www.roushperformance.com/pa...ategory/mustang-suspension-kit-2005-2010.html

Tires I have 20" Roush wheels with 275/35/20 Mickey Thompson Street Comps, I've been pretty happy with them for their price and have been running those for the last few years, I'm on my 3rd or 4th set, can't remember.... I recently purchased Firestone Indy 500's same size but won't have em on until spring so can't comment on those yet.
Just a quick question.... If I read correctly you have done track days with the MT street comps? I bought my car with these in the back, and if they are good enough I'll also get them for the front before going to track days. My car does need to be driven on the streets so cant have dedicated track tires on them.

Interestingly my buddy just bought a track prepped car that came with Firestone indy 500s. We will also find out how they perform

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back