Cordless Impact for lugnuts...etc.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Finally broke down after changing rear tires from street to DR's and back again for the past 2-3 years the old fashioned way and spent some money on a 1/2' cordless impact wrench last evening. Had narrowed it down to a Dewalt that spec'd 400 ft/lb which would run me about $329 at Home Depot (buying all separates) in store. Decided to check out Lowes since they still offer a military veteran's discount and they advertised their Kobalt 24V cordless to have 650 ft/lb at $249. So to save 80 smackers (and get my vet's discount) I decided to give it try. Worst case it would fall way short and I'd come back to get the Dewalt.

Got it home and unboxed it. The tool is HEAVY! Heavy like a pneumatic impact. Charged up the battery which took about an hour and decided to swap rubber for Friday night TT. I torque lug nuts to 105 ft/lb with a torque wrench...yes I am anal about that. So skeptical I was expecting this thing to crap out. Shoot!!! That Kobalt yanked those lug nuts off like they were attached to a chipmunk. Put the new tires on ran them all down lightly, set the torque with a torque wrench to 105 ft/lb and just for fun hit them (tighten) again with the impact and it put another 1/8th turn on the first one before I knew it.

This is a great unit for the price If the Chinese that built it did a better job assembling these than they have on the Getrag MT-82 in the past. LOL!

Two thumbs up. Highly recommend.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Dewalt is awesome no doubt. I just wasn't looking to invest that much money. BTW - Stop by the Romero's @ Garnett and Mission Blvd and have a Carne Asada Burrito for me next chance you get. DAG I MISS THAT FOOD!...AND THE BEACH!

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the Rigid battery powered impact. Great for whipping wheels on and off. IIRC, it was $119 for the tool, and I already had two batteries and a bunch of other tools from a set I purchased. Best part is all the tools and batteries have a lifetime warranty, and they actually honor it at Home Depot (I had one battery fail).

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Dewalt is awesome no doubt. I just wasn't looking to invest that much money. BTW - Stop by the Romero's @ Garnett and Mission Blvd and have a Carne Asada Burrito for me next chance you get. DAG I MISS THAT FOOD!...AND THE BEACH!
I was lucky that I had the batteries and charger from a sawzall I already had. Do the impact investment was low for me.

Lol. I live in Clairemont. Right down the street from Garnett. I usually get my carne and pollo asada from a local store. Good stuff.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Good thread. Good info. I still need to get a proper cordless impact for changing wheels and stuff.

morrowstang95

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Kobalt one. Had it a year and a half with no problems. Hell i used it to change my tranny and all.

travelers

Reaction score
Home Depot has the veterans discount, I just used mine today but it seems that not all stores abide by the policies I also have a Dewalt one

Silverhorse.s197

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
i have a Milwaukee Fuel 1/2" impact driver in my service truck . I was snapping off 5/8" Grade 5 bolts with it . Ended up buying one for my garage . Think i had around 300 in it after a rebate fastenal was having on the Fuel products . Gotta say i haven't touched my air guns since .. BTW i also had a Dewalt in my service truck . After cranking down structure bolts , I could still put a wrench on them and turn them more.. But it was very well used

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Another fan of the Milwaukee Fuel lineup. I have several of their M12 and M18 tools. About the only thing I turn the compressor on for anymore is to air up tires.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I was lucky that I had the batteries and charger from a sawzall I already had. Do the impact investment was low for me.

Lol. I live in Clairemont. Right down the street from Garnett. I usually get my carne and pollo asada from a local store. Good stuff.

No CRAP! I lived on Idlewild in that subdivision just off Cleremont Mesa Blvd. at the top of the hill above San Clemente 52. Take a run up to Mt Solidad and say hey to SD for me.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I had a Craftsman 1/2" my wife bought me for Christmas a few years ago, the battery took a shit, rather than buy another battery for it, I invested it in a Dewalt, couldnt be happier, as said, battery life is amazing!

boll58

Reaction score
I've been using a Dewalt 1/2 and a craftsman 3/8 drive for two years now in my shop, haven't touched an air tool since

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
I have the dewalt DCF899 and it has 1200ft-lb break away torque. If you just hold it in your hand and press the trigger it will turn your wrist. Total beast

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I had a Craftsman 1/2" my wife bought me for Christmas a few years ago, the battery took a shit, rather than buy another battery for it, I invested it in a Dewalt, couldnt be happier, as said, battery life is amazing!

I've been using a Dewalt 1/2 and a craftsman 3/8 drive for two years now in my shop, haven't touched an air tool since

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have the dewalt DCF899 and it has 1200ft-lb break away torque. If you just hold it in your hand and press the trigger it will turn your wrist. Total beast

Figured I would end up having to take it back and get the dewalt setup and spend the $80+ but its doing very well for what I need it for. I was truly surprised. Now only time will tell.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for this thread, now the fucking needle is in my arm and I will be buying one. My wife is gonna stab me in my sleep. I will probably go with Bosch (since I already have two batteries and charger and can buy a bare tool). I have owned/used DeWalt for the last 25 years, but I have migrated to Bosch. I have their jig saw, circular saw, and cordless hammer drill. Bit of a fan now.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I have the bosh 18v drill and was looking at their stuff. I love it, but either way I would have to buy larger AH batteries and there goes the cost.

BTW - If you are willing to order and wait LOWES has teh 899 model with one 20V for $296 in my area. I assume this is nationwide. Dewalt is great stuff as well no doubt as many have chimed in.

I just put the street tires back on this morning. Now if I could only have someone pull and place the tire swap the job would be effortless. LOL! Checked the battery power and it still shows full capacity for what that's worth. We'll see how linear that battery indicator is with a little time. Still complete final torque with a torque wrench.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Menards has a Bosch compact that puts out 185 ft. lbs. (plenty for lug nuts) for $150 after rebate. I can use my current Bosch batteries.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back