Damn Rear End...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"don't have 900billion HP" - YET!

I doubt the HP difference will matter for things we are talking about (Daily Driver impairment) since most of the time you are out of boost anyway - well, I suppose some people are in it more than others...

lol...yeah you're right on that. I wish I knew what it was like to be "in" boost in my car....IMO, I'm always "out" of boost for some strange reason...lol

Hopefully everything goes fine with the locker...I know I'd feel nice a safe knowing my rear end is damn near bullet proof and is a dd.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lak3rs: in what order did you do the Spydershaft & 4.10 gear install...at the same time, or one in, wait a couple weeks, and the other? Also how many miles after those mods did the rear start making the sounds, and eventually fail?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lak3rs: in what order did you do the Spydershaft & 4.10 gear install...at the same time, or one in, wait a couple weeks, and the other? Also how many miles after those mods did the rear start making the sounds, and eventually fail?

I had the FRPP 4.10 gears installed the beginning of Feb. They have always had a nice faint whine to them but I've had the SLP's that really helped cover the noise. Then I took my cats off a while back and damn the whine was gone...LoL. I then had the ds installed sometime in June I don't quite remember when exactly but the whine really wasn't all that noticable due to the exhaust. So I took off my SLP's and put on my stockers and DAMN!!!! the whine is insane from 30-40 cruising in town and from 60-70 on the highway. The following are what I'm thinking lead to my problem.

1. Incorrect gear install
2. Incorrect driveshaft install (but have checked numerous amounts of time and everything is on there and torqued perfect)
3. Incorrect stud install (not sure how the studs could have affected anything though...)
4. Launching at the track (I'm only able to launch at most 1000 RPM before I spin the hell outta the tires)
5. Burnouts at the track (I've actually only done a few burnouts, maybe 5 or so at most as they really don't help hook my stock tires all that well)

Not sure if I'm missing anything but I'm really skeptical about this. First off the gears shouldn't have any whine to them what so ever in the first place. I spoke with Joe about them and he's got two cars with 4.10's in them and one with 4.30's and they are all fine. I've also spoke with multiple shops around the DFW area and all are saying there should be NO WHINE what so ever in the rear end IF THEY WERE INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

I wish Ron (Spyder) could jump in here and shed his opinion on this a bit as I'm pretty sure he might be able to help pin point something for me. Ron...where you at?

There are just sooo many possibilities on why my stuff is doing what it is doing and that just straight up scares the living shit out of me...

- Justin

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can ask the Big Guy upstairs for a little help if you need it.
Thanks - first and foremost - it'd just be great if he could wipe mosquitoes off the face of the earth and replace them with somethinig for the frogs, birds, spiders and the like to eat that doesn't like biting humans...

Had a hugs extended family of these bastards move in when it got dark before could close the garage door last night...

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks - first and foremost - it'd just be great if he could wipe mosquitoes off the face of the earth and replace them with somethinig for the frogs, birds, spiders and the like to eat that doesn't like biting humans...

Had a hugs extended family of these bastards move in when it got dark before could close the garage door last night...
+1 on the dang skeeters

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had the FRPP 4.10 gears installed the beginning of Feb. They have always had a nice faint whine to them but I've had the SLP's that really helped cover the noise. Then I took my cats off a while back and damn the whine was gone...LoL. I then had the ds installed sometime in June I don't quite remember when exactly but the whine really wasn't all that noticable due to the exhaust. So I took off my SLP's and put on my stockers and DAMN!!!! the whine is insane from 30-40 cruising in town and from 60-70 on the highway. The following are what I'm thinking lead to my problem.

1. Incorrect gear install
2. Incorrect driveshaft install (but have checked numerous amounts of time and everything is on there and torqued perfect)
3. Incorrect stud install (not sure how the studs could have affected anything though...)
4. Launching at the track (I'm only able to launch at most 1000 RPM before I spin the hell outta the tires)
5. Burnouts at the track (I've actually only done a few burnouts, maybe 5 or so at most as they really don't help hook my stock tires all that well)

Not sure if I'm missing anything but I'm really skeptical about this. First off the gears shouldn't have any whine to them what so ever in the first place. I spoke with Joe about them and he's got two cars with 4.10's in them and one with 4.30's and they are all fine. I've also spoke with multiple shops around the DFW area and all are saying there should be NO WHINE what so ever in the rear end IF THEY WERE INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

I wish Ron (Spyder) could jump in here and shed his opinion on this a bit as I'm pretty sure he might be able to help pin point something for me. Ron...where you at?

There are just sooo many possibilities on why my stuff is doing what it is doing and that just straight up scares the living shit out of me...

- Justin

I'm sure yu can find more like this, but a quick search yieldid (yielt?...someone set me straight on the proper English word here...) this source, where you can get parts or whole hub-to-hub assemblies.

Rear End - Whole Assemblies

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the whole assemblies...you can choose the gear ratio at the outset, just look at the last 3 digits of the part number.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any of yall have any recommendations on some gear oil and tranny fluid as well as a good place to buy at decent prices? Royal Purple, Redline, etc.? As well as what type?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Taking it in on Wed. Getting everything checked out in the rear end to see the problem. Then from there we'll get the fix'n out of the way. I also ordered my LPW cover from Kevin at PMP today which should be here Friday. I'm hoping that it's something minor and not too bad....but then again all I can do is pray...huh.

Got a quick question...

When I let off the brake very softly while in either reverse or drive I get this awkward sound thats very hard to describe but feels as if it's coming from under my foot, what could it be? My friend has an 04 auto and his does the exact same thing...he said that his has always done that. Also, when I'm in drive and my foot is pushed down on the brake and fully stopped I hear this vibration in the rear. Not sure where from exactly, but what could that be as well? Maybe if I'm lucky I'll hit the Lotto and not have to worry so much about my finances and can get me another S197!

- Justin

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Justin.
This is no knock on Travis or his place at all. Just sayin'... Keep an eye on Carless Chris. He has a BAD habit of ordering half of what you need. And not finding it out until your car is torn apart on the lift.... He's not at HPP anymore for a reason ( or two )... just sayin'.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Also, when I'm in drive and my foot is pushed down on the brake and fully stopped I hear this vibration in the rear. Not sure where from exactly, but what could that be as well?
Mine did that once... turned out to be a muffler rattling around a little. A minor adjustment fixed it.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Justin.
This is no knock on Travis or his place at all. Just sayin'... Keep an eye on Carless Chris. He has a BAD habit of ordering half of what you need. And not finding it out until your car is torn apart on the lift.... He's not at HPP anymore for a reason ( or two )... just sayin'.

LoL! Yeah, he said he was at HPP when I had my gears installed. I'm just gonna give this place a try and see what happens. He said he didn't get along with Ozzy all that well...he also quoted me 400 bucks on gears installed. Includes 4.10's (A version), Motive Install Kit, gear oil, and installation. Not too bad actually. Lets just hope my gears are okay.

Good luck with your car bro! Hope they get that shit sorted out for good...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine did that once... turned out to be a muffler rattling around a little. A minor adjustment fixed it.

Doh!...that would amazing if it's just the muffler!!!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your car bro! Hope they get that shit sorted out for good...

BTW, no worries on Wednesday. The woman said she would run me up there

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I pulled the car out briefly today and kept it in drive while stopped with my foot on the brake. It did that noise again in the rear, very clunky with some rattling...

Don, what part of the muffler was loose and making your noise?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm for sure heading to bed early tonight so I can get up in the morning and get it to the shop!!!!

I'm very nervous.....very....very nervous....

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!!

I got everything checked in the rear end. My pinion angle was a little bit off and they had to screw the UCA all the way in. For some reason my UCA was also kind of lose in there, which was really weird...Also swapped out the fluid in the rear with some thicker 75/140 and it really helped with the whine. My gears, differential, clutch packs, axles, and everything else is fine! I'm soooo freaking happy right now and am ready to start up some more modding!!! I'm glad it didn't set me back a little penny like I thought it would and damn I feel good!

Also, I got a question for yall out there. Should I go for grinding down the calipers a bit or try out some spacers in the rear with my 15x8 Weld Draglite XP's to get them to clear? If I can't I'll have some wheels/tires up for sale if anyone wants em'!

Hmmm I don't know what to do next....got to get my stuff together and get my self something nice. Either go or show, I dunno???

- Justin

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Glad to here the rear is good.

BTW, can you post up some pics of the wheels... both front side and inside. I'm curious about something.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back