Dang Folks, I need a little help here please

oldtexasdog

Reaction score
Please Need a few thoughts folks.
I am 65 and have limited (as most of us do) funds. I am willing to do this in steps.
So, my joy is a 2008 GT with stick shift. I have put in the following:
410 Ford racing gears
CAI intake
SCT Flash with re-programmer
Flowmaster 40’s exhaust-axel back
MGW short throw shifter
White Line Front sway bar
Koni STR front struts and rear shocks
FP front strut mount
SR Performance front sway bar links

Now what would be the best bang for the buck performance upgrade from here?
I currently cannot afford a supercharger :) that is just too much outlay at one time!!
So cam, intake, fuel injectors, what??? Don’t want to go long tube as that would jack with getting it inspected down here in Texas.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No need for fuel injectors unless you go FI which you said no; for cams the NSR cams would be the recommended way to go since they are DIY; are you looking for noise, performance or both? Whose tune are you using?

Phil

forum member
Reaction score
Suspension stuff, make the most of what you have

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
Unless you go with long tube headers, i dont think cams will do much. Same goes for fuel injectors.... but if you end up going with long tube headers and cams, you dont need to spend a lot of money on the injectors. You can use the injectors of the f150 lightning, i believe they are 42lbs and tune the car to e85. You wont need to replace the fuel pump. But thats just if you want to go that way.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of performance improvement are you looking for?

Scrat

forum member
Reaction score
if your looking for more handling my first question would be whats your current wheel and tire setup and are you looking to get lowering springs? If its performance you seek maybe look into a full cat back and an intake manifold then go to fords hot rod cams after that.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a little more performance, I would suggest cams and headers, you won't need to change injectors yet but a good tune would improve performance also.

rjyote

forum member
Reaction score
A good set of rear lower control arms (MM, BMR, etc.) would work nicely with those 4.10 gears.

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
surely the best option is to make the car stop & handle quicker/better so that you can make to most of the 'go' that you have?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
You could do a budget turbo kit, if you're willing and have the means to do the piping fab work. Most of the components are readily available in used condition on the cheap. Piece it together as your budget allows. For the average cost of a used head unit, you could buy cams or intake manifold or long tubes, none of these upgrades will touch FI dollar per hp. Like the others have said, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of your car. If you're okay with a mild bump in power and a shit eating grin, my vote goes towards cams. A pair of FRPP hotrods won't hurt your emissions and requires virtually nothing in supporting mods. Saturday morning job to install, and use a reputable tuner.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I know in your post that you are shy about headers but your car should pass inspection with the Kooks Long Tubes and the High Flow Cats with out an issue. The Detroit Rocker cams will not cause you to fail emissions either. If or when you go Forced Induction later you will already have a great start. I have the naturally aspirated Detroit Rockers and they work great with the Pro-Charger. You can do either of these alone or both at the same time. No larger injectors needed for this. Just a tune update. I would not be surprised if this added 30-40 RWHP for about $2700 if you install yourself. Good luck with your search.

Detroit Rockers
http://www.brenspeed.com/detroit3vna.html

Kooks with Cats
http://www.brenspeed.com/6020ch.html

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Headers and cams would cost a fortune. Slowly build up a DOB blower setup, use a walbro 405 pump and a old GT500 blower. Run 9-10 psi on the stock engine. PM me, I have heat exchangers, pumps that you can have for cheap/free.

Need to get in touch with S&H performance and Department of Boost on here.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It's been two days and the OP hasn't bothered checking in since posting this thread. Suggestions run the gamut as expected with such limited info. We all have our own ideas but without a little more input from the OP I'm going to hold off.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back