Dealership attitude toward mods?

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Specifically, suspension mods. I'm thinking of trading in my '13 for a '15 and was wondering if any of you can tell me your experience with what dealers think about these mods and if they look at it as a negative when negotiating. My mods are listed below. What say you all?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
You won't get top dollar for your car. From my point of view I would still be interested but not as interested as a stock '13 GT/CS that I could put through my certified pre-owned inventory depending if it is clean, no accidents and has mint mileage (not over 25K). Disclaimer: this is my opinion and some dealers may not care.

Simply put, return the car back to stock if you can... those are some pretty easy mods to take off.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
When I traded in my '06, all they were concerned about is if I had boost on the car previously. They gave me a killer price for the trade. Granted, the salesman and the dealership owner are both Mustang guys and are on my local forum.

Return it to stock if you can, but I don't think it will hurt your trade in value. Your mods just won't help it.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
The local dealer doesn't care too much about the suspension mods as long as it isn't one of the $3000+ coil over setups. They are able to sell one with just suspension mods a lot easier than one with an aftermarket FI system. They definitely lose interest if it is power mods.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.
I'm not looking to increasing it's value because of the mods, I am interested whether they take away from the value. My car is as mint as you can get with only 1900 miles on it. Most of the mods were done before it had 500 miles on it. My only reason for the suspension change was to replace inferior parts as those parts replaced were astonishingly inappropriate, stamped out crap. I'm amazed that they can get away with this. I will keep the good parts on because of this.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Trading already!! That's going to be an expensive 1900 miles!! Not to mention the $ spent on the suspension upgrades.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I worked my own deal on my 2012 at my store except appraising my own car. My Used Car Manager gave me $500 more for trade value to demod my car lol......

Dealers prefer stock cars, much easier to sell. That, and you can make money on the parts anyways, makes better financial sense to demod 9/10x.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
My dealer didnt really care when i traded my 13 GT for my 15. I had shocks/struts/springs/phb at the time.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
When I traded my 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP for my Mustang, they loved my slotted rotors and painted brake calipers as they said it looks like a factory brake upgrade but did not increase its value. It also had a 2008 G6 GXP hood on it. Factory 08 hood..... they wouldn't except the car unless I gave them also my 06 factory hood. They didn't care if they had to put it on but wanted nothing to do with it without the hood. Made no sense to me, but that's what they wanted.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
It would be to much of a pain in the ass for me to demodd i would have to pull the blower and get a retune. Fuckers better take my car

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Yea for when the car had the stock shortblock. I have a 302 stroker shortblock now.

Okay, pull the blower and let Manuel put at tune on it for a couple hundred bucks, maybe less if stock cams. All you are out is 4 hrs of labor and a couple datalogs to Manuel. Then you can give me the blower setup for 1k to cover your time and we are all happy!

And I promise it will be well taken care of and not resold.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, pull the blower and let Manuel put at tune on it for a couple hundred bucks, maybe less if stock cams. All you are out is 4 hrs of labor and a couple datalogs to Manuel. Then you can give me the blower setup for 1k to cover your time and we are all happy!

And I promise it will be well taken care of and not resold.

Lol you might wanna get the pos headunit resealed it leaks oil lol.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
You won't get top dollar for your car. From my point of view I would still be interested but not as interested as a stock '13 GT/CS that I could put through my certified pre-owned inventory depending if it is clean, no accidents and has mint mileage (not over 25K). Disclaimer: this is my opinion and some dealers may not care.

Simply put, return the car back to stock if you can... those are some pretty easy mods to take off.

+1

Wouldn't be able to Certify it at our dealer, therefore you won't get as much for the Trade Value.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score

OK, since I seem to have a dealers ear on this. What is it about my mods that would lower it's value. Seems to me, the improvement over inferior parts would, at least, maintain a high value. I also have those same inferior parts and would include them in the trade, if that makes a difference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back