Defining Modern Muscle: Power vs Sound. What life you about!?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As big as a Lund Racing fan as I am it hurt to see them blow up an Ecoboost at the strip. The power is impressive, but that little engine can only take so much for so long. They ran it one time too many I guess. I don't like anything 4 or 6 cylinder. Just sounds like ass to me. Yeah, you can build a fast Civic or a Subaru WRX that can blow the doors off a lot of cars. So what? But to build that little engine right, it takes a ton of money and just won't last very long. And at the end of the day, fast or not...it's a Civic or a Subaru dude. I wouldn't be caught dead driving one of those things whether it had 1500HP or not. It's big gutsy, ballzy V8 American muscle for me. Just the generation I grew up in I suppose.

If you knew the entire story....Lund was trying to crack the 10's on stock engine/stock turbo and they were stuck at 11.00; it was a calculated decision by both Jr and Sr to try and get the 10.99 hero run so they turned it up and blew it up in the burnout box; they had a built engine already on stand by.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd still rather have the 5.0 in the F150, or if you can afford the gas, find a 6.2 F150, although they were only offered in the Raptor and the Limited/Harley Davidson models, I think

The 6.2 is badass, but it is hard to get. As you stated, it was only available in the Raptor, HD, and some of the very top of the line models for the F150. In the F250 it's been the base engine since 2011.

I've also heard the 6.2 really sucks the gas, but it's head and shoulders above the old 5.4 2V. My FIL has 2008 5.4 and 2013 F250 6.2 trucks for his shop, the 2008 is a gutless turd but the 2013 is actually driveable.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority here based on previous posts but I love Harleys. I just hate the dbags that make them look bad (idiots that put on unmuffled drag pipes and rev constantly when they're stopped, etc). I'm a sucker for a nice cruiser, I used to have a Vstar 1100 and I really want a Street Bob one of these days.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I have an 11 second 4 cyl. turbo NHRA Stocker Thunderbird so I am a bit curious about the 2.3 Ecoboost.
Stock head, throttle body , intake and little T3 Garrett turbo and it only makes around 320 fwhp.

My "Pinto" 2.3 sound like a tractor motor compared to the new 2.3 4 bangers.

The 2018 2.3 EB Mustang has me curious.
With the 10 spd automatic as the only option it stickers @ 28K.

I might have to test drive one of those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHB8fwRv5dU

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
That T bird sounds good, hahaha, nothing like most fart can (fast and furious) cars roaming the streets.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
I am not down with the louder is better crew, I love a good tone. Which is why I have 4 mufflers on my car. Loud is just noise, it's hard to make a mustang sound shitty but some people get close with the loudness but it doesn't compare to the crap level of a loud 4 cylinder.

WARNING, CRINGE VIDEO! (skip to 0:52 if you're want that cringe RIGHT NOW)

So my Husqvarna chain saw with a header would sound that good or better ?

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I am not down with the louder is better crew, I love a good tone. Which is why I have 4 mufflers on my car. Loud is just noise, it's hard to make a mustang sound shitty but some people get close with the loudness but it doesn't compare to the crap level of a loud 4 cylinder.

That just doesn't sound right coming from a Mustang, a civic.......yep. Wow, (note to self) if I ever own an Eco-boost Mustang, Keep it quiet!

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
The only engine that sounds shittier than a Subaru is a Harley.

I like both. In fact I like many different engines exhaust sounds for a variety of reasons. But I hate the buzzy sound of a Honda or the sound of the Ecoboost.

But above all else an engine's sound should be 100% a result of it's performance. Kind of a form follows function thing.

My neighbor has a WRX STi, about a 2014 or so model, and it sounds awesome. I have no idea what kind of exhaust set up he has (and I'd bet he doesn't either!), and he's not the most fun guy to talk to, so I have never approached him about it. All I know is that it sounds good. Not a "fart can" at all.

He has asked me on more than one occasion "when we gonna run' em?" :lol:

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
The pre-'17 EcoBoost F150's are dealing with lots of carbon build-up issues on the valves.
The change to the direct- and port-injection for '17+ is there to fix that.
We'll see how successful it is.

Doesn't direct injection make carbon build up issues worse?

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score

Wow ^^

Suddenly I don't think my tractor sounding Pinto 4 banger doesn't sound so bad....lol

No mufflers on the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLKFqIQA1I

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doesn't direct injection make carbon build up issues worse?

The 3.5EB was always DI. The port injection was added to help the carbon build up and I was once told that DI is more "dirty" at startup than port injection. So I am sure there is more than one reason to go with the dual injection setup. It also opens the door for huge boost because you now have a way to deliver A LOT of fuel.

25 years ago a factory turbo engine with 8-12 psi was kinda high. Today the 2.3EB makes, I think, 18psi pretty regularly. In another 10-15 years we may see small engines with 40psi. Hell we may see very small engines acting as hybrid electrical generators that can ramp up power to directly drive propulsion systems on demand in hybrids drive systems.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only 2.3EB that sounds remotely ok to me is this one.

travelers

Reaction score
If I had to have a EB I would keep the stock mufflers on it... No matter what you do you can't make a 4 or 6 sound like a healthy V8.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 3.5EB was always DI. The port injection was added to help the carbon build up and I was once told that DI is more "dirty" at startup than port injection. So I am sure there is more than one reason to go with the dual injection setup. It also opens the door for huge boost because you now have a way to deliver A LOT of fuel.

25 years ago a factory turbo engine with 8-12 psi was kinda high. Today the 2.3EB makes, I think, 18psi pretty regularly. In another 10-15 years we may see small engines with 40psi. Hell we may see very small engines acting as hybrid electrical generators that can ramp up power to directly drive propulsion systems on demand in hybrids drive systems.

The 2.0 in my Fusion maxes out at 20 psi on the stock tune.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
If I had to have a EB I would keep the stock mufflers on it... No matter what you do you can't make a 4 or 6 sound like a healthy V8.
I agree, and also don't care for how a V10 viper or pick-up sounds with loud exhaust. Some of the high end, European V10's, and V12's sound decent though. Veyron's, and Chiron's sound good me too, but that might be just because of the power I'm aware of them making!

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score

If I had to have an EB Mustang I would park it in a remote lot and burn it to the ground. The sound of flames crackling and back seats popping in the extreme heat would sound 10 times better than any exhaust for it.

Back