Degree Stock Cams Locked Out ICL method

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
Ok I have searched and seen lots of guys talking about what they degreed their aftermarket cams to with lockouts but no one has talked about where to set the ICL on stock cams when using lockouts.
I am putting a 3V in my 2001 F150 and thus have to use lockouts because it will be running on the stock 2V ECM.
My issue is that I want to degree the cams in(I have trick flow crank gears) instead of just setting them all at zero and going on whatever that leaves me with.
I put them on +2 degree crank gear with lockouts in full advance and come up with a 107-108 ICL

Anyway be know that would be a optimum or even the stock centerline is?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
A good majority of 3v cams, especially including the stock cams, have advance in the grind. If you were to lock the stock cams at 0 you'd be fine for a truck. You won't get the fuel efficiency benefits but you'll make plenty of torque and lower powerband. The majority of acceleration loads up to WOT, VCT throws the cams to 0 anyway.

Unless you're wanting to run your truck passed 5,500rpm regularly, the extra couple degrees of retard won't be worth the powerband gain up top. IMHO.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm coming up with 109 for an icl using the values from here: http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6550-3V.pdf

Max retard at wot in the stock tune is 9 degrees. Most aftermarket cams have an icl of around 102 and do their best airflow with some retard, like 6-10 degrees. I think the icl becomes more important with the shorter duration of the stock cams. Lsa for stock cams is 114.75.

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
I'm coming up with 109 for an icl using the values from here: http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6550-3V.pdf

Max retard at wot in the stock tune is 9 degrees. Most aftermarket cams have an icl of around 102 and do their best airflow with some retard, like 6-10 degrees. I think the icl becomes more important with the shorter duration of the stock cams. Lsa for stock cams is 114.75.

Thanks Bruce with my 107.5 ICL measures on a +2 deg lower gear that would put me 109.5 ICL at 0 on lower gear.
I wonder if being its a truck(but running mustang intake) if it would benefit for the 107.5 ICL instead of the 109.5 ICL
I just don't trust cams to be ground exactly on spec even factory cams. Looks like they are very close though!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce with my 107.5 ICL measures on a +2 deg lower gear that would put me 109.5 ICL at 0 on lower gear.
I wonder if being its a truck(but running mustang intake) if it would benefit for the 107.5 ICL instead of the 109.5 ICL
I just don't trust cams to be ground exactly on spec even factory cams. Looks like they are very close though!

You might be able to find a set of nsr cams for a good price. A set of 127100 or 200 would work pretty well.

Not sure what I'd do in your position. The previous post about low rpm is correct and the stock icl is kinda high for a 3v.

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
Yea I thought the 107.5 ICL I measured with +2 deg advance on crank was pretty decent but didn't know what it was supposed to be at stock.
I guess it should if anything add tq down low with the advance over stock.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Anyway be know that would be a optimum or even the stock centerline is?

The stock cams have an ICA of 109* up to 3750rpm and then the VCT gradually retards the cams to a maximum of 9 degrees (118* ICA) by 5750rpm. It's a clever idea by Ford as this not only gives the 3v good low rpm torque but also extends the power band at higher rpm, rectifying the 5000+rpm breathlessness of the 2v engine.
The ECA is 120.5* thus making the LSA 114.75*.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for the comp 127200 nsr cams in my '06. ran them in my car for over 60k miles and never a problem. As far as power gaines i have no idea, I had added headers, CMCV deletes between dyno pulls. last dyno pull I was making 330 at the wheels.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning the purpose of moving away from a stock cam is to rev the engine higher. If reving the motor isnt what this is about, then keep the stockers and lock them down. They will still pull up top, you just may miss out on 10-15hp in peak gains.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Its a crew cab truck that pulls a trailer daily. Torque is my main concern. It won't see over 5500 rpm ever.

I wouldn't even degree them. Set the timing like normal and lock 'em at 0. You'll be in the cams best torque angle all day. I assume you'll be getting the truck tuned since it's a 2v < 3v swap? I did a 3v swap with a buddy of mine, he has a 2001 Mustang GT. It didn't turn out the way we had anticipated it so he ended up swapping back to a 2v and going FI. But from what I saw of his dyno results, the 3v makes for an excellent 4.6 truck upgrade option. I look forward to seeing your results and opinion of it!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back