did this thing blow?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
There seems to still be some confusion as to the intercooled/non-intercooled thing...

It's as simple as this... If you shut the pump off on an intercooled roots/twin screw, you WILL damage your motor in a short amount of time. That is a fact. The intercooler buried in the center of the motor will soak up all the heat from the supercharger, the engine and it will hold it in and increase your charge temps to well over 200 degrees at part throttle and WOT (on a tune setup for 85 degree intake temps, and 120 degree charge temps).

On a kit without an intercooler the air coming right out of the supercharger goes right into the cylinder heads without being additionally heated by the dormant intercooler.

There is a difference. You can't just disconnect your intercooler pump and say it's just like a non-intercooled kit.

Not taking sides here, just stating facts.

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If that is what was done, not taking sides either, that did it. But the pictures will show what happened.

WarFords

forum member
Reaction score
There seems to still be some confusion as to the intercooled/non-intercooled thing...

It's as simple as this... If you shut the pump off on an intercooled roots/twin screw, you WILL damage your motor in a short amount of time. That is a fact. The intercooler buried in the center of the motor will soak up all the heat from the supercharger, the engine and it will hold it in and increase your charge temps to well over 200 degrees at part throttle and WOT (on a tune setup for 85 degree intake temps, and 120 degree charge temps).

On a kit without an intercooler the air coming right out of the supercharger goes right into the cylinder heads without being additionally heated by the dormant intercooler.
There is a difference. You can't just disconnect your intercooler pump and say it's just like a non-intercooled kit.

Not taking sides here, just stating facts.
I think we should test this theory! And data log the temps at part throttle and so on. I know a guy that has one I will see if he is down to do it. And I will adjust his tune so that it will pull timing for the inlet temps. Just so we don't blow it up! :) I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just want to see how hot it really gets.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I think we should test this theory! And data log the temps at part throttle and so on. I know a guy that has one I will see if he is down to do it. And I will adjust his tune so that it will pull timing for the inlet temps. Just so we don't blow it up! :) I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just want to see how hot it really gets.

I had it happen on my '03 Cobra. After an hour or so of regular driving, I couldn't go more than 1/4 throttle or it would ping like crazy (forged bottom end ftw). It split my intercooler reservoir right down the side from the pressure.

But if you can datalog some temps with the intercooler pump turned off, that would be killer to know how hot it gets. That should help answer some questions about what happened here.

Last edited:

BubbaRATM

bottle fed baby
Reaction score
i don't think it would get hot enough to damage the engine under part throttle even at 4psi but under full throttle it would most definatly.

edgarrian

Reaction score
if that is infact the reason are u going to write an apology since you felt the need to vomit all over this forum

frarmar

Killer boots man!
Reaction score
Earlier in the thread he said that there was coolant in the intercooler system when he was driving it, but he drained it when he started working on it. That's why there wasn't coolant in it when it got to Brenspeed... Brenspeed said the intercooler and vacuum lines were routed improperly though...

All I can says is, best of luck getting her back on the road....

Last edited:

onequicktang

forum member
Reaction score
the hoses on the pump were switched. As long as the resiviour was completely full which it was it will still pump coolant through the system is what I was told by whipple. It wouldn't be 100% right but it would work well enough to keep the iats at a safe level.

Bob_Kurgan

forum member
Reaction score
can someone explain to me what a "defective" piston ring looks like?? 20yrs in the business and ive never seen one

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Ok, well after reading Brenspeeds post, this is simply a major whipple install fail. Essentially completely fucked the most critical parts of it, the bypass and the intercooler.

onequicktang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, well after reading Brenspeeds post, this is simply a major whipple install fail. Essentially completely fucked the most critical parts of it, the bypass and the intercooler.

after reading all of mmr's post they have the best products for mustangs on this planet. Be leave what you want.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back