DIY 3V S197 tuning

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
What is the easiest/most affordable way to get into tuning my own car? I'm just going to assume the SCT software because I am not aware of alternative options.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SCT Pro Advantage and HP Tuners both sell "consumer" set ups

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Im currently out of state taking an advanced tuning and engine management course for natural gas engines, its alot of fun.

Our engines use load based management. Ive posted a good article below. However note someone like lito has been compiling 3v data for years and with a tune only costing 300 dollars i feel tuning is best left in his hands

http://tunertools.com/articles/Load-Control-101.asp

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience, but I've heard good things about HP. I've been using SCT for years, but I think if I ever tuned an S197 I'd go HP.

It's cool having a tuner you trust. But once you start tuning yourself you never go back. You learn a lot about your car. And it nice to be able to make a change and tweak the tune right away.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I would love to learn how to tune just for the knowledge aspect, but I don't think I have the patience to actually do it. I've watched my tuner tune my car several times through its life with build changes from NA, spray, to boosted. Tweak the tune, swap cables, upload to handheld, upload to car, swap cables, test it on the dyno. You know what I do while he's doing all that shit? I sleep in the passenger seat LOL. When the car starts, I pay attention. After the dyno run, are we there yet? Nope. ZzzzZzzz.

Maybe that's why my tuner won't return my calls lately...

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
I am a pretty smart dude and I'm sure I could get some very good numbers myself. I completely understand that guys that have been doing it a long time are going to be rad at it. And I am 90% sure that I will be starting with a Lito tune regardless.

BUT

I plan to stick with 3V s197 for the foreseeable future and I would like to eventually get comfortable in high horsepower applications.

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
If your staying 3V , go SCT then but if you think you will trade up to the Coyote - HP Tuner is the better choice I think. I have the SCT Pro Racer package. HP Tuners your going to spend more to get logging upfront but will get vehicle credits to tune more vehicles with. SCT Pro Racer will be locked to your car and there are certain things - Drive By Wire , VCT settings , etc that you will not have access to unless you take a class and get an unlock or have another tuner modify it and send you the file back.

Just my opinion as I haven't used HP Tuners but have used SCT.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, no doubt you'll make it work dude! You may want to consider running an aftermarket engine management system. Cost of software vs a new system might warrant it. Oem systems are somewhat convoluted and needing to re flash the EEPROM everytime you make an adjustment is hella time consuming. Aftermarket systems are less counterintuitive and adjust can be made on the fly. You almost have to result to bracketing adjustments tuning a stock personality module its a pain.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I am a pretty smart dude and I'm sure I could get some very good numbers myself. I completely understand that guys that have been doing it a long time are going to be rad at it. And I am 90% sure that I will be starting with a Lito tune regardless.

BUT

I plan to stick with 3V s197 for the foreseeable future and I would like to eventually get comfortable in high horsepower applications.

I've been tuning since 2007. Mostly my car, but I've tuned a few friends' cars as well. I know there are awesome tuners out there, but let's be honest they'll never love your car as much as you do. Don't get me wrong, some care a lot, but it's not the same level. I've switched my set up enough times that buying the software put me way ahead money wise. Plus it's fun to see peoples faces when I tell them I tuned it myself.

Oh, no doubt you'll make it work dude! You may want to consider running an aftermarket engine management system. Cost of software vs a new system might warrant it. Oem systems are somewhat convoluted and needing to re flash the EEPROM everytime you make an adjustment is hella time consuming. Aftermarket systems are less counterintuitive and adjust can be made on the fly. You almost have to result to bracketing adjustments tuning a stock personality module its a pain.

Unless he's looking for ridiculous power there's no reason to switch over to a stand alone and associated headaches. Last I saw the SCT software was $350. Then another $350 for a tuner. Cheaper if you go used. Guys I know with stand alone are over $2000. Plus having to get new gauges and getting all the systems to play nice.

It all depends on the end goal.

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
I've been tuning since 2007. Mostly my car, but I've tuned a few friends' cars as well. I know there are awesome tuners out there, but let's be honest they'll never love your car as much as you do. Don't get me wrong, some care a lot, but it's not the same level. I've switched my set up enough times that buying the software put me way ahead money wise. Plus it's fun to see peoples faces when I tell them I tuned it myself.

Unless he's looking for ridiculous power there's no reason to switch over to a stand alone and associated headaches. Last I saw the SCT software was $350. Then another $350 for a tuner. Cheaper if you go used. Guys I know with stand alone are over $2000. Plus having to get new gauges and getting all the systems to play nice.

It all depends on the end goal.

I've looked into standalone and it is extremely cost prohibitive. That's race car stuff for sure and I'm just trying to bracket race (1/8, 8.0, NA) and maybe get into some small tire stuff when I grow up (when does that happen?). Mostly, like y'all are saying, I just want to be DIY and independent. I'm really liking SCT because I can take all their classes and have their support. Maybe it'll turn into a Texas mile car someday. Once the tuning is in the bag I can start building a forced induction motor and that's the part I really enjoy. I'm surprised that Mustang tuning is taken so seriously. I remember back in high school spending hours on a Hondata just experimenting with street pulls and a GPS. It's funny because that's my "Back in my day" lol..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back