Does a clay bar REALLY remove everything they say it does?

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, I thought I was the only person with these.

Nope we get it a lot out here too. Never see it with my car but my buddy who had a white Focus ST used to bitch about it all the time. I guess it's caused (out here at least) by raildust and stuff along those lines.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
You don't drive it anyways so........

pot-calling-the-kettle-black.jpg

I actually drove mine today though. .35 miles. I even got it up to like 42 miles an hour on the road. :nk:

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Club "I don't know what to do with my 70k"

70K? :dunce:

Haha. I'd wager I'm nowhere near Darren's league...my car has 23K miles or so on it. I don't daily my car and it snowed here a week or so ago, so there has been salt and beat juice all over the roads. During the other three seasons, unless it's raining, my car gets out quite a bit. :thumb2:

Side note...what if Darren really drives the crap out of his car and just wants us to think he NEVER drives it. He might have 50K miles on his clock for all we know. It's all a ruse.

28ONE

Reaction score
Yeah...since I bought my current regiment everyone seems to have moved away from it. I bought it all based on Seer's advice, and he never did anyone wrong. Right? :crazy:

BL was great at the the time, I've found much better products since then. As for Seer, I appreciate the things he taught when it comes to detailing...

When you can, give Sonax Polymer Netshield a try, amazing stuff! Or my personal favorite Polish Angel Glasscoat Cosmic :thumb2:

claudermilk

Reaction score
Side note...what if Darren really drives the crap out of his car and just wants us to think he NEVER drives it. He might have 50K miles on his clock for all we know. It's all a ruse.
Nah, look in the pics he's posted around here of his undercarriage. That car never sees the road.

BL was great at the the time, I've found much better products since then. As for Seer, I appreciate the things he taught when it comes to detailing...

When you can, give Sonax Polymer Netshield a try, amazing stuff! Or my personal favorite Polish Angel Glasscoat Cosmic :thumb2:
These are what you found to replace BL? I love how it looks, but am trying to find products that are the opposite of a dust magnet--the lot at work sucks for dust & the car is filthy by Friday.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score

Can I apply Sonax over the Blacklight/Pete's that I just did yesterday, or does it have to wait until the next time I clay and polish?

When I get the OK from the wife I was going to do a ceramic coating. The local guy does Americoat and Opticoat. Is the Polish Angel something similar? Their website makes it look like it doesn't have to be applied by a professional? If Polish Angel will give me anywhere near the results of a ceramic coating, and cost $120 (for the PO and primer) and an afternoon's work vs. $5-600...sign me up.

Last edited:

28ONE

Reaction score
These are what you found to replace BL? I love how it looks, but am trying to find products that are the opposite of a dust magnet--the lot at work sucks for dust & the car is filthy by Friday.

Pretty much, there's a long list of better products but that's my experience and opinion. Can't do much for a lot with dust - same goes for pollen - especially on black. Ime however, coatings (Pinnacle Black Label, Cquartz UK, Polish Angel Cosmic) help significantly to deter dust with Cosmic being the latest on my paint...

Can I apply Sonax over the Blacklight/Pete's that I just did yesterday, or does it have to wait until the next time I clay and polish?

When I get the OK from the wife I was going to do a ceramic coating. The local guy does Americoat and Opticoat. Is the Polish Angel something similar? Their website makes it look like it doesn't have to be applied by a professional? If Polish Angel will give me anywhere near the results of a ceramic coating, and cost $120 (for the PO and primer) and an afternoon's work vs. $5-600...sign me up.

Sonax needs clean surface free of LSPs (sealants and waxes) to bond properly. You'll be wasting it trying to apply over the top of BL & Pete's

The biggest reason I wanted to learn how to detail was why pay them all that money when I can do it myself. Polish Angel is stupid easy to apply. If you've polished out your paint already its a piece of cake. I do want to note, when it comes to coatings, prep work and proper decontamination is essential. It's a little more than an afternoon job, typically should take 8 hrs:

Wash
IronX Decon
Nanoskin or Clay
Apply Invincible Primer (its actually a last step polish)
Wait 30 minute wipe off -super easy
Apply Cosmic - 1st coat
Wait 30 minutes then wipe off
~must wait 2 hours between coats
Apply Cosmic - 2nd coat
Wait 30 minutes then wipe off

If you have look at Darren's PA thread, pictures speak for themselves but it's even better in person...

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Ha...you beat me to it. I just came in here to say I'd spent the last 10 minutes reading Darren's thread and all my questions were answered. Screw my previous plans of a ceramic coating. I'm going to pick this stuff up and do it before summer.

28ONE

Reaction score
Ha...you beat me to it. I just came in here to say I'd spent the last 10 minutes reading Darren's thread and all my questions were answered. Screw my previous plans of a ceramic coating. I'm going to pick this stuff up and do it before summer.

Dont get me wrong, Cquartz UK is a great coating, I found PA so much more user friendly...

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, Cquartz UK is a great coating, I found PA so much more user friendly...

I'm sure it's awesome...and the pro could correct my paint to perfection whereas I'm not quite that good yet...but the price difference alone is enough to get me on board. The local guy is having a sale for the next week or two for nearly half off, he says $600 for paint correction and coating. That makes PO seem almost cheap.

28ONE

Reaction score
I'm sure it's awesome...and the pro could correct my paint to perfection whereas I'm not quite that good yet...but the price difference alone is enough to get me on board. The local guy is having a sale for the next week or two for nearly half off, he says $600 for paint correction and coating. That makes PO seem almost cheap.

yeah paint correction isn't cheap when a detailer does it

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I just posted on the what did you buy thread, but this snared some of my questions. Does autoality carry the polish angel stuff?

2011/5.0

Reaction score
as a newb at paint correction and a flex 3401 am I looking at 4-6 passes per section with a 5" lc white pad with light pressure for light paint swirls and blackpad and 2 passes per section for the cosmic?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back