Does anyone know of any common Key off-Engine off power drains on '05-09 Mustangs?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For the last couple years I have had something draining my battery when the car is parked for more than a week or so, and I mean it will draw it dead. I know I probably need to test some circuits but does anyone know of anything that commonly does this?

Laga

Reaction score
Do you have any LED lights? The map lights in the overhead console had a substantial drain on mine.
FYI, finding a parasitic draw on these cars takes a specific procedure.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
it may be avariety of things. shaker 500 systems not shutting down, sheap afeter market led lights causing an imbalance on their circuit, sjb going bad, alternator reg circuit issues, or just a poor cell on a battery can make it appear that there are issues. sorry but no simple "power down pat" quick fix.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I do have several aftermarket LED's in my car....map lights, rear markers, plate light and trunk light. Damn

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
start by pulling the leds first. if you see a drop back down to below 75ma or less you found your prob. follow the procedure laga posted to the letter. then replace with standard bulbs. a few on here claim they have leds with no issues. find out what specific brand they have and how long they have been in and if they drive their car daily or just casually. the issue is more prone on a car that sits for 7 to 10 days at a time as well as the age of the battery.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
I have a 2006 GT that kept draining battery if it sat for a week or so like you have said, put charger on it and a week later it was dead again. My radio will only get over the air as it won't change disks or eject them. Got ticked off pulled fuse and haven't had a problem since. Now I don't know where the fuse fits in because I was going to reinsert and bang on radio to maybe shock it loose and work right again.

The Magic Ratchet

Reaction score
I had the problem with the Shaker 500 system. If you did not shut the radio off before turning off the key, it would kill the battery. I learned it was some sort of firmware problem with the radio. As far as I know, Ford never offered a fix for this. Once I pulled the radio and replaced with aftermarket the problem never recurred.

Lou Manglass

Bderrick

Reaction score
For the last couple years I have had something draining my battery when the car is parked for more than a week or so, and I mean it will draw it dead. I know I probably need to test some circuits but does anyone know of anything that commonly does this?

Bderrick

Reaction score
I had the problem with my o7 gt shaker 1000. Pulled every fuse to the stereo and amps and no more drain. Have not fixed, car is loud enough that stereo volume required making me deaf, so have left disconnected

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wondered if it might be the radio, I will have to try pulling that fuse and see if it makes a difference.

DieHarder

Reaction score
I have a 2006 GT that kept draining battery if it sat for a week or so like you have said, put charger on it and a week later it was dead again. My radio will only get over the air as it won't change disks or eject them. Got ticked off pulled fuse and haven't had a problem since. Now I don't know where the fuse fits in because I was going to reinsert and bang on radio to maybe shock it loose and work right again.

I had the same thing. You can take the radio out/get it apart and get the disks out but it takes a bit of work. Once I got the disks out the radio returned to normal operation including disks loading/ejecting.

Reaction score
+1 to a go damn shaker units, mine was trying to eject the cd 24/7 when there was no cd to begin with when the car is off, but i would assume you would hear that

DieHarder

Reaction score
+1 to a go damn shaker units, mine was trying to eject the cd 24/7 when there was no cd to begin with when the car is off, but i would assume you would hear that

Actually, I get that for about a minute when I reconnect the battery. It cycles for a while then quits and works normally.

brasil

Reaction score
noticed that my 2008 might have the same problem. 2-4 days.. and the battery goes south. Have to tell you , that I am not quite sure if my car has a shaker system... when I bought it the was a Radio ( Sirius ) CD Navigation combo OEM FORD installed. I changed the Radio Unit , because we have different Station Frequencys here in Europe /Germany and now I have a Kenwood Stereo CD Unit installed.

When I made the installation , I connected the YELLOW and the RED wire... ( Ign /Battery ) The idea behind was, that I can listen to the radio while the key is off. So I need to turn the radio off when I leave the car.

But now I am reading about turning the radio/stereo off BEFORE turning off the ignition.
The "old " OEM system turned off automaticly when I took the key out....

could it be, that the connection I made will cause the battery drain ????

brasil

Reaction score
Found the gremlin... ( i hope ) Looks like the Head Unit is the thief... The Head Unit needs to be connected different . Yellow Wire goes to the battery .. and the RED wire needs a switched 12 V source. I connected the RED wire with the cigar lighter . Result the Head Unit
never went to sleep - even when switched off.
So next week I will buy me such a. ADD A CIRUIT with 10 A Mirco Fuse. So I can go to FUSE No 5 on the SJB ... there I "found " switched 12 V.

Hope that it will work....

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I thought I had a similiar problem with draw. Noticed the amount of time shrinking if I was not using the car.

Turned out, I was not driving the car enough when I was driving it to fully recharge the battery. And the battery gets lower and lower in charge. I now keep a battery tender on mine if it sits more than a week.

Or, your battery is going out.

brasil

Reaction score
bought a new battery.... 12 V 72 Ah with 700 CCA a real huge item. Also installed the ADD A Circuit MINI Fuse. ( the micro fuse part didn´t work ) So the next days I will observe the numbers and I hope that this section can be closed.

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. The Shaker 1000 head unit was the 100% culprit. I replaced with an aftermarket unit, and the parasitic drain went away.
I should've never waited so long...too many jump starts, dead batteries in the AM...
Now, I got a nice touchscreen, and it sounds better (to me anyways, I'm not an audiophile).
Hopefully your wiring change will have the same outcome.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back