Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Black3vGT

Reaction score
I used 3M M90 spray adhesive, they're holding fine still but i'm convinced it'll hold. Recommend an actual fabric spray.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw this on the Chive the other day, and thought of this thread...

getinnovativethisweekend1.jpg

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Well tired of it not going right so I did the Op's method again a few nights ago on my pass side. Did a few things differently. I waited 20 minutes before coats. Did not use a foam brush. Instead used a roller. Took the door panel off the car. Kept it in my shop at 68 degrees . Went out today to put it back on the car. Did a little pull test on the fabric before putting it on the car. Seems to be very solid

voodoo

forum member
Reaction score
Did the same. Driver side about to crap out again. Still on the hunt for a set of the non-insert panels.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with the sagging door leather insert :mad2: My driver side looks like it has a small tumor. This sucks...Judging by the hit or miss of this diy fix, I think Im going to just hit up an uploster.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It worked great for me. Just make sure you strip all of that little crusty shit and it'll stick great!! Dealership was impressed with how spotless the interior was haha, he even mentioned those shitty panels always fall

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fuck Ford.

2013-01-10_17-12-41_155.jpg

I think all the humidity from the rain the last two days finally broke down the adhesive. I took the panel off and am going to try the OP method tonight. And a wire brush took that white crap right off.

2013-01-10_17-45-31_905.jpg

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shit didn't work. Removed the backing and put one thick layer of contact cement down. Waited 20 minutes and put another good layer down. 20 minutes later I reattached the leather using a towel from the middle out. Let is sit overnight in my house. The leather is mostly bubbled and will probably fall off again within the next month. :wtf1:

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
i did this about 2 weeks ago using the 3m spray adhesive that i use to put carpet on speaker boxes and so far it still looks great. i didnt scrape the foam off though. i used the air compressor and lightly blew off any loose foam particles leaving 95% of the foam still on the panel. im gonna add yellow piping today then i'll post up some pics.

20130112_113305.jpg

Last edited:

slowlyrolling

Shifting
Reaction score
i did this about 2 weeks ago using the 3m spray adhesive that i use to put carpet on speaker boxes and so far it still looks great. i didnt scrape the foam off though. i used the air compressor and lightly blew off any loose foam particles leaving 95% of the foam still on the panel. im gonna add yellow piping today then i'll post up some pics.

Link me to where you got the piping plz.

Fixed my drivers side today. Just used a shit load of air plane grade sticky shit my dad got me no homo. Looks good except for the edges but ill get the piping to cover that.

Lee Yoder

Reaction score
Shit didn't work. Removed the backing and put one thick layer of contact cement down. Waited 20 minutes and put another good layer down. 20 minutes later I reattached the leather using a towel from the middle out. Let is sit overnight in my house. The leather is mostly bubbled and will probably fall off again within the next month. :wtf1:
You did not say whether you applied adhesive to both the panel and the leather. Most contact cements require a coat on both surfaces to be bonded. When I did my drivers side, I applied two coats of adhesive to both the panel and the leather, then used my wifes pastry roller to roll it from the bottom up, worked like a champ, no issues. Hope this helps.

Later,

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You did not say whether you applied adhesive to both the panel and the leather. Most contact cements require a coat on both surfaces to be bonded. When I did my drivers side, I applied two coats of adhesive to both the panel and the leather, then used my wifes pastry roller to roll it from the bottom up, worked like a champ, no issues. Hope this helps.

Later,

Yes. Two layers to both surfaces. It's holding for now but it still has bubbles. And I took the door panel off to apply it and let it dry in my house overnight.

Sent using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back