Double key post-assembly?

ytix

forum member
Reaction score
Can a crank snout be double keyed after assembly in a short block?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
not that I am aware of

is your crankshaft gear and balancer cut for double keys?

ytix

forum member
Reaction score
Recent price drop on the FRPP forged shortblocks got me bouncing thoughts around in my head. Hence the double-keying question, but I don't have a short block or the gear/balancer. Thanks for the response.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I had mine done , but it was done while out of the block . How much power are you trying to make ? The only reason I did it was because the Procharger was trying to pull the crank pulley at a angle with the crank pulley being so far out from the front bearing . With a Whipple I would think you would need to be making a hell of allot of HP to need the double key-ways.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I investigated machining my crankshaft for a 2nd keyway at the start of my build. I'm running 15 psi with my Saleen. After discussing it with several shops all agreed at my HP/boost level is wasn't necessary so I abondoned the idea.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I investigated machining my crankshaft for a 2nd keyway at the start of my build. I'm running 15 psi with my Saleen. After discussing it with several shops all agreed at my HP/boost level is wasn't necessary so I abondoned the idea.
At 20 psi I was pulling the crank pulley hard enough to scuff the crank snout from the movement of the crank pulley even with an ARP bolt in there . It was with a Procharger though on an 8 rib with a very tight belt .

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back