Downside to Drag Radials?

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
With power in the 550whp range, I realize traction is going to be an issue.

I may venture to the track once or twice, but this is a street car first and foremeost. My thought is that even a little run through the gears could be difficult without DR's.

What are the downsides to a drag radial? I hear they tend to pick up gravel a bit more, and do not last very long.

Incidently, I am looking at the Nitto DR 305/40/18.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
Their sidwalls are typically pretty flimsy which will hurt you in cornering a little.

Gene K

forum member
Reaction score
Not worth a crap in the rain. The more streetable the less traction (as a a general rule). Flexable sidewalls mean crappy handling. For strictly all round street use I might consider a maximum performance street tire. If 700 hp exotics can run them.....NT05 might work if you like Nittos. 295/35R18 and 295/45R18 look like the most likely sizes.

Last edited:

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
Nittos suck.... MT or hoosier the best drag radials. However both dont last long on the street and rain..... no thanks

Id get a second set of cheap wheels for track trips

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
Not worth a crap in the rain. The more streetable the less traction (as a a general rule). Flexable sidewalls mean crappy handling. For strictly all round street use I might consider a maximum performance street tire. If 700 hp exotics can run them.....NT05 might work if you like Nittos. 295/35R18 and 295/45R18 look like the most likely sizes.

I like your idea. Tread pattern is going to be different than the Nitto 555's up front, but then again it would have been with the DR's also.

Looks like the NT05 in a 295/45/18 might be an improvement in traction over my existing 275/40/18 555's while not sacrificing handling, longevity.

The car never sees rain, so that's a non-issue.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know why you guys hate against the DR's with regards to rain so much. Just so long as they have some grooves left they are perfectly fine. No different than any other summer tire I've ran. Of course once you don't have any tread left that is a different story, BUT you can still get around and make it home etc. It's not like you're going to be trying to race or accelerate hard in the rain with any kind of tire.

I think the biggest downfall to the dr's is their short life (compared to most summer tires anyway). I didn't find them to be "too" negative on daily driving handling if they aren't a fat sidewall height, and are at full psi.

That being said I too would recommend the nt05's overall.

Last edited:

forensicsteve

Aggie Dad
Reaction score
Read too many posts of drivers aquaplaning on wet roads with DRs. Stickier the tire = less efficient at evacuating water.

What's fine for you may not be fine for him, given big difference in your respective rwhp.

Last edited:

JOK3R

forum member
Reaction score
I drove on Nitto DR's for 2 years in rain/snow and had no problems. You just have to have the self-control to take it VERY easy. I also did the exact same thing on Hoosier QTP's for almost a full year. Daily driven car. Just take it extremely easy and you should be ok. But I will admit I do know a few people that have either wrecked or wiped out (although in both instances they were doing something stupid).

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
Read too many posts of drivers aquaplaning on wet roads with DRs. Stickier the tire = less efficient at evacuating water.

What's fine for you may not be fine for him, given big difference in your respective rwhp.
I don't see why power would make a difference if you know how to drive in a common sense manor. he doesn't drive in the rain ever anyway so not like it matters one way or the other haha.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't see why power would make a difference if you know how to drive in a common sense manor. he doesn't drive in the rain ever anyway so not like it matters one way or the other haha.

It matters, I think, because other folks are going to read this. As general information, it would be irresponsible to say DRs do great in the rain for everyone.

DR's on my car in the ran, even brand new, are a no no. Period. I am really glad they work well on your car. I wish they did on mine. Say what you will about "if you know how to drive etc etc etc" I lost it on tip-in, more than once. I mean like just laying my foot on the pedal and giving it the slightest amount of gas.

That all being said, the NT05 seems like a good bet. I might try a set of those my next go round with rubber.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car is at 560 RWHP and 580 RWTQ and I am having no traction issues using BFG KDW's.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car is at 560 RWHP and 580 RWTQ and I am having no traction issues using BFG KDW's.

Which is what I just put on mine, and they are a vast inprovement over everything else I have tried for street tires.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

you must drive like a women... :beerchug2:

:kidding:

seriously tho... are you putting your foot in it?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which is what I just put on mine, and they are a vast inprovement over everything else I have tried for street tires.

Yes they are! Pricey but worth it to me.

you must drive like a women... :beerchug2:
:kidding:

seriously tho... are you putting your foot in it?

Don't get me wrong, I can break traction at any time if I really want to but I can goose it with no problem and launch pretty good. Now I can't make a good drag launch on the street, but on the street I don't need to. I can also do U-turns at 45+mph with out breaking traction so the wheels to me are pretty good.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
tI've been driving for the past month on nittos nt555r. My first dr so can speak for them being better or worse than a different brand. They work great for me on the street, havent taken them to the track yet.Very impressed with them in the rain. I have traction issues with 315rwhp so i have no idea how u guys with 500rwhp are running street/summer tires and like them. Of course downside is tire tread wear and life of course. NItto has a new version of the 555r for road race which i bet would be very nice on the street for getting power to the grond and still cornering like a champ. I plan to running drag radials on my dd for the summer months and switch back to street tires for the winter.
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent555r2

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
i have a 500+ RWHP car, and my Buddy has a 600+ RWHP car. We are both running 305/35R20 nitto 555R's. Who would EVER drive on in the rain??? and They seem to handle just fine. there is not much side wall to flex with it being a 35 series tire. I think they are 10 times better than the pirelli P-Zero Rossos that were on the car. I say go for it, and with 500+HP Stay the hell out of the rain

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

i used those and if i didnt drive like a madman at that power level i was fine but i could light it up at any moment. I didnt think i was having any issues

then i switched to DRs. Boy what a difference. i didnt think i was having any traction issues till i switched then the car felt like it gained 50 rwhp.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was concerned about running DRs here in Germany with ~3" of rain per month. I'm very impressed by them. Of course I can break them loose whenever I want, but if you keep your head about you they work fine in the rain. I'll buy another set when these are done.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i used those and if i didnt drive like a madman at that power level i was fine but i could light it up at any moment. I didnt think i was having any issues

then i switched to DRs. Boy what a difference. i didnt think i was having any traction issues till i switched then the car felt like it gained 50 rwhp.

Now that makes me want to consider the D/R. The problem is that I often get caught in the rain on long trips with the car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back