Drag suspension handeling on the street

CreamOnTheCob

Reaction score
Hello, I am debating going to a more drag friendly suspension (bmr drag springs and viking shocks) but curious to that setup or similar setups street mannerisms. Currently I have koni yellows all around and eibach springs. I dont visit the track that much and spend more time street driving as it is my daily except winter time. I do like off/on ramps at speed, curves, and quicker maneuvers around others. Would the drag springs and vikings take away from being able to make quick moves at above legal speeds or any adverse corner handeling? Car is a twin turbo 700rwhp/610tq. On track I would pair it with 15in and a MT tire, street is 18in toyo r888r. I already have control arms w/mounts on the car also. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
IMO if you don't track the car much, I wouldn't change anything, handling and comfort are more important on the street.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Removing my front torsion bar was probably the biggest factor in me totaling my 2009 Bullitt. Leave it on and hooked up for street use. Disconnect one side on track night, then hook it back up.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Removing my front torsion bar was probably the biggest factor in me totaling my 2009 Bullitt. Leave it on and hooked up for street use. Disconnect one side on track night, then hook it back up.
How so? I've had my FSB off for almost 10 years now and didn't notice it being gone.

CreamOnTheCob

Reaction score
I don't really care about the comfort aspect of suspension only really the performance. I have heard of disconnecting the bar for track days and wouldn't be opposed to it. Anyone use drag suspension setup on street and do any off/on ramps or weaving at speed? I just dont want to make the car less agile for the majority of my driving, although I keep my shenanigans on open straights mostly anyways. I wouldn't run skinnies up front which I know hinder the car a bunch. Thanks again!

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
My car isn't a daily but when it is driven, I run Strange adjustables and Viking crusaders on BMR drag springs all around. 17x4.5 fronts and 15x10 rears. The directions tell ya not to street drive them unless the settings are both at zero, so I can't contest to how well it would perform on the "off/on ramps" All of my schenanigans are done in straight lines.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run no swaybars and a ARB on the street. Its not much different to me.

CreamOnTheCob

Reaction score
Seems like it shouldn't be a big deal if I switch suspension over. I appreciate the input guys! If I do the switch I will update just incase others are curious, and include some non linear play data =]

Mustang50lx

Reaction score
I had 90/10 struts, drag springs, and no front sway bar on my Fox body. I also occasionally drove to the track on my quick time pro's. It felt weird at first, but I got used to it. You have to adjust your driving to it and respect that it handles different. If you try to blast around a 90 degree bend with a car set up like that you might be sorry.

07 Boss

Reaction score
The more you go towards a track set up the more you lose on the street. There is a finite amount of traction and handling to play with so if you move it in one direction you have to give up in another. Your car is set up balanced from the factory in order for it to perform in any given condition. Once you narrow or move it that balance you upset the handling. With that said my car is set up for the track. She handles like a pig on the streets but I don;t drive as spirited as I used to so it's not a big deal. No front sway bar and super stiff rear sway bar. I had 90/10 struts and 50/50 rear but went back to my Bilstein HD's for the front struts and Viking dbl adj on the rear. Cobra Jet RA springs in the back and BMR GT500 drag spring up front. She does really great at the track but gave up some on the street. It's personal preference on where you want to balance it. I daily my car now so I went from an all out track set up to a somewhat streetable car.

8sec_lx

Reaction score
Yes, it will absolutely affect it as soon as you swap to softer springs and add an anti roll bar. Been there, done that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back