Driver Wraps New Mustang Around Tree After Owning It For Only Eight Hours

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I have to give Trey (no known relation) props for coming straight out and admitting that the fault was all his own. A sad and expensive way to learn that knowing the road does not mean you know the car, though.

Trey Peterson said:
Well the turn came up on me quicker than I thought it was going to, I was definitely going too fast for the turn, no questions there. It's most frustrating because I've driven that part of the road thousands of times and know it well..

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The article doesn't even claim that traction control would've prevented the accident.
It's the tendency to believe that it would have, despite Post #25 in the Mustang source link only commenting that it was 'off'. The safety nazis wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinyodas
Mike, is there more to the story you could share?.

He apparently picked up the car the day before. As you can see, clear, sunny and dry. He was going on a slight curve, floored it with traction control off, rear got around, over corrected, broadside skid into practically the only tree around.

Norm

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
It's the tendency to believe that it would have, despite Post #25 in the Mustang source link only commenting that it was 'off'. The safety nazis wouldn't have it any other way.

Norm

I thought we were talking about the article here, which you mistakenly thought MidNiteBlue wrote.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
The article doesn't even claim that traction control would've prevented the accident.

"..show what can happen when you choose to turn off the traction control in the 412 horsepower V8 muscle car.."

It doesnt directly say TCS could have 'Prevented' it, but I was just making sure. Norm's post seemed directed to me personally, just clearing things up. Thats all haha :thumb2:

Last edited:

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it would've prevented it, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt

jrc1122

Reaction score
If I could pick any super power,, it would be to be as strong as that tree!

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Sadly this is probably how many 5.0's will end up.

Yeah, shits too fast now- it's insane that your average fresh out of college grad who's never owned a fast car or your average 54 year old midlife crisis dude who's last 'fast' car was a 15 second IrocZ can head down the Ford dealership and drive home in a mid-12 second, 400 HP death machine. LOL

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It doesnt directly say TCS could have 'Prevented' it, but I was just making sure. Norm's post seemed directed to me personally, just clearing things up. Thats all haha :thumb2:
I'm afraid that without being able to get to the jalopnik link, it isn't possible for me to tell where their text stops and yours begins. I'll try again once I get home and out from under the corporate internet filters.

Sorry if I was a little harsh, but I tend to get that way when I read suggestions about how some electronic nanny or other would have covered for some driver error or other. To that mentality . . . I say bullshit (and that the nannies are there to cover for mostly minor lapses in judgment). My earlier comments I'd post to jalopnic or say to the head of the NHTSA directly to his face, verbatim.

Swarzkopf brings up a good point, about cars with performance potential that's well beyond what the experience of the driver supports, being (too) readily available. By themselves, the cars aren't the problem. It's when the driver gets himself in over his head, which is admittedly easier with 400+HP and RWD than it is with maybe 175HP and FWD. I don't have any magic answers, but there probably aren't any anyway.

Though somehow instilling patience and a sense of caution in drivers strongly enough to shut down the red mist that comes over you when the engine is roaring and you're being pinned back in the seat would have to be part of what is needed here.

Norm

Last edited:

Fast351

I can't drive 55
Reaction score
Not saying electronic nannies would have prevented this wreck, but they've definitely saved my ass a couple of times. I'm used to pretty fast cars (owned a 10 second fox body for a long time) and I've done some admittedly stupid things in my 11 GT that had the stability control stepping in saying "not so fast". I think it's the amazing handling of these new chassis that drives one to do stupid shit.

In any case, I just leave mine turned on on the street. That said, "a man must know his limitations" :hi:

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, shits too fast now- it's insane that your average fresh out of college grad who's never owned a fast car or your average 54 year old midlife crisis dude who's last 'fast' car was a 15 second IrocZ can head down the Ford dealership and drive home in a mid-12 second, 400 HP death machine. LOL

Yep, that was exactly my point and what I was thinking when I said that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back