Emission Trouble

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking for some info on O2 sensors and how they affect NOx readings and possibly HC readings. Car is supercharged, JLT CAI, Pypes LT’s with new cats. I’ve got a Brenspeed emissions tune which was used in 2012 to pass the Colorado test. The car has failed with the Brenspeed tune and a JDM emissions tune. Today’s test HC was 2.1360 limits are 1.2, NOx was 2.0456 limit is 1.5. Car isn’t throwing any codes and runs great. Additionally last test in April I tried using fouler and this time ran the 02 sensor without. No change in outcome.
Saleen SC 3.0 pulley, Pypes LT’s with catted x pipe (new cats 2018), plugs look good they have 10k miles on them.

Just curious if running race fuel and torco fuel additive could have fouled the o2 sensor enough to cause some bad readings?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
We have different tests here in europe, but I found out that my high flow cats are virtually useless because theyre much further downstream than stock unless I give them a good warm up. A good run with a few WOT pulls later they heated up and the readings all dropped dramaticly.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I think that's the issue. High HC and NOx readings do suggest that the cats aren't working as efficiently as they should. If they're much further downstream from the stock location, that would explain why.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
How often is emissions testing? Could install the factory stuff for the test. This is more my curiosity - up where I'm from we cannot afford to do any testing, and soon ICE cars will be on the decline so I will never get there.. thankfully.

edit:

How Often Does My Vehicle Need an Inspection?
  • Vehicles seven (7) years and newer do not require inspection.
  • Vehicles eight (8) years and older, back to model year 1982, require an inspection every two years.
  • Vehicles model year 1981 and older are inspected every year.
Well.. two years ain't bad.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How often is emissions testing? Could install the factory stuff for the test. This is more my curiosity - up where I'm from we cannot afford to do any testing, and soon ICE cars will be on the decline so I will never get there.. thankfully.

edit:

How Often Does My Vehicle Need an Inspection?
  • Vehicles seven (7) years and newer do not require inspection.
  • Vehicles eight (8) years and older, back to model year 1982, require an inspection every two years.
  • Vehicles model year 1981 and older are inspected every year.
Well.. two years ain't bad.

On the front range of Colorado: Denver/Colorado Springs, Pueblo it is required every two years. I moved to the front range in 2011 so the car was tested in 2012 when my registration needed to be renewed. In 2014 the car failed but I started keeping it in a different part of the state during the winter so I registered it there and didn't have to worry about the testing. I bought a new house with a 3 car garage so the car is here all the time so I need to get this sorted out so I can keep it registered here now. Unfortunately I sold the stock exhaust manifolds, cats etc. when I went with Long tubes.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they actually put a sniffer on the exhaust?

Reaction score
Try some injector cleaner and a tank of the best premium quality fuel you can find. Run the car hard up and down the street, couple good WOT pulls and have them have the sniffer ready and calibrated when you get back. My CO went from high above legal threshold to almost zero because I got my tiny little high flow cats good and hot.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Update: Installed a new set of O2 sensors and made it through with flying colors. I got nervous when the car was on the dyno as it went into a second chance mode which I figured meant another emissions test fail. Glad when I checked out that it was a pass. The kid driving my car was an idiot. They block the front tires with when it is put on the dyno but they don’t strap it down on the back end. Goof ball spun the tires on the rollers.
Now that she has passed I’ll pull the new cats off throw the old Kooks on it and save the new ones for next test in 2 years.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back