3v turbo build wont pass emissions

jack hanneken

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 3 valve with a turbo that I picked up for a pretty good price. I decided to jump into it knowing that it wouldn't pass emissions due to multiple monitors not completing. Most of which are the 02 monitors or a catalyst monitor. It does not have a cat and the only o2 sensors on the car are the ones in the down pipes. There is one additional spot for an o2 sensor after the exhaust goes through the turbo, however there is no sensor in that spot. I know its not easy to pass with this type of setup and there is no magic solution that will make me pass. With that being said does anyone know what I should start with in order to get on the right path towards passing smog? Thanks!!

teeje

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 3 valve with a turbo that I picked up for a pretty good price. I decided to jump into it knowing that it wouldn't pass emissions due to multiple monitors not completing. Most of which are the 02 monitors or a catalyst monitor. It does not have a cat and the only o2 sensors on the car are the ones in the down pipes. There is one additional spot for an o2 sensor after the exhaust goes through the turbo, however there is no sensor in that spot. I know its not easy to pass with this type of setup and there is no magic solution that will make me pass. With that being said does anyone know what I should start with in order to get on the right path towards passing smog? Thanks!!
Put rear o2s in jt, turn the rear of monitors on, put non foulers or mil eliminators on the on sensors and let the monitors complete. Or put a stock exhaust on it. Some places guys have to completely revert to stock to pass including putting stock cams in, exhaust, etc. Or, create an llc in a state that doesn't require emissions testing and register that car in that state as a business vehicle, boom no more testing. All of which, are entirely up to you.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Laga

Reaction score
Once you install the rear O2 sensors, give Lito a call for the tune. Then look up the driving sequence procedure needed to active the monitors and follow it exactly. A hand held diagnosis tool can tell you when the monitors are ready. Unless you are in California, you should be OK.

teeje

Reaction score
Once you install the rear O2 sensors, give Lito a call for the tune. Then look up the driving sequence procedure needed to active the monitors and follow it exactly. A hand held diagnosis tool can tell you when the monitors are ready. Unless you are in California, you should be OK.
Yep. If you're in commiefornia you're fucked

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jack hanneken

Reaction score
Thank you guys! I'm luckily in Missouri so I should be able to find a work around. They already passed me on safety inspection and said as long as the computer says its okay they don't care about aftermarket parts. I also found a shop that willing to give me a complete retune and fix a couple other things plus get it through emissions for <$1000!

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Thank you guys! I'm luckily in Missouri so I should be able to find a work around. They already passed me on safety inspection and said as long as the computer says its okay they don't care about aftermarket parts. I also found a shop that willing to give me a complete retune and fix a couple other things plus get it through emissions for <$1000!
Hi jack hanneken,

You do know you can just go on this website: Missouri Car Inspection Exemptions & Requirements | DMV.ORG & get all your questions concerning Missouri's emissions requirements for your vehicle answered..........?

For example, if your vehicle isn't registered in St. Louis, St. Charles, Jefferson or Franklin counties you don't require an emissions cert test to register it thus you can do what you want to it as long as you ain't smoking out the neighborhood....within those counties listed above Missouri only requires that your OBDI\OBDII vehicle (4 yrs to 30 yrs old) passes the IM Readiness checks which is used to monitor\verify catalytic converter operation-doesn't mention anything about OEM component requirements or any TSI\ASM gas analyzer cert tests so in the state of Missouri, if your vehicle passes the state vehicle safety inspection checks essentially for all practical purposes your pretty much golden......

I don't live in Missouri & I found all this in 5 mins...............

This is all anyone in the US has to do to know what's what concerning their vehicle emissions situation(s) in the State\county they live in.......

Just mentioning this for informational purposes.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back