192k 2006 MUSTANG V6 DIED AND NOW HAS MISSFIRE HELP :'c

MustangJason

Reaction score
I take great care of this car. oil changes every 5k Miles. never sees above 4k rpm. Just a old car who sees the highway often....I really need help. Please read all of this and try to help me. I was driving down the road, made a right turn and BAM car shuts off. I coast to the side of the road and throw my car in park when I hit 5mph because I was panic shook I threw my car in park. While it was still at 5pm . and my transmission made a light chirp. No damage on my tranny I assume, but that isnt my issue. I tried stating the car and it turned about 4-5 times and nothing happen so I tried again and it started but bogged down immidently. Started it again and it bogged down immidently again. 3rd time i started it and i put my foot down a little to help it idle and it sounds like a mean hotrod cam, but dies when i let my foot off the gas. -- $80 for a 3.3 mile tow home and i start throwing money at it praying. Just New Coils,Coil Pack,Vapor Canister Purge Valve ,Vapor Canister Vent Valve and New Spark Plugs. It idles now but it still has a missfire and the engine+car is shaking a bit from that missfire. The only codes i have on this car are p0442 p0457 p0455 those 3 are evap leaks. I took down my entire evap system and inspected the canister multiple times and I didn't see any cracks*like that would cause this probem?*. I let the battery unplugged for 5 mins to see if that affects it and it runs the same. --3 weeks prior I changed my entire exhaust. Broke 1 o2 sensor and used one from my 50k mile 2001 Cobras exhaust. 02 sensor is a 02 senor eh? They both came from the same spot, and looked the same.
---Cold this be a Vaccume leak? Maybe I have inspected the engine with my eyes and hands thoroughly and can't seem to find a problem. I have inspected MAF, TBPS. and they don't seem to look dirty at all.
I however did take my air intake off and my behind my throttle body it is very dirty.
----One of my fuel injectors is wet around it. may this be the problem? I notice 5 of my fuel injectors are dry but the front most injector of the passenger side visually appears to be wet around it. Not badly wet, not dripping. But slightly around the ENTIRE injector it is leaking.
--Is this a timing issue? would 1 jumped tooth cause it to sound like a missfire in everysingle. BUT it is now able to hold a steady idle? ALSO THE CAR DOESN'T SMOKE OUT THE EXHAUST ANY.
--- Is my Fuel Pump Going Dead? Well I hear it whine for a few seconds, then turn off when i turn the key. my fuel guage has no problems and has never had any. !!should I use the schrader valve to test the fuel pressure? Would that give me any answers.
-- Tried pressing the fuel pump reset button beside the hood lever, didn't do anything.
-- Will provide a video if that will help.

--Side note. Someone put sugar in my gas tank 2 years ago but i took the entire pump out and cleaned it all out. + a new fuel filter. (I had 0 problems from it) - don't know if that would do anything 2 years later.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You need to do the basic tests first before you start buying parts. Fuel pressure, cylinder compression, and check spark plugs. Pull all plugs, set them side by side. If one looks different from the others, that is your problem cylinder. Search for pics on spark plugs and what is good/bad to get an idea. But in short, "good" plugs look dry brown-to-white electrodes. Black/wet = bad/not firing.

JimC

Reaction score
On the 4.0 it is easy to cross the spark plug wires when doing a change. At the coil one side is in numerical order but the other one isn't. If you wire it wrong the waste spark will cause the shaking that you describe and poor idle. Double check each plug wire and make sure you didn't cross anything.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back