Engine Fail Safe mode...stock 05 GT

Mikes05GTPremium

forum member
Reaction score
was cruising today on the way home from work and the display showed FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE.

The car is stock, and before mods or anyone else says " SEARCH" ive already searched and all I can find are threads where the owner has an aftermarket tune on the vehicle.

A few months back I had a recurring p0171 and 174 code. Lean. I also retrieved a p0506 code at one point during this time. I removed the TB and cleaned it, reflashed the PCM to stock, and brought it into work to clear the KAM. The codes have not returned since.

Today the car sat since about 6:45AM til 3PM. Fired the car up and let her run for 5 minutes before leaving work. Seemed to be running fine like usual. About 3 miles down the road my display showed FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE

Hooked up to my SCT Xcal (Keep in mind, the car is NOT tuned yet) It showed no codes. After stopping, shutting the car off, and starting it back up it seems to be running normal again.

I have no repair history on the vehicle, and it does have 90k on it.
I believe it has original plugs in it.

Just looking for a few points to start off from or to check into first thing in the morning when I have access to a Ford IDS VCM.

IF you guys have some ideas please chime in.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
It's not overheating? Oil pressure? Maybe your fuel pump is giving up.

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
Bad Gas, vacuum leak that could appear after hearing up, my air intake coupler use to do that. Fuel filter clogged, air filter clogged

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Check all the normal stuff - vacuum leak, loose/dirty air filter, dirty MAF/TB, etc.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You need to change the plugs no matter what. Like the other posters have said check for a vacuum leak or anything that would allow unmetered air in. I'm going to guess that there is an error in what is being measured for airflow and what is getting into the motor. Even check along the entire air intake and tb to make sure everything is connected and tight. A dirty maf would duplicate unmetered air symptoms.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
I had my car go into failsafe mode a few months ago, pulled a code related to the throttle position sensor. Restarted the car and it was fine, haven't had an issue with that since. May have just been a hiccup.

MaDDMaNN

MaDDMaNN
Reaction score
I had the po171 po174 codes on my car after having Long Tube Headers installed. It turned out that my cold air intake was loose, and was leaking around the filter. I fixed the leak, no more code. In addition the installer put the o2 non-foulers on the wrong set of o2 sensors. I moved them to the rear o2 sensors, no more codes.

Mikes05GTPremium

forum member
Reaction score
3908 misfires since last drive cycle, CYL 1.
21 Misfires since last drive cycle, cyl 3.

this is all information I retrieved using Ford's VCM and IDS systems.

Two new coils, no more misfire. cars running like a top now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back