Engine noise 07 Shelby GT 5 speed

07SHELBY GT

My car makes a light rapping noise that seems to be in time with intake resonance,Checked all the TSB's,none seem to apply.Sounds like something is loose,Can't find it!!!Louder when the engine is cold,Not as noisy after some heat buids in the drivetrain,Most audible from drivers seat,Sounds like coming from passenger side floor,Or firewall area,But when you sit on the passenger side the noise is not as bad!When it's colder outside it seems louder.When the engine warms up tou can only hear it under hard acceleration.Car only has 800 miles,Noise seems to have started at about 200 miles.I've run it through the gears pretty hard hoping the noise would find me,Because it's driving me nutz:furious:Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It could be an exhaust leak. I had a ticking/knocking sound, worse when cold, went away when hot. I was all over the car with a stethoscope. It was so hard to locate!!! I was hanging around under the car one night (need to work on my social life...) when I saw a lot of soot around the lap joint of one of my Flowmaster mufflers and the stock piping. I got some better clamps with a wider (~1") band, and have not heard the noise since. The clamps that came with the mufflers were pretty crappy, and ended up distorting the pipes. That certainly didn't help. I'd check the exhaust system to make sure everything's torqued down, and check for black soot around all the joints.

07SHELBY GT

It could be an exhaust leak. I had a ticking/knocking sound, worse when cold, went away when hot. I was all over the car with a stethoscope. It was so hard to locate!!! I was hanging around under the car one night (need to work on my social life...) when I saw a lot of soot around the lap joint of one of my Flowmaster mufflers and the stock piping. I got some better clamps with a wider (~1") band, and have not heard the noise since. The clamps that came with the mufflers were pretty crappy, and ended up distorting the pipes. That certainly didn't help. I'd check the exhaust system to make sure everything's torqued down, and check for black soot around all the joints.
Thanks!I'll check that tomorrow.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
It might be a loose exhaust hanger. I think there is a TSB out about that sound. The TSB was for a rattle around the center stack, and it's tells the techs to check the exhaust.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car makes a light rapping noise that seems to be in time with intake resonance,Checked all the TSB's,none seem to apply.Sounds like something is loose,Can't find it!!!Louder when the engine is cold,Not as noisy after some heat buids in the drivetrain,Most audible from drivers seat,Sounds like coming from passenger side floor,Or firewall area,But when you sit on the passenger side the noise is not as bad!When it's colder outside it seems louder.When the engine warms up tou can only hear it under hard acceleration.Car only has 800 miles,Noise seems to have started at about 200 miles.I've run it through the gears pretty hard hoping the noise would find me,Because it's driving me nutz:furious:Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think you may be looking for this: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10988&postcount=40

Hope this helps.

Mike

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank you!Tomorrow I'm going to jack it up and check over the exhaust pretty closely!

Shit, take it to your dealer and make them fix it under warranty! Tell them to specifically do this TSB. They can't argue with their on TSBs!

Hope this helps.

Mike

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The SGT has the X pipe clamped on...which if the clamps aren't tight could be a possible source of the sound...

07SHELBY GT

The SGT has the X pipe clamped on...which if the clamps aren't tight could be a possible source of the sound...
I've checked everything exhaust wise,Installed Flowmaster axlebacks,Which involved some loosening of the x pipe and retightened everything,Noise still showsup at times,Very strange.I was going to take it to the dealer,But I drove another SGT and it seemed to have a similar noise,Only not as bad.So I'm going to let it ride for now as letting the dealer have my car for a day or so doesn't make me feel real good!If it's engine or trans related,Eventually it will show itself I'm sure.Thanks for all the advice guys,Much appreciated!

Buzzystang

forum member
Reaction score
Check to make sure the CAI filter is not rubbing on the underside of the hood or the edge of the fender.

I had a similar sound, I thought it might be the exhaust TSB, maybe pinging. Turns out it was the CAI filter tapping against the edge of the hood. I'm running a JLTII, but I know the SGT's run the ford CAI. I added a piece of adhesive foam to the hood and another under the filter on the wheel well and problem solved.

07SHELBY GT

Check to make sure the CAI filter is not rubbing on the underside of the hood or the edge of the fender.

I had a similar sound, I thought it might be the exhaust TSB, maybe pinging. Turns out it was the CAI filter tapping against the edge of the hood. I'm running a JLTII, but I know the SGT's run the ford CAI. I added a piece of adhesive foam to the hood and another under the filter on the wheel well and problem solved.
Funny you would mention that,I put some adhesive backed foam under the back most unsupported edge of the deflector on mine as it looked like a possible source of noise,But really haven't looked at the hood itself!Thanks!

Buzzystang

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome avatar Buzzystang!!!

I changed it last night. It's supposed to be an animated .gif, but I think it's too large for the forum. Some of us ol modular ford guys had a thing for it a while back, maybe one of them still has a link to the full video...

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I changed it last night. It's supposed to be an animated .gif, but I think it's too large for the forum. Some of us ol modular ford guys had a thing for it a while back, maybe one of them still has a link to the full video...
A beautiful sight indeed!!

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You may also be hearing piston slap. Especially if you have mild exhaust, a cold morning, and RPM < 1,000. I believe I am hearing it from at least one of my cylinders. Goes away when everything heats up. Some people have told me that it's normal for these engines, and harmless, and others have said it is abnormal. I'd prefer the pistons not strike the cylinder walls at all, but at least it's only when cold. Probably a good reason to wait until >180F before stomping it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back