wheel noise?

blackjack07

Reaction score
Ok, I did a heap of searching for answers to this issue without a definitive resolution so here goes. I've had this light rattle/clunk from the right rear ever since I acquired the car. Boys at the shop have had a good long look at finding it without succe$$. Tech in the trunk road test. All trunk linings, panels and spare out. Jounce bushings replaced 50 miles ago. Greased the springs and checked the coil overs/shocks and all bushings for play. All good. No leaks at the hubs or pumpkin. It takes some effort but when I forcibly rock the ass end I can hear a very faint clunk right at the right rear wheel. Passenger side only. When the car is warmed up after several miles the noise diminishes almost completely. Do we need to worry?

blackjack07

Reaction score
Ok, I did a heap of searching for answers to this issue without a definitive resolution so here goes. I've had this light rattle/clunk from the right rear ever since I acquired the car. Boys at the shop have had a good long look at finding it without succe$$. Tech in the trunk road test. All trunk linings, panels and spare out. Jounce bushings replaced 50 miles ago. Greased the springs and checked the coil overs/shocks and all bushings for play. All good. No leaks at the hubs or pumpkin. It takes some effort but when I forcibly rock the ass end I can hear a very faint clunk right at the right rear wheel. Passenger side only. When the car is warmed up after several miles the noise diminishes almost completely. Do we need to worry?

Bump. Is this a normal condition?

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Get under there while you have somebody else forcibly rock your ass end. Use a stethoscope to help pinpoint it if your ears can't narrow it down on their own.

07 Boss

Reaction score
It's simple. Pull up the carpet or lining in your trunk. On the passenger side there are a couple of cavities where shit can fall. I found 2 10 mm sockets and a screwdriver that had fallen down there after chasing a faint rattle for months. They sat pretty still most of the time but every once in a while I would hear them rattle and clunk around and it was really annoying to track down.

Might not be the answer but it's worth a little peek.

blackjack07

Reaction score
It's simple. Pull up the carpet or lining in your trunk. On the passenger side there are a couple of cavities where shit can fall. I found 2 10 mm sockets and a screwdriver that had fallen down there after chasing a faint rattle for months. They sat pretty still most of the time but every once in a while I would hear them rattle and clunk around and it was really annoying to track down.

Might not be the answer but it's worth a little peek.

Great suggestion. I have had everything out last spring including the carpet, side panels, spare deck and spare (where there was an old tool set somebody thought to stash) and also the trunk/bumper trim panel over the tail lights in search of loose parts without finding anything but it's worth another look. Next effort is to take my endoscopic inspection camera and work it into the fender/quarter panel voids by the shock mounts and side light indicators. Thanks for replying.

AboStangster

Reaction score
Hi Blackjack07,
Some easily overlooked things you may have already checked:
- the brake dust shield
- ABS cable
- parking brake cable
- loose nut in a wheel spacer
- exhaust heat shield
- old and loose exhaust hanger

blackjack07

Reaction score
Hey AboStangster thanks for taking time to make the suggestion. You might be on to something with the heat shield. As I mentioned in my OP, the noise practically disappears when the car gets thoroughly warmed up. I'm sending the 360* camera under there again today to see if I can get a closer look. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back