EPAS Terrible Shudder

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know what the book time is but I did on stands in my driveway in 4 hours including resetting toe and checking camber.
Steve

thanks again steve. i don't have a driveway, let alone a garage so i have to find a shop to do it. probably an indie frame and alignment shop.

got the car back. dealer ate the cost of the alignment and inspection, but still no warranty. they said it's not shaking anymore, but i didn't make it down the block before i went over a manhole cover and it started nibbling like there was no tomorrow. in a straight line.

i give up... Rehagen Racing, help.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
The way I looked at it is, I replaced the rack so that I could enjoy my car now as opposed to being caught in a dangerous situation or just worrying the shudder is going to reoccur every time I drive the car.

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
The way I looked at it is, I replaced the rack so that I could enjoy my car now as opposed to being caught in a dangerous situation or just worrying the shudder is going to reoccur every time I drive the car.

steve mentioned it's heavy at parking lot speeds... how heavy are we talking about? no power assist? bmw-heavy?

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
I'm talking about 70-80mph speeds when it's shuddering so much you feel like you are going to wreck some front end component and have difficulty accelerating trying to get rid of it, which does not work and the shudder wont go away unless you slow to 40mph

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
I'm talking about 70-80mph speeds when it's shuddering so much you feel like you are going to wreck some front end component and have difficulty accelerating trying to get rid of it, which does not work and the shudder wont go away unless you slow to 40mph

sorry i was not clear. i was referring to the power assist in the 302S rack being heavy at parking lot speeds.

i wish i could film how badly my steering wheel shakes. it's almost a blur if you try to focus on it. no one wants to ride with me therefore i can't find a cameraman because everyone is scared we will crash.

Last edited:

Rehagen Racing

forum member
Reaction score
I've never noticed the car being heavy at slow speeds but we don't pay much attention to it. We even use a smaller steering wheel than stock and it's nearly the same.

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
The steering is weighted like it is always at speed. So it's not heavy per se, just not parking lot over boosted. You won't be doing the 1 finger spin when parallel parking. I love how it feels compared to stock.
Steve

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
I've never noticed the car being heavy at slow speeds but we don't pay much attention to it. We even use a smaller steering wheel than stock and it's nearly the same.

What smaller steering wheel do you use as I'm thinking of changing mine? We're you able to keep speed and radio controls. I don't care about sync

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 302S Rack is any different hardware wise then the original racks?

In other words, are we looking at the same rack except one has a brain and the 302S rack either doesn't or is just in a permanent Jerry Garcia like state?

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 302S Rack is any different hardware wise then the original racks?

In other words, are we looking at the same rack except one has a brain and the 302S rack either doesn't or is just in a permanent Jerry Garcia like state?

they're more or less the same. I've heard there's some minor casting differences here or there, so you can imagine just standard revisions to a part.

I'll know for sure once I get one in.

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
has this happened to bone stock cars or just modified cars?

i don't know enough to answer this, but it's almost a sure thing if you use a stiffer bushing in the front LCAs. as for stock, i've been told by others 2011 models (like me) get it the worst :argh:

Last edited:

GT_350

Reaction score
So, the Boss rack does not have this issue?

If it does, it is fixable?

Hmmm....

I just got off the phone with our OEM Ford Supplier.

These are the only racks he had in his sytem:

17" Wheels - DR3Z-3504-AE
18" Wheels - DR3Z-3504-BE
19/20" Wheels - DR3Z-3504-CE
Boss 302 Race - M-3200-EPAS

So, I will assume that the DR3Z-3504-CE rack is the same for the Brembo / GT500 / Boss302...?

Has anyone tried to use the DR3Z-3504-CE on a car that is having this issue? Hopw many cars having this issue, have the "CE" version??

I wonder if the Brembo cars all got the "CE" rack?

I've got a 2012 Boss 302 and have installed the following:

suspension.png

I've done 4 track days at Sebring since installing the bushings and I've not had any shudder in my steering. I guess I've got the CE rack.

-----------

I've only seen 2011 Mustang with this problem, BMR Tech what year is your car? Do you have the BE rack in your car?

Are there any 2012 and up Mustangs with the AE/BE rack that have installed bushings?

Benjamin T

forum member
Reaction score
i found a rack from a totaled gt500 in my area. it's either a 2011 or a 2012 (still waiting for answer). will it have the DR3Z-3504-CE rack in it? will it work on my 2011 GT?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back