EPAS Terrible Shudder

aequitas4

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. As I said before my shudder was not nearly as bad as some of the videos but it definitely drove me crazy. As of today my steering shudder is still gone... almost at 190k now. There were a few other items I found helped the situation.

1. I removed the junky rotor retaining rings on the hubs as some people claimed they could cause balance issues. (I think this helped slightly but it was hard to tell).

2. I replaced my front control arm and bushing assemblies with new stock ford ones. (I noticed NO IMPROVEMENT in the shudder from this) even though my original Ford stock bushings were demolished. Handling is way better though ;)

3. I adjusted my hood alignment and the hood height bump stops. At high speeds the hood bouncing in the wind actually did contribute to my steering wheel shaking (I know it sounds crazy but it HELPED A LOT)

4. The item I referenced about using the ForScan app was then used when I found calibration faults:
Quoted from my message above: "I got a bluetooth obd2 adapter with the hs/ms switch and downloaded the forscan app for my android. When I scanned the steering module it found some calibration faults that weren't throwing CEL's. I simply reset the steering, abs, and restraint modules using the FORSCAN app and restarted the car."

5. The final item was another tire balance and alignment after the install of the new Ford control arms.

I would like to make sure I clarify that I never had aftermarket bushings on my front control arms. My stock ones were definitely shot when this started but replacing those did not improve my shudder.

Since then the car has been riding smooth with no shudder in the steering wheel whatsoever.

aequitas4

Reaction score
The hs/ms switch physically switches between two wires in the obd2 adapter to run in either the hs or ms mode to make sure you can access all of the vehicle modules. Its the two separate CAN bus systems. more info here:

How to add HS/MS CAN Switch to ELM327 OBD2 scanner | OBDII365.com Official Blog

All of the modules in the mustang are either on the HS or the MS bus. you have to physically flip the switch for the software to access each set.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The hs/ms switch physically switches between two wires in the obd2 adapter to run in either the hs or ms mode to make sure you can access all of the vehicle modules. Its the two separate CAN bus systems. more info here:

How to add HS/MS CAN Switch to ELM327 OBD2 scanner | OBDII365.com Official Blog

All of the modules in the mustang are either on the HS or the MS bus. you have to physically flip the switch for the software to access each set.
I do think they sell one without a switch that does it all. It's about $60 on Amazon.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back