exhaust leak can kiss my ass!

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So when I installed my headers a few weeks ago i had an exhaust leak. Wasnt really sure where it was coming from...so i went to an exhaust shop and they looked at it and said that the collector wasnt lined up all the way and so he lined it up and i went out to drive it and it was still leaking. So then i went to the same person again and he made the top of the pipe a little wider so it could connect good to it. Then it still was leaking and i was pissed. So i didnt feel like dealing with him anymore. I took it to another place and they saw that the egr pipe that connects to the side of the header wasnt tight all the way so i figured that could be it for sure. And so he tightened it down all the way. And went to drive....still leaking....so im just dumb founded on how i cant figure out where in the hell its coming from. So last week i bought factory gaskets from ford, today i just had them installed and i fugred that would be it becasue ive hearded the header gaskets wont seal right so about 4 hours later and $200 later, i go to drive it and it still is leaking! The leak is a litte louder than before. SO i called one of my good friends who use to own a shop here in town and he said since i waited a bit too long that the header could have warpped a little when it got hot and that i might need to have two gaskets on both sides, which might work. But i thought i would get some comments from you guys till i spend more money on something i dont need. Im just to the point to where im about to say fuck it and throw the stock ones on. Help me!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know about fixing your leak but if you put double gaskets on you will probably run into clearance issues with the headers. There isn't a lot of extra room around the steering shaft and some other areas.

Earl

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I think double gaskets would make it worse. My question to you is, did you use the stock nuts or did you use the screws provided by BBK? When I installed JBA's on my v6 I used the stock gaskets and stock nuts. I didn't have a problem.

Also, Did you make sure to put the COP that on is on the driver's side header on the outside of the header?

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think double gaskets would make it worse. My question to you is, did you use the stock nuts or did you use the screws provided by BBK? When I installed JBA's on my v6 I used the stock gaskets and stock nuts. I didn't have a problem.

Also, Did you make sure to put the COP that on is on the driver's side header on the outside of the header?

I used stock nuts the only thing i got from bbk nut wise was the ones that connected to the collector, that was it. And at first i used the gaskets that the headers came with and then i just switched to stock ones today. And yeah the cop is over the header.

bscottie

forum member
Reaction score
you need to know exactly where the leak is before you can fix it, I made a stethoscope out of a cheap blood pressure kit and a 2' piece of copper tubing, it helped me find a leak I had, you will hear the "air" making a fluttering sound when you get it pinpointed.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain man. I've had a reoccuring header leak for what seems like forever, but the bolts keep backing out on me. I hit them with some loctite, but we'll see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'll just have to deal with it for awhile.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this might sound dumb but try putting your old header back on...see if it still leaks.

not dumb at all im to the point where im about to. But it didnt leak when i had the stock ones on there, it started when i put the headers on.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you listened with an auto stethoscope for exactly where the leak is? It's quite possible that the header flange is not square and that is what is causing the leak. BBK doesn't have the best reputation for quality headers, before I gave up on them I would pull that side off and check it.

Earl

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you listened with an auto stethoscope for exactly where the leak is? It's quite possible that the header flange is not square and that is what is causing the leak. BBK doesn't have the best reputation for quality headers, before I gave up on them I would pull that side off and check it.

Earl

I havent listened with a stethoscope, but i did have the header flange checked on both sides to see if that was the problem too, and they were both fine. I called american muscle and talked to them about the headers, and they said there calling bbk on the problem to see what it might be or if the header is messed up in anyway, so im just waiting on a phone call back.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did he really tell you the EGR was loose? We dont have EGR on these cars lol

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain man. I've had a reoccuring header leak for what seems like forever, but the bolts keep backing out on me. I hit them with some loctite, but we'll see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'll just have to deal with it for awhile.

stage 8 locking bolts ...they run about 50 bucks are a pain in the ass to install but will never back out

as far as the leak you will have to take a listen to see where it's coming from to actually be able to explain a fix ...... but may very well be the header flange being off may have to bring them to a machine shop and have them shaved or it may be something as simple as the connections being a little loose or off i don't know how these attach but i know i caught hell with my pypes h until i undid the whole thing and reinstalled it right ( yep another one of my mistakes i brought my car to someone else to do the work the first time )

bscottie

forum member
Reaction score
he figured you had a GT, If you have the stethescope listen on the backside of the nut, if it is leaking take the tube loose from both ends and reinstall starting with the connection at the header first, the sound of the leaks I had sounded like a motorboat under water fluttering, I had a leak on my MACs on cylinder !1 on the bottom, very hard to locate, the stethoscope was the ticket.

G

GTStang08

it must be easy to put headers in a v6 than to swap it back and fwd...i installed mac long tubes in my GT it was a fun time! no issues tho with leaks. idk maybe u should put the stocks on see what happens, than get rid of them bbk's

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back