F150 Ecoboost Builds

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
The one thing I gotta say though I sorta miss the sound of the V8 from a pickup but then I dig into the boost and hear the whoosh and wish there was a rumble with the whoosh.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
bahaha

had to go home and think over his life decisions before he could talk to you about it eh? :p

The one thing I gotta say though I sorta miss the sound of the V8 from a pickup but then I dig into the boost and hear the whoosh and wish there was a rumble with the whoosh.

These trucks are so comfortable and dare I say, classy, to have loud rumbling exhaust on. The 5.0 trucks I've seen with 'pipes' just didn't do these trucks justice. Jmo

Sent from iPhone

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I do miss the V-8 grumble. But I think that is because I was conditioned to think that way. I like how near silent the EB is. I had exhaust on it, really quiet exhaust, but I put the stock stuff back on.

I wouldn't be heartbroken with a 5.0L EB though.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
You'll have to let us know what you think when you get back.

900? Is that a semi-normal thing or did you find a unicorn?

It better be a real beast if it's gonna out perform/tow the previous generation.

Just got back from parking the trailer and boy it was quite the adventure with. For starters, one of our sales people sold a Focus Electric (located at a dealer in Mass) and then realized that with a 70~ mile range, it would not make it back to VA easily. Lol. So I volunteered to do it since I felt like getting out of the store for the day and I enjoy towing.

For starters, the truck performed as good as I would have expected. My demo is a 145" wheel base, loaded with everything including Max Tow package. Only thing I did not order it with was the towing mirrors. I do not like the appearance towing mirrors (nor do many of customers) and I've never felt like I needed them while towing our 24' trailer in a 1/2 ton.

Our Featherlite trailer weights 3800~lbs unloaded and a Focus Electric weights 3,640 lbs. Yes, you read that right... this car weighs nearly 600lbs more than a standard Focus. So I was towing a combined total of 7,500lbs.

Fuel mileage unloaded was about 13 and once I got the car it fell to about 12mpg. Not bad considering I was always in boost and bouncing between 70-75MPG. The power was always on tap and in tow haul mode the truck pretty much read my mind when I needed power or was slowing down.

My truck has blind spot monitoring and it automatically turns off when you connect a trailer as well. Most annoying thing about the vehicle is that when towing you give very small adjustments, you can't just jerk the wheel... the truck doesn't register entirely that you are towing a trailer and kept thinking that I was falling asleep behind the wheel. Also, for trailer sway, if the truck detects it... it automatically stomps the brakes for a second. First time that happened, I nearly shit my pants.

All in all, enjoyable trip. I do hate NJ and NY roads and tolls though. Complete bullshit.

c0e1fefb95677ff0a6bbb65dafc604fc.jpg

fcc906222fa006b0f582310e0fa9127e.jpg

321953b634a85cee5351cc917d51f157.jpg

I do miss the V-8 grumble. But I think that is because I was conditioned to think that way. I like how near silent the EB is. I had exhaust on it, really quiet exhaust, but I put the stock stuff back on.

In the previous generation, I felt as if the 5.0L was slow... now with the weight difference I don't mind the 5.0L. However, I still prefer the power of the 3.5L and with the 15's sport mode, the truck instantly transforms into a racecar.... er... racetruck.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You need to further explain "The truck felt like I was falling asleep" and "the truck stomped on the brakes". Are these trucks becoming so automated that they take over control of the vehicle from the driver? Can these dangerous features be disabled?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
These new Fords have warning indicators if the vehicle senses that the operator is becoming fatigued... Normally low steering input can trigger the warning, as I explained.

As for the trailer sway control. The truck would automatically activate the brakes if it felt like the sway was getting sever. In my case it was becoming pretty noticeable but it activated the brakes before I could reduce speed myself. It's a pretty violent jerk when the computer controlled the brakes.

I haven't tried disabling it since I could sell the truck any day and wouldn't want to disable something and forget to remind the owner.

One other annoyance. Whenever you use the trailer brake controller, the vehicle chimes a 'dinging' sound. Started to piss me off after the 2nd time I used it. Lol

Hope that explains it. I'm an old school guy and not a fan of these nannies. Takes away responsibility away from drivers and makes them lazy by relying on them.

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
These trucks are so comfortable and dare I say, classy, to have loud rumbling exhaust on. The 5.0 trucks I've seen with 'pipes' just didn't do these trucks justice. Jmo

Sent from iPhone

We had a 5.0 at work for about a week and I thought it was pretty nice an STX model, had some pretty good pickup I thought, the 3.5 does outperform it though. I'm with you, I like my stock exhaust even if sometimes I wish it was louder I'm happy since it's my DD. A little more turbo sound would be nice though haha.

Even though I use my truck for work, I found the most useful thing I have ever done with it. Using the lift gate as a shelf for bolting up my engine stand.

20177582926_b0649a269f_k_d.jpg

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
So what's your guys thoughts on the smaller 2.7?

I've been lightly browsing for a 13-14 supercab 4x4 6.5 bed, around 30k miles but not seeing fx4 anywhere near what I'd want to pay especially the eco's. Seeing base 15's supercab 4x4s cheaper, makes me think go that route and do some upgrades like a leather kit and wheel/tire swap. I'd rarely tow with it, and not VA to MA type trips

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
So what's your guys thoughts on the smaller 2.7?

I've been lightly browsing for a 13-14 supercab 4x4 6.5 bed, around 30k miles but not seeing fx4 anywhere near what I'd want to pay especially the eco's. Seeing base 15's supercab 4x4s cheaper, makes me think go that route and do some upgrades like a leather kit and wheel/tire swap. I'd rarely tow with it, and not VA to MA type trips

I don't think I could ever be happy owning a truck with the smallest engine available. Ford's base engine trucks have always been rather anemic and that will also reflect on the value when you trade or sell it in 5-10-15 years. If you plan on keeping it for a long time then you get the pleasure of driving an underpowered truck for 15 years and then saying "But I saved $5K when I bought it!"

Not familiar with the newest ones but my truck is a 2002 F150 with the 5.4. It has the bigger rear axle than the 4.6 or 6 cyl versions so that upgrade alone was worth quite a bit (9.75 vs. 8.8). Often the bigger engines will be paired with a stronger transmission as well.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
The only thing small about the 2.7L is the displacement. The power of it is very surprising.

Now the "base" F-150 engine; the 3.5L V6 is the engine you'd complain about if you tried towing with it.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever be happy owning a truck with the smallest engine available. Ford's base engine trucks have always been rather anemic and that will also reflect on the value when you trade or sell it in 5-10-15 years. If you plan on keeping it for a long time then you get the pleasure of driving an underpowered truck for 15 years and then saying "But I saved $5K when I bought it!"

Not familiar with the newest ones but my truck is a 2002 F150 with the 5.4. It has the bigger rear axle than the 4.6 or 6 cyl versions so that upgrade alone was worth quite a bit (9.75 vs. 8.8). Often the bigger engines will be paired with a stronger transmission as well.

The non-turbo 3.5 v6 is the base.

3.5 v6 nonturbo 282hp/253tq
2.7 v6 ecoboost turbo 325/375
5.0 v8 385/387
3.5 ecoboost v8 365/420

think that's more than any of the 4.6 or 5.4's in the F150 previously

The only thing small about the 2.7L is the displacement. The power of it is very surprising.

Now the "base" F-150 engine; the 3.5L V6 is the engine you'd complain about if you tried towing with it.

Guess I'll have to just go try them all myself, wish there was an event I could do that at rather than having to waste a salesman time while I'm just trying to get a feel for what to really look at.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Take a trip to the VA area and you are more than welcome to waste my time.

Who knows... maybe you'll drive home in something else.

Lol

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

Lol

That's how I ended up buying mine. My buddy who is a sales guy said you have to drive one of these, and I did. I bought it that day. What a fucker.:rotflmao:

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score

Lol

Haha most of my cars haven't been local, 3 have been 2-3hrs one way but can't say I've done 6+ hours. I'll probably narrow it down locally on what I want, but then might not be worst idea to really open up my search area

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Cam you need to reduce the amount of trailer brake you are using. That is what the sway control uses to straighten up or reduce the sway. For a 73-7500 lb trailer about 4-5 is all you need to set the trailer brake to. My 13 has the sway control and it does the same thing if the trailer brake is set too high.

Sent from iPhone

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I've been toying around with the idea of a truck and that's what the wife wants me to get next. I'm looking hard at the f150's but also at the Jeep Grand's. It would only be a DD and not get much hauling/real truck duty. I would only get one of the two EB engines. How well do these trucks do for DD duty mileage wise? Cam if you hang onto that Platinum for a year or so I may be interested in your sloppy 2nds.

REDS197

Reaction score
I have a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost. I drove a 2.7 Ecoboost today. That thing is a rocket compared to my 3.5. I tow 7200 lbs so I passed because the tow rating is so close on the 2.7 or I would buy it. Awesome motor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back