failed emissions in IL

Teege24

forum member
Reaction score
I will trying this out this summer after i hopefully do cams then dyno. I also have mac Lts + O/R H, but my rear 02 are currently off. Mine is an 08 so I can't remember when ill get called in for testing. It sucks cause if you don't pass emissions, you can't renew your plates. I would try this ASAP... let me know how it goes :thumb:.

I used to live in McHenry, I think i may have seen you once. Car sounded sick!
haha thanks bro! what part of Mchenry are you from? I'm either gonna try this little trick or just get some cats welded in..im gonna talk it over with my mechanic tommorw morning and see what he suggests

Teege24

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinkin bout just registering my car to a P.O box in a different town that doesn't have emissions...

08Bullitt_0067

forum member
Reaction score
haha thanks bro! what part of Mchenry are you from? I'm either gonna try this little trick or just get some cats welded in..im gonna talk it over with my mechanic tommorw morning and see what he suggests

i lived in lakemoor from 05-10, but grew up in johnsburg.

Who is your mechanic and/or tuner? Just curious as im still not sure who locally i am going to have tune my car.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I was unaware they actually had emissions testing without the use of a tail pipe sniffer. What are they using to measure what the car is emitting (CO2, NoX etc)?

In SE WI, emission tests are done via the OBD port as they are basically scanning for any codes ('96 and newer, every other year). No sniffer involved.

Teege24

forum member
Reaction score
i lived in lakemoor from 05-10, but grew up in johnsburg.

Who is your mechanic and/or tuner? Just curious as im still not sure who locally i am going to have tune my car.
Really? ive lived in johnsburg for like 14 or 15 years now lol

I bring my car to Performance Unlimited in Ringwood and right now i just use brenspeed email tunes

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Lot's of know it all's here with piss poor info. It varies by state. Some have only visual exam sites, others just use your OBDII

You will pass without Cats. It is all in the tune. My G/F's 07 GT has not Cats, S/C, etc. Her car failed the first time. All four areas were not ready. You only need to pass 2 in IL. I called Kurgan, he retuned the car, and she passed emissions WITHOUT CATALYTIC CONVERTERS.

Give Kurgan a call, and he will help you.

Last edited:

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
You can, however, fail emissions if you get a visual test. The testing facility I used did not have the visual exam.

zxmarekxz

Reaction score
You can, however, fail emissions if you get a visual test. The testing facility I used did not have the visual exam.

Didn't kurgan move out of state? I get your point though, it's doable... I know "someone" who needs to pass by May and has no cats and a blower.....

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, Kurgan moved to GA but will be doing some periodic local tuning sessions.

08Bullitt_0067

forum member
Reaction score
Really? ive lived in johnsburg for like 14 or 15 years now lol

I bring my car to Performance Unlimited in Ringwood and right now i just use brenspeed email tunes
cool, i moved out of there in 2000 when i went off to college.

I think performance unlimited does pretty good work, they did the rear end in my truck and no issues. I agree with the others, i would go with one of our local tuners whether it be kurgan/dynotuneMP/sutton, etc. If i would do it over again, i would have gotten tuned locally as opposed to email tunes.

keep me posted on what you end up doing and what works!

Teege24

forum member
Reaction score
Contacted Kurgan last Thursday, he said he might be able to help me out but I have to purchase a new tune from him...anyone know how much his tunes cost? he hasn't responded to any emails since Thursday..gonna bring my car into the shop tommorw and see what they can do for me if they cant do anything just gotta wait on Kurgan...

Bestangyet 07

forum member
Reaction score
My supercharger tune from Brenspeed had my rear O2 sensors turned off. I failed because the "O2 system not ready" came up. I called Brenspeed and they had me an e-mail tune in 24 hours to turn them on again. Give them a call before spending money on a new tune. I still had my cats on the car though. OBD2 tests just check to see if the systems are functioning by computer response. Sensors off in tune = FAIL.

Teege24

forum member
Reaction score
My supercharger tune from Brenspeed had my rear O2 sensors turned off. I failed because the "O2 system not ready" came up. I called Brenspeed and they had me an e-mail tune in 24 hours to turn them on again. Give them a call before spending money on a new tune. I still had my cats on the car though. OBD2 tests just check to see if the systems are functioning by computer response. Sensors off in tune = FAIL.
yea bro i already talked to them they cant do anything for me without cats

Bestangyet 07

forum member
Reaction score
This is the main reason I have not gone with the o/r pipe. I figure the small performance increase and improved sound are not worth the trade off of swapping back and forth to pass the tests. It is only required every other year here in Utah, but what a pain. If I had a lift that would be an entirely different story though.

Teege24

forum member
Reaction score
This is the main reason I have not gone with the o/r pipe. I figure the small performance increase and improved sound are not worth the trade off of swapping back and forth to pass the tests. It is only required every other year here in Utah, but what a pain. If I had a lift that would be an entirely different story though.
yeaa its the same for us here...i dont kno what i was thinking...just wanted it to be really loud lol and didnt really think about 2 years down the road having to change it back:asshat:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back