First start up, aweful noise

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So friend is convincing me towards stroker.

Scat forged crank, JE -14.3CC pistons, and manley rods

Should give mid 9's compression

And like i said at this point im losing desire to re-assemble it just to check this or that and at the point I'd rather pull it and find whats doing it later, lol

I'm a big fan of the stock crank. I'm also a fan of a square or over square motor. I've run a stock crank up to 699rhwp. Others on this board have or are running more. It's real strong (the stock crank) and since you are forced induction anyway there isn't a whole lot to be gained imo.

I'm in the minority on this though.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
So my list of stuff to buy is the obvious stuff, what about not so obvious one may skim over and would come up last minute or so while assembling?
Obvious is bearings for mains/rods, rings, front/rear seals, main tty bolts, Replace timing chains, guides, tensioners, have newer phasers so will keep them. Head bolts + gaskets

With forged crank comes 8 bolt flywheel so might as well go new clutch, not 100% on which one, will need to research that..hmm

Anything else on a list of building an engine from scratch you know of I may not be thinking of?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Ok back to regular stock crank cause $$$$$$$$$ in strokers, lol

Looking at part numbers MAN-14042R-8, JE-314599, JE-JG3208-3571-0

Manley H beam rods with ARP-2000 bolts, JE pistons, 3.572 bore since it needs slight overbore to be sure its straight, and the JE ring set.

Looking at upgrading the pin from the .150 to a thicker wall. And king HP bearings for rods/mains due to friends recommendation.

Just keep the stock valvetrain until time dictates replacing springs etc

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yo everyone, checkout my long rod

0qZZeA2.jpg

I also got a clutch and piston

wbkwEAel.jpg

UoVDy7el.jpg

Final bits are arriving, taking my block and rotating assembly in tomorrow to be bored/balanced and assembled, then ill do the heads, timing and finishing the last things off.

soo looking forward to it :D

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll need 7 more of those rods and 7 more of those piston things

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Psh. I'm supercharged. 8 pistons are overkill

:)
Hah

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If that's the case, I have a couple sets of 3 and 4 each you can buy from me on the cheap.:whistle1:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Hah, na I got plenty
Looking forward to the build

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Parts pron! Lookin forward to the updates. I love build threads. Live vicariously thru you guys.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
So I got a call Friday from my shop. One of my Manley rods has a bolt basically seized inside the rod, apparently breaking it free it screeched. Tried oiling it and wiggling back and forth, got about 1.5 turns before it just stopped.

Got ahold of my vendor to call Manley and work on getting a replacement sent out.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Went by the shop yesterday to check it out.

the shortblock is complete :D

cant pickup till monday or so, been raining a lot, and leaving town now for the weekend.

Had to return one of the manley rods due to bolt being seized up inside the rod, but was replaced free of charge so cant complain.

Main and rod clearances were recorded as .002, and PTB is right around .004

Still need to pull the stock motor out, but im closer, removed my SC and manifold, disconnected wiring etc. and bought nearly 4ft of extension to reach the top bolts from behind with the tranny lowered. I tried with a wrench the other day but just kept slipping and couldnt get a good grip to remove them.

Its coming together slowly....so anxious to drive it again

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I found the cause of the noise :D

UcvmYIg.jpg

scooped those out of the pan, hadnt dropped down to the very bottom was still caught on that upper ring thing.

m7uo0VN.jpg

Z1UOBOu.jpg

checkout dat flex.....mmmmm

HMRIlwX.jpg

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Well I had a coolant leak in the manifold
I'd say it was probably coolant that got thrown into it when startup and just enough to bend it but not shatter completely

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
im not a machinist, but i think itll clear up with an overbore. will take it to the machine shop some time after i get my new block installed and running.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I cannot get the fucking engine to mate to the transmission, its got about an inch left and it wont go in the pilot bearing.

Tried rocking it left/right, tipping it forward/backward, lifting/lowering the engine, transmission, and tilting the tranny more by loosening the rear mount for it.

any tips for this pain in the ass?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back