First trip to the track with the 2014

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Average of 12.80s with Mike's tune. Have not datalogged yet though.

DA was 525 this weekend versus 1323 last weekend.

Pretty good DA.

You are leaving at idle right? How was prep? Times are off a few tenths, you should be running mid 12's easy. You need to data log ASAP.

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
My 2012 auto went 12.84 @ 111 bone stock with the DA at 2000......

Good time and trap for stock. I have seen a little difference in base vs loaded times. As there can be an easy 100-150 pound difference which equates to .1 to .15 in the 1/4 mile. My car back when it was stock ran 13.0 @ 109 in 1000' DA. But my car is fully loaded, has a jack and spare, and a 6' 2" 250+ pound driver.

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Average of 12.80s with Mike's tune. Have not datalogged yet though.

DA was 525 this weekend versus 1323 last weekend.

You need to data log it! Mike can't tell what's going on without logs.

Was the mph similar too?

pibirdman

forum member
Reaction score
Prep was very good.

Leaving around 1800 which lowered my 60 ft, by a few thousandths and finally got a 1.999 60 ft.

MPH was high 109s almost 110.

Did not have spare in car but did have jack. I think car was 3900 with me in it. I am a good 280 of that weight.

Will be datalogging tonight.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Leaving around 1800 which lowered my 60 ft, by a few thousandths and finally got a 1.999 60 ft.
You have the stock converter. Leave at idle where it flashes best. Leaving at 1800 not only can give you traction issues, but will just slow you down on the big end. With just a tune and axle back I was pulling off LOW 1.9x 60's leaving at idle on street tires.

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Do you slam it down when taking off? I did it last week and it just spun.
Yup. I lower the pressure to about 25, do a small burnout, stage and put my left foot on the brake and leave my right foot by the throttle. On the last yellow I hit it. I barely get a squeal out of the tires. My local track has very good prep too. Mike himself if I recall got 12.10's out of his car on stock 245 all season Pirellis before he went to a race set-up. On the street, I spin like a mofo, but on the track I hook good. If you do the same as I just said and spin, your track prep isn't as good as you think it is.

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
You have the stock converter. Leave at idle where it flashes best. Leaving at 1800 not only can give you traction issues, but will just slow you down on the big end. With just a tune and axle back I was pulling off LOW 1.9x 60's leaving at idle on street tires.

I cut the best 60' by stalling it as well. I've done back to back runs with slamming off idle and it ALWAYS 60's worse. Maybe my car is different. It will do 1.82-1.85 stalling to 1300-1500 and when I just punch off idle its usually 1.9x.

Experiment with both and see what works best for you.

I still think those 26" tires are causing you to lose a tenth or more and dropping the mph. Is it shifting into 4th right before the end?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I cut the best 60' by stalling it as well. I've done back to back runs with slamming off idle and it ALWAYS 60's worse. Maybe my car is different. It will do 1.82-1.85 stalling to 1300-1500 and when I just punch off idle its usually 1.9x.

Experiment with both and see what works best for you.

I still think those 26" tires are killing you. Is it shifting into 4th right before the end?
That's odd. I must know 10 auto 5.0 guys and we ALL get better runs by leaving at idle. Sometimes I will 60' better leaving at 1000, BUT when I looked at my slips it hurt me in the big end. All of my better ET's are at idle. This was discussed on here in length a while back and the consensus for the best OVERALL pass with the stock converter was leaving at idle. But yes, some cars can react differently.

As for the 26" tire comment, I had forgot he was running those short tires.
1-That could cause a 3-4 shift, but with a tune that should be at like 125 mph, so I doubt it.
2-Does Mike know you run this shorter tire? As this will effect the shifts, etc for sure.
3-With a stock converter and 3:15's you shouldn't even need a tire with just basic mods.

pibirdman

forum member
Reaction score
I cross the traps in 3rd. I made sure to notice that after reading the tire comments earlier. When I send him the datalogs, I will tell him the tire size we run at the track. Maybe next time at the track I will try it with Pirellis a few runs.

Ryan, what tires and size are you running?

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
That's odd. I must know 10 auto 5.0 guys and we ALL get better runs by leaving at idle. Sometimes I will 60' better leaving at 1000, BUT when I looked at my slips it hurt me in the big end. All of my better ET's are at idle. This was discussed on here in length a while back and the consensus for the best OVERALL pass with the stock converter was leaving at idle. But yes, some cars can react differently.

As for the 26" tire comment, I had forgot he was running those short tires.
1-That could cause a 3-4 shift, but with a tune that should be at like 125 mph, so I doubt it.
2-Does Mike know you run this shorter tire? As this will effect the shifts, etc for sure.
3-With a stock converter and 3:15's you shouldn't even need a tire with just basic mods.

I've talked to people who have had success with both. Try both ways and see what works best for your setup, IMO. Stalling some(usually 1400-1500ish) works better for me.

Why would stalling the car hurt it on the big end?

I cross the traps in 3rd. I made sure to notice that after reading the tire comments earlier. When I send him the datalogs, I will tell him the tire size we run at the track. Maybe next time at the track I will try it with Pirellis a few runs.

Ryan, what tires and size are you running?

As long as you are crossing in 3rd, the tire isn't hurting you. I thought the 26" might put you in 4th.

The Pirellis hooked off the line sometimes for me but I always had traction problems on the 1-2 shift on them.(sometimes having to get out of it because it went sideways)

I'm running 26" Nitto 555Rs but I have 3.55 gears(mistake and slowed the car down) so I'm going into 4th no matter what before the line, trying to keep the rpms up with a shorter tire.

Did you happen to notice what rpm it was shifting at?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Why would stalling the car hurt it on the big end?
I noticed whenever I would stall my car, even if my 60' was better, my 1/8 mile was slower. Who knows...like you said, some cars work better one way, some don't. For me, idle gives me the best times.

The Pirellis hooked off the line sometimes for me but I always had traction problems on the 1-2 shift on them.(sometimes having to get out of it because it went sideways)

So far I have had great luck with my Pirellis. I did put wider 275's on the rear, but I never had traction issues. Even on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I just get a hard shift, with an occasional chirp. I've never gotten sideways (on the street, well that is a different story). But my track Orlando Speed World, is known to usually have very, very good prep and they prep all the way out to the 1/8 mile usually which keeps the 1-2 shift from getting to hairy...

Did you happen to notice what rpm it was shifting at?
I know you are talking to him, but mine seems to shift at around 7000-7200 depending on gear at WOT.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Not totally sure on the shifting, but i think its at 7K. I will look tonight when i datalog.
That is about right. Keep us posted on what Mike says about your logs and such. I mean with your mods, in that good DA you should be running at least 12.50's or so...

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
I just datalogged and sent it to Mike. It shifts at 7092 wot in 3rd.

That's right where it should be. Mike will find anything tune related. What are your plans for the car? Offroad X is an ezy swap and I picked up .1 and a solid mph.

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
That's right where it should be. Mike will find anything tune related. What are your plans for the car? Offroad X is an ezy swap and I picked up .1 and a solid mph.

That's it? Same DA?

Mike recommended an off road H like he runs. He basically guaranteed me at least 2 tenths in similar air, and he said 3 tenths or maybe 4 tenths is totally possible. I wouldn't be happy with just 1 tenth. Pretty sure he picked up like 4 tenths when he ditched his cats and retuned.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
That's odd. I must know 10 auto 5.0 guys and we ALL get better runs by leaving at idle. This was discussed on here in length a while back and the consensus for the best OVERALL pass with the stock converter was leaving at idle. But yes, some cars can react differently.

You can add my car to the list that reacts "differently" than yours. When I had the stock converter, my '14 GT auto ran its best ET's (and 60's) by loading the suspension against the brakes with revs over 1500 rpm's. Now with a big Circle-D converter, I still find my best runs are those holding about 2000 rpm's against the brakes.

Converter builders have told me that leaving off idle and mashing the pedal to maximize the STR (static torque ratio) is their recommendation for quicker ET's, but trying that only slows down my 60's and ET's. Same was true in my '07 GT AT that was Vortech supercharged and had a big converter. I've made dozens and dozens of passes in both cars working on the better method for my cars. As always, "your mileage may vary." I encourage everybody to find out what their own car likes best instead of just accepting what others think.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back