Found a water leak in the trunk, thought I'd share some pics

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as tech or not, so I put it here.

I found a couple threads on this using search, but didn't run over too many conclusive ones except leaks from:

• Tail light bolts that need re-sealed
  • 3rd brake light
  • Spoiler mounting holes/spoiler delete holes

Well, I can add a new one, with pics:
  • Body seams where the tail panel joins with the rear quarters

I actually have two leaks, one on the driver's side the other in the same spot on the passenger side:

IMG_20130312_220626.jpg

IMG_20130312_220441.jpg

And in case you doubt that the brown mark is water runoff, this shows it pretty obviously

IMG_20130312_220554.jpg

And in case you still doubt it, I checked it again today after we had some fresh rain and it was definitely a trail of water coming from there. What concerns me is its not just brown, but reddish-brown. i.e. rust-colored. So much for the e-coat sealant they dipped the car in at the factory. (guess it couldn't make it all the way into those cracks)

BTW, I'm the only owner of this '06 and its never been in an accident so its not any body shop's fault.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue. It is partly due to the trunk hinges flexing the area near the seam. Once the tail lights are removed, the seam can be fixed with 2 part seam sealer and painted with a brush after it dries. Make sure you seal the tail lamp nuts with strip caulk when reinstalled

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Funny you found this yesterday. I have been having some moisture issues on frosty morning's. Every time my windshield and back glass would ice over I would have ice on the inside also. Well you can only guess where I have a bad leak from...

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Mine seems to come through the pinch weld area along the top driver's side of my trunk. Not a big deal now that my car is in a garage and mainly raced but it was a nuisance when it was outside and daily driven.

ski

forum member
Reaction score
I can add another trunk leak source.

There was condensation on the inside of my 05 GT's rear window on a cool morning. Checked the trunk, and found water in the spare tire compartment. Lifted the trunk fabric liner, and found a wet path leading back to a water filled trough at the bottom of the quarter panel behind the hard fabric barrier. Dirt in the bottom of the trough told me the water was entering from the driver's rear tire whenever the car was driven on wet roads. Dried out the spare tire compartment and the quarter panel trough, jacked up the car, removed the tire, and sprayed water inside the wheel well with a hose. Checked the trough. Nothing. Bone dry.
Sprayed the area behind the wheel well, and this time water collected in the quarter panel trough. Found a bad seal where the gas filler tube passes thru the quarter panel. Re-sealed it, and have not had any leakage into the trough, or the spare tire compartment since then. That was 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
That's a lot like some late 60's early 70's factory leaks I've had. Hard to believe this kind of stuff is still a problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back