Smoke coming from EGR valve during smoke test

HawkinsEnergy

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here.

We just got a really nice 2008 mustang. It's in great shape, only 67k on it. I'll post up some pics after we detail it, so far we're just going down the list and catching it up on maintenance.

Unfortunately about a week after we bought it the check engine light came on. I scanned it and it came up as P0171 and P0174. In addition, both long term fuel trims are fixed at 25. From the research I've done so far, my guess is that it's got a vacuum leak. I cleaned the MAF but no luck, code still came back.

Visual inspection of all the vacuum lines didn't yield anything, so I used a smoke tester and pumped it full of smoke via one of the vacuum lines going into the intake manifold. After a little while smoke started pouring out from the area around the EGR. Upon closer inspection, it's coming from a small hole underneath the diaphragm casing, on the passenger side. I can't really find any info on this small hole; it is a bleed or vent hole? If so, should smoke be coming out of it? Does it close when the engine is turned on?

Any light shed on the matter would be much appreciated. Check engine lights can be tricky little jerks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back