Fuel Fill Up

snuddenstang

Reaction score
Is the issue with the gas pump for all the 2005-2009 Mustangs? I have a 2007 that kept stopping the other day while filling up.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
99% of this issue is caused by owners overfilling the tank. When the pump shuts off HANG UP THE HOSE!!! Do NOT 'round up' with an extra quarter gallon trying to see how much you can squeeze into the tank. The extra splashes into the vent system and saturates the carbon filter preventing it from venting properly. This ends up causing issues the next time you fill up.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
99% of this issue is caused by owners overfilling the tank. When the pump shuts off HANG UP THE HOSE!!! Do NOT 'round up' with an extra quarter gallon trying to see how much you can squeeze into the tank. The extra splashes into the vent system and saturates the carbon filter preventing it from venting properly. This ends up causing issues the next time you fill up.

This explains why I had the issue at one point and it just kinda went away and never happened again.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
What's also hilarious is that 99% of people that keep squeezing more fuel into the tank after the pump shuts off will deny doing it. You can stand there and watch them do it and they will still deny that they are doing it. "Oh, that was just a little bit. That wasn't enough to mess anything up." But sure as shit they always have issues filling up.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I used to do it to make sure it was actually full. On the mustang its really fast to shut off again so it adds very little, so I have gotten out of the habit.

Raeko

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guilty as charged as well. I always wondered why I have had these difficulties in the past as well

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting...have been filling past fill point on my 1999 Ranger and 2004 Explorer since brand new a (both now have over 100K miles) nd never had an issue with anything.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Interesting...have been filling past fill point on my 1999 Ranger and 2004 Explorer since brand new a (both now have over 100K miles) nd never had an issue with anything.

Those aren't Mustangs^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:roflmao:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Topping off is more of an issue with the pumps that suck the vapor in while pumping. They will suck in the extra gas and dump it out when the next person puts gas in. This usually results in gas on the car.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Had this problem yesterday with the GF's Shelby.
Fuel pump kept stopping.
Turned the nozzle upside down and it fueled up fine.
Earlier in the day she filled it up without issues, and she doesn't top off the tank.
Never had issues before.
The pump had that large round rubber flap around the nozzle, the one earlier in the day didn't.
Why would turning the nozzle upside down make the problem go away?
Did that let the nozzle vent better by making that rubber flap not make a good seal?

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I was starting to have this issue last year. I tore out my evap system and dried it all out blew all the lines with air. It worked fine for a short while then the issue came back. I switched to e85 and it's never came back.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
06's and up weren't as bad as in the 05's. No matter if you put in just a half a tank or filled it it would keep shutting off. That is until you turned the nozzle upside down and it would fill up just fine. Combine that with the fuel level sensor issues in the 05-06 cars and you have all kinds of fun shit you get to fix in the early models.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
How strange, mine did this for the first time this weekend when I was filling her up for the winter parked in my garage. Stupid Stang.. got a little over half and the gas pump kept stopping, fuel gauge a little over half. Went home took out the 5 gallon jug of 93 oct mixed in some Sta-Bil and finished fueling. Will deal with it when the white stuff goes away.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
TSB IS WORTHLESS!!! I have a revised tank and mine still does this sporadically. I NEVER fill my tank full for reasons I won't go into but point being, it is just an air lock and if flipping the handle upside down doesn't work for you (it never does for me) then the only method I've found when this happens, stand on the driver's door jam, rock the car violently for about 10 seconds to force the gas to the other side and releasing the air pocket and viola !! Car will take as much gas as you want until it is full. It isn't attractive but it works.

Last edited:

Towelie

forum member
Reaction score
My car has this problem pretty bad and I know for a fact it was caused by topping off. It's pretty shitty when you live in a state where it's illegal to pump your own gas, and the pimple faced goth kid pumping the gas for you tops it off even when you specifically told him not to.

Does anybody know a fix that doesn't involve replacing the whole tank?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back