Fuel pressure help

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
So my car felt a bit funny this morning on my way to work. With a bit of acceleration I noticed I was going pretty lean. Driving normal is ok for a/f but when I checked my interceptor gauge I saw the fuel pump DC was at 49 which I believe is 100%? The pressure was dipping down into the mid 20's and when I would let off it would very slowly climb back up to the 30's. With the car off and key forward it would also climb very slowly (think .1-.2 per Second) and I shut it back off after it got to about 45 psi. Haven't had the chance to look at anything yet but any clues where to start? It's a walbro 405 pump I believe.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
So my car felt a bit funny this morning on my way to work. With a bit of acceleration I noticed I was going pretty lean. Driving normal is ok for a/f but when I checked my interceptor gauge I saw the fuel pump DC was at 49 which I believe is 100%? The pressure was dipping down into the mid 20's and when I would let off it would very slowly climb back up to the 30's. With the car off and key forward it would also climb very slowly (think .1-.2 per Second) and I shut it back off after it got to about 45 psi. Haven't had the chance to look at anything yet but any clues where to start? It's a walbro 405 pump I believe.

49 on the aeroforce = 98% FPDC. I had the same problem on my 2010 with M90 blower. FPDC was 94-96%...so in went the 10 ga wire mod. No change to FPDC, it got worse and climbed to 98%. Then one day it gagged every time I tried to get into boost..and fuel rail pressure dropped like a rock..like down to 5-10 psi.(normal rail pressure is 40 psi from idle to redline. With eng off, and key in on position, rail pressure is 52 psi.)

The problem was the...'strainer /pre-filter /sock' on the oem ford pump. Pump was removed and pre-filter was cleaned out with compressed air and brake clean. It was severely clogged from the crap floating at the bottom of the tank. Once cleaned out and re-installed, zero problems. FPDC dropped down to 78-80% with blower on @ 6 krpm. And 36% at idle. Mine was the 7th known case of clogged strainer/pre-filter in town. Fuel filter was changed on spec, after the fact, but nothing changed, it was nothing to do with the oem fuel filter.

Dunno if the walbro 405 pump uses a pre-filter or not. If it does, it may be your problem. It could also be the pump itself.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Yeah, just sitting here thinking about it a clog would make sense. I'll have to pull it apart and check it when I get home and will probably get a fuel filter while I'm at it...

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
We used brass ballpeen hammer + brass drift punch to get the locking collar off, same deal to put it back on. ( make sure all the tabs are slid under their mating tabs). Brass used, so no sparks. We also tied string to the assy, so stuff would not fall back into the tank. It's a trick getting the pump assy out, since it's a tight fit.

Shine a light into the tank, and u will see the crap floating around at the bottom of the tank on driver's side. In an ideal world, you would do this with a 1/4 tank of gas....and suck out some of that crap that's floating around the bottom of the tank. We didn't, just cleaned the sock filter. My sock filter had 3 x rubber bumper's on the base of the sock..which sits on the very bottom of the tank. So the sock filter is sitting just above the bottom of the metal tank.

The back seat comes out in 10 secs flat. Mine had pull tabs dead center, between ur legs. We removed the entire back seat via the pass side, with pass side seat slid forward as much as possible, and back seat folded towards windshield, and pass headrest fully nested.

Ok, when you get pump + sock re-installed, and locking ring back on, you have to prime the pump. Procedure is to put key to 'on' position ( eng off)..for a few secs. You will hear the pump running+ purging air. Shut key of for 2 secs, then back to 'on' position again. You will hear the pump once more. Do that 2-6 times, till you no longer hear the pump noise. At that point the pump is primed, and you can just fire the eng up.

In 'on' position (eng off), let the aeroforce gauges boot up. ( have em pre set to read both fuel rail pressure + also FPDC (fuel pump duty cycle). Once booted up, you will see that the fuel rail pressure is aprx 50-53 psi. Turn eng on, and pressure will drop down to it's normal 40 psi. Take it out for a rip, and you will see that pressure stays put at 40 psi....and FPDC will be a lot lower.

Aeroforce gauges ( anything plugged into OBD port) will indicate exactly 1/2 of real FPDC. IE: '40' = 80%. My aeroforce reads '18' at 750 rpm idle...and ...'39-40' at 6.1 k rpm. 36-80% fpdc.

Last edited:

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Well there's your problem

20150905_113607_zps6p00kisj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Ahh inside the tank line busted?
Well I can see how that would maybe cause issues

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back