Gasket sealer for methanol injection plate?

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
I've been searching the forums, but haven't found the info I need. I have emailed BBR, but I wanted to get more opinions from the forum. I haven't heard back yet.

I'm using a BBR methanol injection plate under my KB 2.6L. It's been installed for a long time, but hasn't been hooked up to the meth yet.

I used Permatex anaerobic gasket maker as a sealant between the plate and the manifold. My tuner recommended this because it never hardens, and it makes it easier to remove the blower from the manifold (as opposed to gasket sealer, which makes it very difficult).

I was told by a reputable forum member that I should not use the anaerobic sealer with meth, as his own experience was that the meth degraded the sealer to the point where it caused a vacuum leak.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for something that will work better? I'm about to take the blower off to work on some stuff.

Thanks!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You could make a gasket the old fashioned way with gasket material and a knife. Probably the best thing would be rtv but it will glue your blower to the manifold. You could coat the sealing surfaces with mold release or wax prior to applying rtv. That should allow for an easy separation down the road.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
BlueDevil,

If $36/sheet (12" x 12" x 1/16" thick) is not too off-putting, here's a link (Grainger.com):

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRA.../rp/s/is/image/Grainger/16T698_AS01?$smthumb$

The problem with Teflon (PTFE) is that it will creep and it is not re-usable after one or two times. PTFE sheet is a little pricey if you take that nitrous plate off frequently.

If you want to dive into the gasket nerd pool, you can search the Garlock site for methanol and find gasket material(s) that will work.

HTH,

Chris

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with good ole black rtv sealant, oil and fuel resistant. Used it on oil pans, intake manifolds, throttle bodies etc never had any issues.

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
You could make a gasket the old fashioned way with gasket material and a knife. Probably the best thing would be rtv but it will glue your blower to the manifold. You could coat the sealing surfaces with mold release or wax prior to applying rtv. That should allow for an easy separation down the road.

True, and I've considered it. Don't hear about too many builders busting out the ol' Exacto knife, but it's an option. Good idea with the wax/release.

BlueDevil,

If $36/sheet (12" x 12" x 1/16" thick) is not too off-putting, here's a link (Grainger.com):

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRA.../rp/s/is/image/Grainger/16T698_AS01?$smthumb$

The problem with Teflon (PTFE) is that it will creep and it is not re-usable after one or two times. PTFE sheet is a little pricey if you take that nitrous plate off frequently.

If you want to dive into the gasket nerd pool, you can search the Garlock site for methanol and find gasket material(s) that will work.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks-I'll definitely look into that. GRAINGER ftw.

What's wrong with good ole black rtv sealant, oil and fuel resistant. Used it on oil pans, intake manifolds, throttle bodies etc never had any issues.

Love black rtv. Works great, sealant-wise, but it also makes it difficult to remove the blower from the manifold. I used the anaerobic just for that reason-to make it easier to remove if needed without bending the flange. My real concern is how it reacts to the methanol over time.

Thanks all for weighing in.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back