Gen 1 coyote build

eeston

Reaction score
So I've fallen Into a little bit of money recently. I have about 25k to spend on my 2006 s197. Curious to know what other people would do with 25k to get the most out of their s197. Planning to do maybe a gen 1 coyote swap with a twin turbo setup. Not extremely interested in turning it into a dedicated track car. Just mainly for a road car that can push around 700hp. Let me know some ideas, or some things to help me out with a gen 1 twin turbo set up. Thanks!

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I guess this would depend on how you want to drive the car and how reliable you want it to be.

I would for sure start with a gen 1 coyote but pushing 700 wheel is going to be close to limits on the stock gen 1 rods.

There are things you’ll want to do to the engine to make sure it lives a happy life. But, gen 1 engines seem to swap in to these cars very easily and everything still functions like stock.

After installing a bunch of centrifugal superchargers and working on a bunch of turbo systems, I am a big fan of a centrifugal supercharger for a street driven car. Turbos can come with a lot of problems.

I think doing an engine swap and trying to boost it, you’re going to run out of budget very quick. If you’re resourceful and find deals, you can make it happen.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
In less you are just in LOVE with your current car, and a ton of work/money that you will NEVER get back (so you will
have to keep it forever or take a huge hit upon sale, if/ever), I would just sell it and pick up something like this.

I trapped 130 with a same SC, much better tune, and X-pipe (no other power mods), so you can use sale of your current car
for some upgrades to get closer to your HP goal.

And that is BAT, so if you search private owners, could probably do even better on price and/or "comfort" factor
on a local car you can get straight from first owner (and see/drive it/etc).......

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The questions you should be asking yourself are:

1. Is it worth spending $25k on a $10k car?
2. Do you really need 700hp (you didn't specify if that's at the crank or at the rear wheels) on a road car?

Keep in mind that if you DO want 700hp, you'll need to upgrade a boatload of other mechanical components such as the transmission (TR6060 or T56 Magnum XL), clutch (McLeod RST or RXT with billet steel flywheel), aluminum driveshaft, Moser axle shafts, suspension, chassis stiffening, GT500 brakes, cooling system, and fuel system.
Therefore I suggest you build the rest of the car first, see how much you have left out of your $25k, and spend that on the engine plus dyno tune.
By now you'll realise there won't be sufficient funds to do a Coyote swap, build the engine, and boost it. It would be more sensible to build your existing 3V with forged rods/pistons (the stock crank is fine for 700hp crank or rear wheel), refurbish the camshaft drive system and valvetrain with new cam followers/lash adjusters/upgraded valve springs/valve stem oil seals, upgrade the oiling system with a '13-'14 GT500 pump fitted with Boundary billet gears, GT500 oil pump pick up tube, GT500 windage tray, and GT500 8.5qt. oil pan. These measures will make the engine near bombproof.
Now to boosting the engine. You could keep the stock camshafts, stock intake manifold (with CMCV delete and a 62mm throttle body), stock exhaust manifolds (though LT headers better), and add an intercooled Paxton Novi 2200SL supercharger kit. I'd say you'll need something like 15psi of boost to get near 700 crank HP (610ish rwhp) or about 19psi to get near 700rwhp.
Keep in mind that you wouldn't recoup much of the $25k you want to spend on upgrades should you ever need to sell the car. Plenty of food for thought there.

eeston

Reaction score
Yeah I haven't done a TON with cars I've only ever swapped a couple motors. I pretty much know nothing about the boost or exactly how it works or what's best for the car. I know I want to keep my 06 look. I'm just having trouble with going what would be the best idea. I want to do this all myself and make a build series for it. I could do all forged internals or just get a coyote... superchargers, turbos, idk. I just bought the car and it has like 140,000 miles. Everything on it was from the previous owner. It's literally completely stock. I'll post pictures. I just want it to sort of be a show car, but also have some good hp. The look of the car will come after the power. I'm just an organized person that wants every idea possible and the cost. I can then go through and pick what I would like. I'm not planning on selling it either. I can push it to 30k or 35k as well but I'm really trying to keep it at 25k. I want to basically redo everything. So as I go I can learn everything about the car. Suspension, trans, differential, motor... so on. I'm only 20 years old. I don't want this to be a "teenager" car.

20231116_090431.jpg

20230831_122156.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back