Great Detailing "where to start" Video for Beginners

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
First of all I like Chemical Guys products and this video can really help those in the dark about exactly how to approach and correct their specific vehicle needs and match them up with CG products. Obviously this guy is a killer salesman for CG but he knows his stuff. I have yet to to try their polishes and compounds v32-38 but I have personal experience with Blacklight, V7 and Black wax.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. My car is in need of a major detail. I think I'm going to have a shop do it the first time but want to be able to keep it in shape since I have no garage.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I got the same email this morning and watched the video. Wrote down some notes and hopefully I'll really get serious about a detailing job like this since my car really needs it. Going to make a shopping list of stuff and place an order in April to get the car ready for it's first real detail job by summer time

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I watched the video in my email too. I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday, then I saw the video and added a glaze to my purchase. Can't wait until its warm enough and I can start making my car look good again.

XxBoostinxX

forum member
Reaction score
There is a lot of really good info in this video. A problem I seem to always have is knowing what exactly my paint needs at the time of detail. Whether it is compound, which level of polish, or just needs glazed and waxed.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Jay definitely pushes the CG line hard...my main issue with CG, even though I live their stuff....is that they have too many answers to the same questions regarding products. M105/M205 depending on the severity of your swirls and a good finishing polish are adequate for most applications.

XxBoostinxX

forum member
Reaction score
Jay definitely pushes the CG line hard...my main issue with CG, even though I live their stuff....is that they have too many answers to the same questions regarding products. M105/M205 depending on the severity of your swirls and a good finishing polish are adequate for most applications.

Yeah, that's how I feel. Some of the detailing companies are really making it more confusing than it should be with the various "levels" of compound and polish. M105 and M205 are my usual go to stuff, but I still haven't found a finishing polish that just "wows" me yet. I thought about trying some of the Menzerna polish. Is there anything you have used that you recommend?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I feel. Some of the detailing companies are really making it more confusing than it should be with the various "levels" of compound and polish. M105 and M205 are my usual go to stuff, but I still haven't found a finishing polish that just "wows" me yet. I thought about trying some of the Menzerna polish. Is there anything you have used that you recommend?

M105/205 are good for about 90% of the situations out there that can be corrected with a DA.

Menzerna PO85RD is an excellent "fine" polish.

This is wet sanding in 3 stages, M105, M205 and then PO85RD

Shelbyshow1.jpg

temporary-27.jpg

Same process on my 5.0

Redshow1.jpg

There is a lot of really good info in this video. A problem I seem to always have is knowing what exactly my paint needs at the time of detail. Whether it is compound, which level of polish, or just needs glazed and waxed.

You should start with your lesser aggressive pad/polish combo and see what results that yields first.

Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score

Menzerna SF4500 is absolutely the best finishing polish I've ever used. On black finishes like my Harley and my vert it's just stunning. Removes all micro marring from the compounding process leaving a nice liquid mirror finish.

XxBoostinxX

forum member
Reaction score

Thanks, for all the great info. I'm always looking at getting better at the entire process. I will definitely be trying out the lightest cut you suggested next time.
Menzerna SF4500 is absolutely the best finishing polish I've ever used. On black finishes like my Harley and my vert it's just stunning. Removes all micro marring from the compounding process leaving a nice liquid mirror finish.

Awesome, glad to know it's that impressive. I'll be ordering some shortly. :thumb2:

Just an FYI to everyone else reading that's interested, PO85RD and SF-4500 are the same level Menzerna polish. Just wanted to clear that up so no one is confused.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I just got some m101 and it is even better than m105! But I do agree that the meguiars line is plenty when it comes to polishes. There isnt much a mf pad and m101 cant do!

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
M105/205 are good for about 90% of the situations out there that can be corrected with a DA.

Menzerna PO85RD is an excellent "fine" polish.

This is wet sanding in 3 stages, M105, M205 and then PO85RD

Shelbyshow1.jpg

temporary-27.jpg

Same process on my 5.0

Redshow1.jpg

You should start with your lesser aggressive pad/polish combo and see what results that yields first.

I didnt know you can wetsand the factory clear? I really want to get rid of the BS Ford Orange peel on mine.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
I've got Menzerna SF-4500 and love it as well. Just about depleted my Poorboys compounds and ready to pick up some Meg's now.

You can wetsand but I'd practice first....if you can get some old body panels that are painted that's a good start. Watch the edges as that is where paint is the thinnest, and I'm sure Seer will have recommendations on a paint thickness gauge

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Car Pro has some Orange peel removal pads and Ive seen some good results with them. What do you think of those compared to actually wetsanding Seer?

And I dont wanna drop $600 on a paint gauge :/

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Car Pro has some Orange peel removal pads and Ive seen some good results with them. What do you think of those compared to actually wetsanding Seer?

And I dont wanna drop $600 on a paint gauge :/

They work "ok".

I do not recommend using them without a paint gauge as they can remove about .2-.3 mils per application. Trying to remove orange peel without a gauge is like doing engine work without a torque wrench.

Last edited:

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
They work "ok".

I do not recommend using them without a paint gauge as they can remove about .2-.3 mils per application. Trying to remove orange peel without a gauge is like doing engine work without a torque wrench.

Guess I will be waiting on that then haha

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
When I read Seers posts, they always seem to be in this guys voice in my head.

Back