What do you think of my detailing plan?

droptopstang

forum member
Reaction score
Decided to do some paint correction on my black paint and want some input from you guys on here if what I bought is a good combo. I have some pretty heavy oxidation on the hood and trunk from being in the florida sun, and also some swirling and scratching all over. This is my plan right now and would like some feedback:

Wash, mothers gold clay bar, wash again

meguairs ultimate compound done by hand

meguiars M6 mirror glaze

Those are the products I currently have and was planning to use. I liked the M6 because it is a dual purpose finishing polish to follow the ultimate compound with but also has a carnauba wax in it so I figured that would be a good final product to use?

Would the M6 mirror glaze be a good product to apply every other week or so to keep the wax on?

My goal is to eventually do the polish angel coating system on it, but for now I just want to correct the paint and have it look as good as possible before I do cosmic down the road.

Will I have any issues using those products now and doing the cosmic later on? Any insight from the guys that have done this before would be great, I am fairly new to the paint correction/detailing scene.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Without a machine you are not really correcting anything. You really need some kind of D/A machine to get any kind of correction. Hell the Meguairs D/A Drill attachment is better than nothing.

droptopstang

forum member
Reaction score
Without a machine you are not really correcting anything. You really need some kind of D/A machine to get any kind of correction. Hell the Meguairs D/A Drill attachment is better than nothing.

I was under the assumption that even doing something like this by hand will work pretty well, maybe not as well as a D/A but would still make a difference? If the consensus is that it wont be worth doing that by hand then I'll probably look into getting a D/A.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I recently got a D/A and I love it. It almost makes detailing fun rather than just a labor of love! LOL

Get a D/A if you are even remotely serious about doing some proper detailing.

28ONE

Reaction score
I was under the assumption that even doing something like this by hand will work pretty well, maybe not as well as a D/A but would still make a difference? If the consensus is that it wont be worth doing that by hand then I'll probably look into getting a D/A.

Its a night and day difference by hand vs DA

droptopstang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I am pretty set on getting a porter cable 7424 and these are my thoughts now. Since the bad oxidation is only on the hood and trunk I think I'll try the ultimate compound with a yellow pad for those areas, and then switch to meguiars ultimate polish with an orange pad to go over the hood and trunk and do the rest of the car with, and then use the M6 glaze with a green pad to finish it all off. Does that sound like a good plan?

28ONE

Reaction score
Ok, I am pretty set on getting a porter cable 7424 and these are my thoughts now. Since the bad oxidation is only on the hood and trunk I think I'll try the ultimate compound with a yellow pad for those areas, and then switch to meguiars ultimate polish with an orange pad to go over the hood and trunk and do the rest of the car with, and then use the M6 glaze with a green pad to finish it all off. Does that sound like a good plan?

Id get the Griots Garage 6 Polisher, lifetime warranty and it has more power than the PC

RideThePony14

Reaction score
Ive been using the porter cable 7424xp with megs microfiber cutting pads and chemical guys finishing pads with the megs 105/205 combo and getting great results. Like the other guys have said, you're not going to get much done by hand alone

droptopstang

forum member
Reaction score
Id get the Griots Garage 6 Polisher, lifetime warranty and it has more power than the PC

I didn't remember that one having a handle on it but I see now that it does, that was my main deciding factor between the two. Will probably go that route now, thanks for the input!

droptopstang

forum member
Reaction score
Ive been using the porter cable 7424xp with megs microfiber cutting pads and chemical guys finishing pads with the megs 105/205 combo and getting great results. Like the other guys have said, you're not going to get much done by hand alone

Thats good to hear. I think this will do the trick, I can't stand looking at my oxidized hood all the time.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
The 7424 is plenty enough power for a beginner. I use orange pads with HD Speed or HD's pure polish to finish. Never used Meguiars Ultimate, but I will swear by this combo for almost any paint correction:

HD Zero or Cut w/ yellow pad (if compounding necessary)
HD Adapt with orange pad
HD Speed or HD's pure polish with orange pad (sometimes green...test a spot)
Finish with a red pad and your choice of wax.

HD Speed does have a wax but it sucks for longevity

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
By the way, a glaze is pointless unless you're doing a car show or something. Most glazes will wash off with the next cleaning revealing imperfections you may have missed by not using a true polish and wax.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back