guys with tru-tracs come inside

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
I installed a Detroit tru trac , ford 8.8 girdle, bmr panhard bar & relocation bracket and bmr panhard bracelast night and upon test driving I felt mine shifting both ways on accel and decel. never driven on a locker but but does this sound normal? car has never done this prior to last night. It acts and sounds just like ive heard lockers do when turning corners at slow speeds. I hand lubed the bushings in the panhard prior to installing. lowers or upper arms never came loose during install. car has very extensive mods so the diff was replaced due to stock clutches and m/t slicks not playing well together at the track but on street wheels/tires never had problems and the other parts were to aid 5k launches. car is making 6** lbs torque, axle tubes welded, no lower relocation brackets, j&m upper, steeda billet lowers, tokico d specs set to 5 rounds down on rear still on 20's front and rear. I have searched and found no answer other than worn bushings, etc. I just don't know that a diff swap can cause a pronounced bushing failure so looking for experienced input.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
What kind of oil did you use in the diff? Double check all of your bolts. When you say shifting, do mean the back end is shifting left and right or you feel it engage and disengage when you shift gears? If you feel the rear end shifting I doubt its the Truetrac. Also I don't think the Truetrac is considered a locker. It has helical gears that do engage and disengage.

From the Eaton wesite:
Helical-style pinion gears
Limited-slip operation
Smooth and automatic engagement - no driver action needed
Parts are maintenance free meaning more time on the road
Validated performance and durability

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Non synthetic fluid for the Tru Trac. I felt a difference in mine when cornering, quite noticeable at first until I got used to it. But no shifting left and right from throttle transitions, that's not right at all.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Do you have a driveshaft? Didn't see one mentioned. The stock 2-piece is known to be clunky. Other than that I would say bushings. No a 3rd member swap is not going to wear bushings but if they were already worn, tightening up the drive train could make any slop more pronounced.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Think I found the problem. Sway bar end on passenger side is laying right on Lower shock mount. I have a one piece driveshaft and running royal purple in the diff. Will get it on the lift tonight, straighten it out and let you know but I'm pretty positive this is the issue. Dunno if there is a difference but mine is a Detroit

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Royal Purple gear lube is a synthetic, right? Wrong lube, you need a non synthetic mineral oil in there. I used Lucas but there's several good brands.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple gear lube is a synthetic, right? Wrong lube, you need a non synthetic mineral oil in there. I used Lucas but there's several good brands.

+1 RP is NG

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Think I found the problem. Sway bar end on passenger side is laying right on Lower shock mount. I have a one piece driveshaft and running royal purple in the diff. Will get it on the lift tonight, straighten it out and let you know but I'm pretty positive this is the issue. Dunno if there is a difference but mine is a Detroit

Hopefully that will take care of it.

No shit ? Maybe that's why it feels like its wheel hopping now.

Yes, that is why I asked what oil you're running.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Royal Purple is not only 100% synthetic, it also has friction modifier in it. The idea was folks would not have to buy friction modifier, it's included.

Plane jane dino oil is what's required.. like Lucas rear gear oil, etc. You couldn't have possibly put anything worse in there.

The tru-tracs won't heat up..with dino oil. They come in 2 x versions. Normal version is for oem 31 spline axles...and has 3 x helical pinion gears on each side. The heavy duty version has 4 x helical pinion gears per side, and a stronger box casing it all sits in. Heavy duty version requires 33 spline axles, like from Strange engineering or Moser. It won't function properly with RP in it. It relies on friction.
VMP sells both versions of the Tru-trac.

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lockers are very noisy and make lots of chatter going around corners. I'm not sure if they also require natural gear oil but I wouldn't be surprised.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I stand corrected, I have a locker not a trutrac. this one. sorry for the confusion, I thought they were one and the same.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-187c145a/overview/

I had something similar to what you described happen with my car when I had a locker. It felt like the suspension was broke. The car would veer to one side or another in and out of the throttle. It finally sheared all but one of the bolts off of the ring gear so it got taken apart for a rebuild. Upon inspection found out some of the springs were broken which controlled the unit.

So if your car starts to act like something is going goofy with the rear end, just keep that mind.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
well the diff has loosened with some driving and I was told the locker will track a little until it loosens but changing to non synthetic oil made the most difference. now it feels like a winner. thanks all

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They do break in a bit. My locker is much more tolerable now than when it was new.

Back