H or X Pipe Replacement

KryptonKnight

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a Pypes cut and clamp x pipe for my 06 GT. I got to thinking instead of cutting the OE pipe to install it, why not just have two pipes custom made and eliminate any connection of the two exhaust pipes all together. IS there any advantage to having the H or X over no connection at all?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
My Bullitt has a hole in the crossover about the size of a pencil or pen, essentially true dual. Runs and sounds great. Power was more than the GT's of the era, of course aided by tune and CAI.

Now I run a supercharger. If I do anything more to the exhaust (long tube headers,) I don't plan on using a cross over.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a Pypes cut and clamp x pipe for my 06 GT. I got to thinking instead of cutting the OE pipe to install it, why not just have two pipes custom made and eliminate any connection of the two exhaust pipes all together. IS there any advantage to having the H or X over no connection at all?

The H or X will provide a scavenging effect..much like headers. On paper, the H will provide more bottom end TQ..and the X will provide more top end HP. Folks say the X sounds raspy.

It would be interesting to measure the difference between no connection at all vs a H / X. I'm guessing here, but I believe you would lose a fair amount. If a H /X is used.... you have in essence 2 x parallel paths from that point aft.

I wonder if anybody has done what you proposed ?

Jimbo

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
You will lose a hell of a lot of power if you delete the crossover. V8s have an uneven firing order and need the crossover in order to have exhaust flow exit efficiently and evenly.

I don't recommend it but go ahead try it for yourself. Delete the crossover and I can guarantee you that power will be lost and it would be tangible to say the least.

Last edited:

KryptonKnight

forum member
Reaction score
No crossover

Thanks for the get-backs. I don't know when or why Mfg.'s began using crossovers but I am pretty sure 60/70 muscle cars went straight back without them.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Remember, I have no cross over and had 15 more hp than a GT of the same year.

KryptonKnight

forum member
Reaction score
I'm done

Thanks for all of the comments but I have decided just to sell the X pipe and go on to other things.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back