Have a whining MT82? Take it in!

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Dropped mine off at the dealer last week. It's been whining for quite some time, but I ignored it. Then two weeks ago I started hearing a clunking with it in neutral and the clutch out.

I just stopped by the dealer today. The service advisor sent me in the back to talk to the tech. My car is neatly tucked in the back corner so no one fucks with it. :). Anyway, the tech said the hotline told him the countershaft front gear and input shaft gear are what is causing the whining. They have those on order. I could definitely see a little abnormal wear on those two gears. The clunking he said is most likely caused by a couple pressure plate springs that are sprung and hitting the throw out bearing. I figure this happened last summer when the PP bolts backed out on me. So, new pressure plate, new input shaft, and new countershaft front gear going in. Hopefully the parts aren't on back order!

Just thought I'd put this out here for others that may have the whining problem. It's a known issue with updated parts to fix it.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I had a similar whining issue with mine... I ended up twisting the input shaft and driveshaft and destroying my trans...

Glad you got it in before hand

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Same here...started whining one day and I predicted it was the input shaft bearing. All said and done, yep, that was the culprit but, it fubared a bunch of other stuff on the way out while I was convincing Ford I had a problem.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I really think it depends on the dealer. I've had exactly zero trouble from these guys. Took the tech for a ride two weeks ago and before we got out of the parking lot he said it definitely wasn't normal. They're even giving me a loaner car since they're going to have it several more days.

strictly180

forum member
Reaction score
i have a whining as well, i can feel on the shifter but the wierd thing is it will only whine when i turn the heater on, i shut the heater off the whining goes away. could this be the same problem or something else??

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have some real bad whining coming from the trans in my 2011 last year. The dealer just replaced it, didn't want to mess with it. I've got a pretty good dealer I take it to, even with the blower on there they replaced under warranty.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
Mine whined and was horribly notchy. I have a 7/10 build. They tore it down to find the same thing, failing imput shaft bearing, tons of metal in the pan, and synchros that looked like crap. Ended up putting a new transmission in it.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I really think it depends on the dealer. I've had exactly zero trouble from these guys. Took the tech for a ride two weeks ago and before we got out of the parking lot he said it definitely wasn't normal. They're even giving me a loaner car since they're going to have it several more days.

It definitely depends on the dealer, I had two turn me away on warranty work.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Its really a crapshoot with dealers. I've taken mine to two different dealers and they both were sub-par. One the service was just horrible. The other did more damage than they fixed. The tech scratched up my center console and almost stripped out the bolts on my Hurst shifter and then tore the wiring out of one of my tweeters. Then he had the nerve to put "extra time for aftermarket equip" or something to that effect on the ticket.

I have an exhaust leak on the drivers side somewhere. The dealer told me it was because I removed the plastic engine cover(wtf?) and so that was denied. Then I have what sounds like a bad wheel bearing and they told me the noise was normal and that I can hear it because the seat was folded down. I told them it was down so they could hear it. I hate dealing with Fords warranty. I think this will honestly be my last Ford.

Last edited:

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
No argument. I called Ford to complain about an issue I had with a dealer. It didn't solve a damn thing. But that dealership carries the Ford name.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Dealerships are independent businesses. You should have taken it up with the ownership of the dealership. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Mine's getting fixed without any resistance. Even with the tune on it.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Yes they are but if Ford doesn't pay on certain repairs the techs will not even bother with especially if its something that they consider minor

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
^ That isn't Ford's fault, that's the dealer. Buy a GM, you'll find the same problem. No matter the brand.

No it is Fords fault

I think fault lies with both companies. The above assessment that it's a total crapshoot with dealerships was spot-on. I've had pretty bad luck around here. One refused to replace a seat cover that had bubbles in the leather (didn't see when I picked it up since it was at night) with >50 miles on the car. Another refused to even troubleshoot a rear differential that sounded like a 4x4 on knobby tires whenever you turned the wheel at low speeds. Yet another refused to balance the wheels and tires upon delivery when I complained of severe vibrations since I admitted it was worse with TC off. They said the car is not covered under warranty if TC is off and that "the hotline" advised not to perform any work.

Are there good dealerships out there? Certainly ... It seems that finding one is an increasingly difficult task though.

Bottom line to me though is that Ford should hold these dealerships (as should any OEM) since it's their name and reputation on the line when customers deal with these dealerships. The vast majority of people don't understand that dealerships are private franchises and will project the poor dealings from these places onto the brand and go elsewhere ... usually to a foreign manufacturer.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
It seams as though with the everything that happen to the "Big 3," they are tightening their belts when it comes to warranty claims. Doesn't seem to matter if it's Ford fault(QC) or not. It feels like Ford tells the dealership to try and tell you the problem is normal or they could not produce the problem and they just push you out the door. This is my 5th Ford and 4th Mustang. This is the only one I've had problems with warranty wise and the most times taken in for warranty work. When I purchase a new vehicle I expect it to be near perfect. I understand there will be problems sometimes but those times the problem should get fixed without hassle. Warranty claims have to be approved by Ford before they tear into it.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Dealerships are constantly monitored by Ford against each other for warranty repair costs.
If you happen to find one that's done a lot of warranty repairs so now they're on the verge of being audited by Ford and being charged back a ton of money from work already done (months ago), you just found a dealership not willing to do much warranty work for a WHILE.
Also, when I was in the biz, almost a year ago, Ford had stopped paying no-problem-found types of claims, so the tech would give the car a quick test drive, and if didn't hear or notice anything, the car would be "done" with a No-Problem-Found stamp on the repair order and no more work would be performed.
I sometimes took it upon myself (as the Service Advisor) to drive the cars myself and see if I can duplicate the issue. If I did, I'd talk with the Svc Mgr about them driving it or about the tech looking into it deeper, which was sticky since Ford also doesn't like to pay for lots of diag time, AND then a big repair (such as a transmission repair)

That being said, I have some whining and some whirring from my trans, but I'm figuring I'm gonna wait until I bring them a bucket of broken metal to replace the whole unit instead of repairing the unit that's in there now.
Plus, the noises I'm hearing I've heard before in other transmissions, some brand-new on the lot, so I don't think I really have any issues, certainly none that can't wait.

And if they won't cover it, then there's the T56 option, especially since I'm thinking that at some point I'll supercharge this thing ... lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sometimes it might seem better to simply buy used rather than possibly fighting for warranty work. Buy something 1-2 years old after the first owner has shaken out all the problems, and if you buy it from a dealer then they have fixed the issues in order to sell the car.

I don't want anything to do with warranties because it's simply too much hassle. I couldn't even get the stupid leaking rear axle vent replaced because the dealer wanted to charge me shop time for a full vehicle inspection before they would even consider looking at it. I just bought the part from Tousley and replaced it myself.

Several years ago when Ford recalled millions of trucks due to cruise control fires, the fix was swapping out a little wiring harness that plugs into the brake master cylinder. Takes about 3 minutes. I tried 3 times to get it done (it could be done in the parking lot in less time than filling out the paperwork) and all three times the dealer wanted me to leave my truck for a half day. Again, I ended up buying the $12 harness and replaced it myself. I'm still getting letters from Ford telling me to get the recall work performed. Screw dealership service departments!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
We've done so many of those recalls right in the drive-in area ...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back