Have a whining MT82? Take it in!

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Just got my car back from the dealer with the new trans in it. The shifter is really nice and crisp, best of all the annoying whining is gone. Only thing is now the motor for the drivers side power seat went bad now. One thing after the next with this car.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Just got my car back from the dealer with the new trans in it. The shifter is really nice and crisp, best of all the annoying whining is gone. Only thing is now the motor for the drivers side power seat went bad now. One thing after the next with this car.

No kidding? Mine just died too ... worked when I put it away for the winter, crapped out the first time I tried to move the seat.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a bitch having to make another appointment and arranging for someone to follow me to drop off my car.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a bitch having to make another appointment and arranging for someone to follow me to drop off my car.

I hear ya ... I need to take mine in for the trans and seat motor. Not looking forward to being without a stang for some of the best weather of the season. Maybe I'll just see if I can survive until late fall with a halfway busted trans and halfway busted seat motor lol...

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread. But most my questions were answered in the thread. I'm in fort hood tx. My mt82 is whining really bad. Went on a road trip with the wife. By the time I got back 1-4 gear whines. As well as 6th. 5th is the only gear that doesn't.

I reallllly don't wanna de mod it before taking it into the local automax ford dealer here. So anyone in Texas have a dealer that would do warranty work without me having to de mod. I haven't even taken it to the track. Just a few 3rd gear pulls here and there.

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread. But most my questions were answered in the thread. I'm in fort hood tx. My mt82 is whining really bad. Went on a road trip with the wife. By the time I got back 1-4 gear whines. As well as 6th. 5th is the only gear that doesn't.

I reallllly don't wanna de mod it before taking it into the local automax ford dealer here. So anyone in Texas have a dealer that would do warranty work without me having to de mod. I haven't even taken it to the track. Just a few 3rd gear pulls here and there.

Unless you have more mods than your sig indicates you have no reason to fear taking it in.

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score

I took mine in just over the 60k miles and Ford ended putting in a brand new one in because the parts to rebuild was on back order. I did have to pay part of it because I was just over the 60k miles but none of my mods was a factor on them covering it. Here was the thread I started about my tranny http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113111

DOFORLIFE

forum member
Reaction score
I have taken my car in 4 times now for the clutch doesn't feel like it completely disengages. It feels like it has to wind up to drop in each gear unless your running flat out. 2nd gear grind once and a while even when hot. When it's cold 2nd and 4th grind shortly into gear and if you wind out second gear it whines. The clutch is also really noise if you push the clutch in, slide it into any gear and let out in nutreal and it clunks and reminds me of a bad throw out bearing. The techs never hear it but i can hear it constantly. I have drive many manual cars and i know this should not be normal and if they think something might be wrong they only have autos to compare it to on the lot. The two different dealers I have been to say it's normal. I call bull shit.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
I'm not sure how new some folks in this thread are to driving a modded or un-modded sport/muscle car but in my experience I can't think of any car in OEM trim with a manual gear box south of $75K that's transmission is worth more than a bucket of piss once you start driving the car with an attitude.

Don't matter if its a Ford / Chevy / Dodge / Mitsu / Subaru / Nissan/ Honda..etc..etc

Moral of the story, if your going to fuck around with these cars and you have a manual gear box just save yourself the heartache and start saving for a "better" transmission...NOW! I wouldn't spend more then a few hundred bucks out of pocket if your MT-82 needs fixin because beyond that your just pissing money straight out the window.

My tranny doesn't make any whining noises (yet) but it does "Clunk" like nobodies business because of all the slop/play built into the damn thing from the factory so it can work in multiple applications. Throw in a nice 2 piece band aide ....errrr...I mean driveshaft and it covers up the problem nicely said the man behind the curtain.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
You mean a 1pc driveshaft?

The MT82 is actually a good transmission once you do the supporting mods. Good shifter (MGW), Whiteline trans bushing, quality fluid (Amsoil MTG/MTF or Redline MTL) and a braided stainless clutch line. My first mt82 was replaced at 23k miles. I'm at 74k miles now and I enjoy my MT82.

Eyvazk

Reaction score
I finally got around to remembering to bring in my paper from the dealer. Here is the official list of parts replaced, with part numbers and quantities:

Qty Part # Description
1 BR3Z-7048-A Input shaft seal
1 BR3Z-7A010-A Blanking plug
1 CR3Z-7017-A Input shaft
1 CR3Z-7144-A 5th speed cluster gear
1 BR3Z-6375-D Flywheel assembly
1 BR3Z-7B546-AE Clutch assembly
9 W715869-S439 Self-locking bolt and washer assembly
6 W715869-S439 Self-locking bolt and washer assembly
2 BR3Z-5B266-A Gasket
4 BR3Z-5A231-C Clamp
1 TA-26 Adhesive
1 TA-30 Silicone sealant
3 XT-11-QDC Transmission fluid
1 BR3A-7124-DB Synchronizer hub
8 BR3Z-6379-A Hex head bolt
1 PM-1-C Brake fluid
3 N800594-S100 Bolt

That's everything on the work order I received. The technician comments are this:

VERIFIED CUST CONCERN CLUNK WHEN RUNNING STILL WHINE IN 1 THROUGH 4TH GEAR GOES AWAY IN 5TH AND 6TH REMOVED TRANS INSPECTED PRESSURE PLATE FOUND HALF OF THE RELEASE SPRINGS FURTHER RELEASED THAN OTHERS TORE DOWN TRANS FOUND INPUT SHAFT AND COUNTERSHAFT FORWARD GEAR TO HAVE EXCESSIVE WEAR GEAR CLASH CAUSING WHINE REPLACED WITH NEW AND INSTALLED NEW FLYWHEEL CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE FILLED WITH NEW DOUBE DRY CLUTCH ATF VERIFIED REPAIR

This has completely eliminated all gripes I have with the transmission itself. I do still have an issue with the shifter being too far forward in the console but after taking it back once to squak about that I won't take it in again as I want to maintain a good relationship with them in case I need them in the future. So I'll bite the $130 for a new shifter assembly from Tousley and replace it myself.

I finally got around to remembering to bring in my paper from the dealer. Here is the official list of parts replaced, with part numbers and quantities:

Qty Part # Description
1 BR3Z-7048-A Input shaft seal
1 BR3Z-7A010-A Blanking plug
1 CR3Z-7017-A Input shaft
1 CR3Z-7144-A 5th speed cluster gear
1 BR3Z-6375-D Flywheel assembly
1 BR3Z-7B546-AE Clutch assembly
9 W715869-S439 Self-locking bolt and washer assembly
6 W715869-S439 Self-locking bolt and washer assembly
2 BR3Z-5B266-A Gasket
4 BR3Z-5A231-C Clamp
1 TA-26 Adhesive
1 TA-30 Silicone sealant
3 XT-11-QDC Transmission fluid
1 BR3A-7124-DB Synchronizer hub
8 BR3Z-6379-A Hex head bolt
1 PM-1-C Brake fluid
3 N800594-S100 Bolt

That's everything on the work order I received. The technician comments are this:

VERIFIED CUST CONCERN CLUNK WHEN RUNNING STILL WHINE IN 1 THROUGH 4TH GEAR GOES AWAY IN 5TH AND 6TH REMOVED TRANS INSPECTED PRESSURE PLATE FOUND HALF OF THE RELEASE SPRINGS FURTHER RELEASED THAN OTHERS TORE DOWN TRANS FOUND INPUT SHAFT AND COUNTERSHAFT FORWARD GEAR TO HAVE EXCESSIVE WEAR GEAR CLASH CAUSING WHINE REPLACED WITH NEW AND INSTALLED NEW FLYWHEEL CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE FILLED WITH NEW DOUBE DRY CLUTCH ATF VERIFIED REPAIR

This has completely eliminated all gripes I have with the transmission itself. I do still have an issue with the shifter being too far forward in the console but after taking it back once to squak about that I won't take it in again as I want to maintain a good relationship with them in case I need them in the future. So I'll bite the $130 for a new shifter assembly from Tousley and replace it myself.

I seem to have this same exact problem with 2011 mustang gt 5.0. Based on initial diagnosis from a few mechanics I was hoping to replace just the input shaft bearing and counter shaft bearing only. The list above is way more parts. Was the whining sound disappearing when you pressed clutch? In my case it disappears, that is how they eliminated clutch as being an issue along with some other symptoms.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back