have koni sports? come on in...

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
how long have they lasted you on a lowered setup? im on roush springs lowered 1" and have read posts stating they arent lasting to long. This is possibly due to the consistent decreased travel from being lowered. just wanted to hear real world stories as im thinking about jumping on them but not if they arent going to last more than 5 months. my car is not a daily and i autocross a few times a year. thanks

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
yes i understand that they can be rebuilt, just concerned about them failing prematurely to begin with. there was a thread on here where some people were lowered (dont know how much) and due to the decreased suspension travel, the konis would wear out premature and had to be revalved after like 5 months to a year. im wondering how much of a drop in ride height is enough to affect shocks or was it a bad batch since everyone seems to love them.... and also wondering how long the konis are lasting people?

bullitt boy

Reaction score
I have the yellows on my 09 with P springs 1" drop all around been on for 10k miles no issues yet. ride is excellent. Just installed em on the 2014 and am trying to decide what springs to use the p springs I bought don't seem to fit with the set up.they won't seat correctly in the stock strut mounts and the konis won't work with the gt500 strut mounts.

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
cool thanks guys keep it coming! bullit boy i did not know that about the konis not fitting the gt500 mounts....is that a 2011-14 gts issue or can i make them work for a 2007 gt? ive read to always get the gt500 mount so kinda confused lol thanks guys

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
I got a brand new set in box with H&R Race springs and MM Camber-caster plates. Not installed yet, but I read good reviews on this combo.

This is for street/track use. I'll track it once a week with my local lapping club + few track days.

Can't wait to try it !

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had Konis for almost 4 years now on a lowered Mustang. I've put over 30,000 miles and countless autocrosses on them.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
I have the yellows with P springs and GT500 mounts and have no issues

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have the yellows on my 09 with P springs 1" drop all around been on for 10k miles no issues yet. ride is excellent. Just installed em on the 2014 and am trying to decide what springs to use the p springs I bought don't seem to fit with the set up.they won't seat correctly in the stock strut mounts and the konis won't work with the gt500 strut mounts.

Before everybody gets all bent out of shape over this post, keep in mind that he's talking about the 2011-2014 struts not working with the GT500 mounts. 99% of people upgrading their struts on a 2011-2014 simply buy the 2005-2010 struts and GT500 strut mounts. I wasn't even aware that Koni had a new part number for the 2011-2014 until this post.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
^ thats the ticket , I didn't know there was a difference till I tried to put the yellows I bought on the gt500 strut mounts I bought.Both strut mounts t500 type and P springs on sale now cheap.

07SGT4743

Reaction score
I had them on my Shelby GT (K springs) for ~22K miles without any issues at all. About 2k miles ago, I had them converted into double adjustables and added the Maximum Motorsports camber plates. The car still rides / handles great with no noise, etc.

I don't daily drive the car, but it is used exclusively for autocross and is driven to all events, including some real long cross country trips.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
If anybody is looking for a deal on the Koni struts and shocks.
Autoanything.com is having a huge sale on them until the 15th. $341 for the Str.ts front and rears.
hard to beat that price. They're giving 20% on top of their discount prices. They sent me a code.
not for the yellows. The orange

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We are a very large Koni distributor. We ship multiple sets out each week, for years now.

I can count on one hand, errrr.....2 fingers, how many issues I have had with Konis. (STR.T or Yellows)

They are not the best damper out there, but they are good for the price and they do honor their lifetime warranty.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I have a set of the '11+ Konis with Steeda Sports and Vorshlag CC plates. There's probably 15000+ miles and several autocrosses on them with no issues. AFAIK, the only difference between the 05-10 and 11-14 models is the length and diameter of the mount threads on the shaft.

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to spoil the Koni love fest but you wanted honest experience soo...

Bought Koni Yellows from a forum member, new, uninstalled. Ran them with Eibach Pro's (1" drop) on my 06. I mainly autocross my my car. After about 4 months of 1-2 events per, and commuting I started to get some very severe popping sounds coming from the suspension. I had some other people who are very well versed in mustang suspensions ride with me and all thought that I had some bushing failure either in the LCA's, UCA, etc.

Everything was in good shape and after the autoX season completed I planned on pulling the koni's and upgrading anyway, so I pulled them off the car. They still looked as new as the day I took them out of the box, except now, two were blown. One front, one rear. Little bit of oil leak on the front, but both shafts push in and do not expand back. No more rebound. 4 Months.

Put my OEM shocks/struts in, popping suspension sound went away also.

I had no idea while on the car that they were not functioning correctly other then the audible sound I got. Im willing to bet if others that use them for autocross were to pull them off the car they would have this little surprise as well. I'm also willing to bet that "Lifetime" warranty disappears real fast if you tell Koni honestly what you have used that damper for. Lowered car, AutoX, HPDE.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've spoken with a couple vendors about Koni shocks and all of them say that Koni is very easy to work with on warranty replacements. On the other hand I've also heard that Tokico is terrible to work with and a lot of vendors quit carrying their shocks because of the difficulty in getting warranty replacements. So before you assume, you might try asking. I'm sure with a couple phone calls or emails you can probably get those blown shocks replaced for free.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back