Help 302 build won't start!

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, been finishing up my built 302 stroker (b302 kit) and I can't seem to get her to start up.

I have checked most of the spark plugs and they are getting spark, going to check the rest when my helper comes back... I have compression and I have fuel pressure. I was told by LITO, my tuner, that everything looks good on the data log like Rpm signal , fuel pressure, etc. There was fuel on the plugs so the injectors seem to be working.

I don't know what to start checking from here. The fuses are all good and I've triple checked all the electrical connections. The only thing not plugged in is the cmcv plug as I have the saleen blower.

The engine keeps cranking and cranking with no signs of coming to life but no abnormal sounds are coming from the engine either.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
You sure your tune is good; meaning PCM code, strategy code, etc...?

Sounds like you are getting a No Start condition if all your hardware configuration is correct.

Last edited:

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
Haven't finished checking all sparks but so far 4/8 are confirmed good.

The tune should be perfect the guy LITO is amazing when it comes to tuning and I sent him my PCM code and xcal serial so it should be good. The engine turns over without any abnormal sounds but won't start up

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, always hear how amazing LITO is....but even amazing people sometimes make mistakes... LOL (just had to say it) :p

OK... Just keep checking, might me something minor... lol
I would assume if 4/8 are getting spark, you would at least start and rough idle...

rlockhart89

Reaction score
i know you said u had fuel pressure but check to see if ur Fuel pump is on because i know with the gt500 pumps where my relay is mounted in the trunk it sometimes comes unplugged... same situation car spools flywheel but doesnt fire.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd make sure the battery was good and fully charged. Eliminate that as a variable.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
You said you sent Lito your PCM code.

Did you send him the 4 digit code on the sticker on the outside of the PCM or did you actually hook up your tuner and pull the strategy directly from the PCM?

b00stedgt

Reaction score
This same thing happened to me. Put the stock tune in and see if it starts. Mine would not start with five different tunes. Loaded it to stock and it fired right up. Ended up being a tune issue even though my tuner had all the right info

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
You said you sent Lito your PCM code.

Did you send him the 4 digit code on the sticker on the outside of the PCM or did you actually hook up your tuner and pull the strategy directly from the PCM?

I sent him the 4 digit code. My strategy from the xcal was a diff number.

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
This same thing happened to me. Put the stock tune in and see if it starts. Mine would not start with five different tunes. Loaded it to stock and it fired right up. Ended up being a tune issue even though my tuner had all the right info

Even with all the mods I have? It wouldn't be dangerous to try w the stock tune?

Anyone know how to confirm the fuel pump is on and running? I have the reading from the fuel pump duty cycle from live link and its value changed as I was starting it so I figured that meant the pump was running.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is why you unplug the MAF and try to start it; with the MAF unplugged the car defaults to canned fuel tables and bypasses the computer/tunes which will let you know if the issue is hardware or software.

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
Hmm ok I'll go try. I'm worried now I might have flooded it from trying to start it so many times. Is there something I can do to clear it out? The plugs are pretty wet when they come out of the block but not dripping or anything.

Battery is charged now

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I sent him the 4 digit code. My strategy from the xcal was a diff number.

I realize the strategy is different than the 4 digit PCM code

My point is, if the PCM has ever been reflashed by the dealer, the 4 digit box code may not be correct and you have a tune which isn't correct for your current OEM strategy.

Did you ever give Lito the strategy from your PCM?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm ok I'll go try. I'm worried now I might have flooded it from trying to start it so many times. Is there something I can do to clear it out? The plugs are pretty wet when they come out of the block but not dripping or anything.

Battery is charged now

Yes; hold the pedal to the floor when starting it to clear the flood.

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
I realize the strategy is different than the 4 digit PCM code

My point is, if the PCM has ever been reflashed by the dealer, the 4 digit box code may not be correct and you have a tune which isn't correct for your current OEM strategy.

Did you ever give Lito the strategy from your PCM?

No never gave him the strategy but I'm almost positive I never had the dealer flash it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back