Help! Best way to get locking lug nut off w/out key

Grey Ghost

forum member
Reaction score
Sooo, I've lost my key for my locking lug nuts and can't get my wheels off. Any suggestions on what to do? I've gotta think someone on here has had the same problem once in their life.

Let me know!

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
mcgard locks? this just happened to me, hammer a iirc a 3/4 socket on the locks and crank them off. then take the wheel off and screw it all the way down on a stud and wiggle the socket off, be careful don't get to aggressive and break a stud

Grey Ghost

forum member
Reaction score
Find a socket that a little too small and drive it on the locks. I've done this a few times.

Sent from iPhone

I think I might try this. Any idea which size socket to use?

mcgard locks? this just happened to me, hammer a iirc a 3/4 socket on the locks and crank them off. then take the wheel off and screw it all the way down on a stud and wiggle the socket off, be careful don't get to aggressive and break a stud

Yes, they are the McGard locks. What's the iirc?

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
If that doesn't work any good auto parts store has sockets designed for this. It has heavy left hand threads that will bite on the lug nut. I used one about 6 months ago and it worked great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Grey Ghost

forum member
Reaction score

If that doesn't work any good auto parts store has sockets designed for this. It has heavy left hand threads that will bite on the lug nut. I used one about 6 months ago and it worked great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! Yeah, the problem with that is the remover is that's it's too thick to fit in the socket well of the rim. I'm gonna try to hammer on a 12pt socket that's slightly smaller to get it off.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you still want to use locking lug nuts after this ordeal I have an unused set I'll give you for shipping cost. Some people think they are actually useful for something.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back